• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Welcome to Houston

mryo

Reaction score
Hi y'all - I moved to Houston w my wife and kids 4 yrs ago. Learned abou adv bikes and riding about 6 months after the move when I was looking for a bike to commute to work on. Now I've been riding for 3 years on vstrom 650. I've been on one big ride at a Colorado training camp and done a bit of mudding in the housing development construction zone but otherwise nothing off-road. I'd really like to explore Sam Houston NF on a Saturday some time.

open

:tab You might find the Strom a bit much to manage if you want to ride the SHNF trails (also bike must have OHV sticker). However, if you simply want to ride on dirt roads and forest service roads, you will be fine. Once you get North of Hwy 105 a bit, there are tons of dirt roads. If you go East of I-45, you will start getting into the deep sand of East Texas. West of 45 is usually more hard packed/gravel with only occasional sand.

Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you replace the Strom? That looks like a GS in your avatar image... :ponder:

GS was a rental in Colorado. Did the RawHyde training camp - tons of fun. It was a fun bike. I like my wee better though - just wish it had a bit more clearance.

That is awesome that you got to do the RawHyde camp! I'd love to do that on my 1200 GS. Most of what I have learned has been via the school of hard knocks... and rocks... and flips... and...

I didn't get to ride one of the 1200s but everyone that was on them loved them. Couldn't get over how easy they were to handle. Maybe someday.

Back