• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

iPod Touch/Iphone with TomTom App - Anyone Using?

Reaction score
I've been contemplating buying the TomTom application (http://iphone.tomtom.com/ ) for use with my iPod Touch (2nd Gen). I know that you also need the Adapter Kit (includes an external GPS receiver and antenna).

The TomTom application (for the USA maps) is available in the Application Store for $39.95 and the Car Kit is another $80.

Does anyone have any experience with this combination? If I can go this way, I can use my iPod for music, and have the TomTom application give me voice instructions in my Bluetooth helmet (interrupting the music if it's on).

Thanks for your insights.

Larry

I use the Motion x GPS drive app. 99 cents I think. it uses the phone GPS and works well within cellular range. I used it along side a rental car never lost and it matched point for point.

much cheaper than TOM. only negative is requires to be in cell range (GPSwise).

Thanks for the info - looks like a very good solution. My iPod Touch does not have an integral GPS chipset, so I was researching some external GPS units for the iPod Touch - besides the TomTom car adapter mentioned above, I came across this little nifty device from Orange Gadgets (http://www.orangegadgets.com/ ) - the iGPS360 module with USB cable. It simple plugs into the port on the bottom of the iPod (or iPhone), but still enables you to have the USB port available for other things, including charging while on the bike. It appears to be compatible with the MotionX GPS application you mentioned, among others in the iTunes Application Store. The Orange Gadget folks recommended a free GPS navigation package as well on their website.

Again, thanks for the info.
Larry

I've been using the Motion X Drive with my iPad 3G, works well enough, as long as you have cellular reception to download the maps. Price is right for what it is.

The reason the Tom Tom app is more expensive is that you actually download the maps to your phone. Don't need a cell signal to navigate.

I got the TomTom app and cradle, but only plan on using it in the cage. Reason being that several on here have mentioned their iPhone was ruined when it got wet. Advantages to the TomTom seem to be that it will recharge your iPd instead of it using the battery. Also you don't have to jailbreak your iPod. Just some observations.
The TomTom cradle just showed up yesterday so I have not had much of a chance to use it, but it seems to work pretty good. Different from my Garmin's, but OK.

Does the TomTom app allow you to store custom routes or does it just route from Point A to Point B?

Back