• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Triumph electrical problem

Reaction score
First Name
kelly
Last Name
woody
Just bought a new rocket 3 roadster. At first service, I pointed out that brake light was staying on. Alamo triumph/bmw could not fix it that Sat. So I had to go back to Corpus without it. They called me today and said they couldn't trace the problem and would have to order a new wiring harness from the uk and it would take about two weeks.
I have bought about 6 new bikes in my lifetime, and this is the first issue I've had. I'm I being paranoid about this? Has anyone had similar issues with Alamo Triumph in SA or Rocket 3 in general. Maybe I should have stayed with Honda.

yes better off with Honda! no Lucas parts.

this is probably not the right place for this type of post. general or tech would have been best.

First. no problems of any kind with my 09 Bonneville. Second...the 2nd new bike I ever bought was a Honda, and on the way home (in Houston, in the rain) the shifter mechanism fell apart. Fortunately, I managed to reassemble it on the roadside-- without getting 'bike-jacked'. Proved to be a good bike-- but sloppily assembled and checked out by the dealer. Evil gremlins strike all makes (and the competence of the service department often outweights the pros and cons of the manufacturer. Finally, I don't think the legendary "Prince of Darkness" supplies the electrics for the Hinckley Triumphs...

Welcome to the site! :wave:

It happens. I remember Honda VFR regulator/rectifier horror stories, BMW final drive failures on new bikes, oiling issues for Suzuki Bandits, Doo-Hickey issues on Kawasaki KLR's, and on and on....

Sorry for the whining, especially as I am new here. It's just tough to buy a new bike and only get to ride it 500 miles back and forth from Corpus just to leave it for God knows how long. Well at least I have my bonneville to ride in the meantime, it only leaks a little oil.

Welcome to the site! :wave:

It happens. I remember Honda VFR regulator/rectifier horror stories, BMW final drive failures on new bikes, oiling issues for Suzuki Bandits, Doo-Hickey issues on Kawasaki KLR's, and on and on....

After much discussion/hunting for the truth the Bandit "oiling problem" was NEVER VERIFIED nor did the op step up to the plate with proof. IIRC, the op quickly disappeared after spreading his unsubstanciated questionable post. Of course, as always, I can be shown otherwise. my .02

Sorry for the whining, especially as I am new here. It's just tough to buy a new bike and only get to ride it 500 miles back and forth from Corpus just to leave it for God knows how long. Well at least I have my bonneville to ride in the meantime, it only leaks a little oil.

Oh don't worry, if my new bike was sitting in the shop instead of being ridden by me, I'd be "whining" too! :lol2:

After much discussion/hunting for the truth the Bandit "oiling problem" was NEVER VERIFIED nor did the op step up to the plate with proof. IIRC, the op quickly disappeared after spreading his unsubstanciated questionable post. Of course, as always, I can be shown otherwise. my .02

I'm thinking of the 1200's, not the 1250's. I thought the issue on the 1200's was verified and warrantied by Suzuki?

BMW never admitted to there being a problem with the final drives :doh: Same for Honda and their Reg/Rec's. However, both later redesigned the "non problem" parts ;-) Kawasaki doesn't seem to care about the Doo-hickey. Fixing that is just a given if you buy a KLR.

Just bought a new rocket 3 roadster. At first service, I pointed out that brake light was staying on. Alamo triumph/bmw could not fix it that Sat. So I had to go back to Corpus without it. They called me today and said they couldn't trace the problem and would have to order a new wiring harness from the uk and it would take about two weeks.
I have bought about 6 new bikes in my lifetime, and this is the first issue I've had. I'm I being paranoid about this? Has anyone had similar issues with Alamo Triumph in SA or Rocket 3 in general. Maybe I should have stayed with Honda.

You could check out the rocket forum on triumphrat http://www.triumphrat.net/the-rocket-science-forum/

If the problem is endemic to the breed, it's probably been discussed there.

Back