• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Galeana, Mexico ride - May 21-26, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Web is reporting epicenter as "37 km north of Tecpan de Galeana". Hence the possible confusion. But it is in Guerrero state. Loooong way away.

Yep that was it. I'm geographically challenged haha

Hey SB, you want to go?

No cant. Working on the Wee for Strom-A-Thon in two weeks. Plus I'm spending a week in Sonora Mexico next month also so need to ration my time away from work some so it doesn't appear I'm gone too much.

_

Very informative day! Thanks Richard, JT and Milton. See ya'll in as few weeks.

ATGATT.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking , maybe incorrectly , that the big bike contingent for Ga-le-ana is sliding by the way side. Hopefully not, but this thread died. What's happened ?

ATGATT.

I'm still in and I rode a little bit with DRZBRI last Thursday getting to know him so I know he's going. I've been busy ordering things and trying to get my ducks in a row lately.

I assume we'll try and keep the same schedule as others as far as what day we enter and exit Mexico. Enter on the Wednesday the 21st and cross back over on Monday the 26th. Correct?

Do we want to go Tuesday or Wednesday? If Tuesday just add a Galeana night.

Wednesday: To McAllen. Process paper work and return to US side for the night or stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Reynosa (JT's suggestion)

Thursday: Reynosa to Galeana

Friday: Day ride, overnight in Galeana

Saturday: Day ride, overnight in Galeana

Sunday: Galeana to McAllen

Monday: McAllen to Home

Last edited:
I'm in class in San Antonio until Tuesday around noon. I expected to go to McAllen from there and take care of anything across the border that I can that evening. I should have most paperwork done before I leave home though.

Everyone staying at the Motel 6?

I am still in, I want to have everything taken care of prior to heading to McAllen if possible. If not I will wrap things up Tuesday night and would like to cross border Wednesday morning to head to Galeana get settled and would still most likely have time for a half day of riding or at least a bit of exploring on that day. I would like to get at least 3
Days riding in Galeana if everyone else is ok that.

questions for the group are all logistics questions. How to get to McAllen (ride or trailer?); Go to McAllen Tuesday evening and overnight in a local motel or ride there on Wednesday morning?

Lee, that was part of post 17. I got it my head that most would be arriving in McAllen sometime Tuesday and beginning the trek to Galeana Wednesday morning. Lee does that work for you (and the others, please chime in)?

That's a little bit of a haul from Midlothian and I'd like to spend as much time there as possible. :rider:

Lee, that was part of post 17. I got it my head that most would be arriving in McAllen sometime Tuesday and beginning the trek to Galeana Wednesday morning. Lee does that work for you (and the others, please chime in)?

That's a little bit of a haul from Midlothian and I'd like to spend as much time there as possible. :rider:

Me also on the time spent actually enjoying the riding in mountains part of the trip. If we could get more than 3 days in that would be cool also. Getting down there is a bit of a pain so I would love to actually see 4 days of riding if we all could work that.

Me also on the time spent actually enjoying the riding in mountains part of the trip. If we could get more than 3 days in that would be cool also. Getting down there is a bit of a pain so I would love to actually see 4 days of riding if we all could work that.

Leaving Tuesday and staring our adventure Wednesday morning works for me as well.
I need to be back home on Monday early afternoon. That would have me riding Wednesday thru Sunday. With 3 full days in Galeana and 2 partial days.
And if others want to spend Sunday night in Galeana I could just make my way back alone. Should be no problem.

ATGATT.

Last edited:
So, do we have a for sure list of folks going down on big bikes? If so, has anyone started the Mexico tourist paperwork for themselves / bike?

I'm in on the Wee for sure Brian.

I plan on going to the Mexican Consulate in Dallas probably Friday for my vehicle permit. Haven't taken care of the insurance on line yet.

We talked briefly about staying another day. Any thoughts yet? Asking because I'll have to show an exit day on the paperwork.

I haven't seen anyone other than Timbercat posting recently about going. I was curious who was still in as well.

I plan on going to the Mexican Consulate in Dallas probably Friday for my vehicle permit. Haven't taken care of the insurance on line yet.

We talked briefly about staying another day. Any thoughts yet? Asking because I'll have to show an exit day on the paperwork.

I haven't seen anyone other than Timbercat posting recently about going. I was curious who was still in as well.

I was planning on doing mine for the 20th - 27th in case things changed slightly. It doesn't cost extra for extra days and no penalty for coming back early but definatley a penalty for coming back late to the tune of $400.00 U.S.D.

Also, I believe you can do it all online from what I have briefly read. I do know that it has to be at least 7 days in advance so just FYI and that may or may not be business days as it didn't specify on the web site so I just want to get a thumbs up from everyone that we are indeed going and I will do mine this week. We also need a final head count for hotel reservations.

I'm still in. Will start the on-line paper work today. A mini suite with a spa will work at the hotel Brian.

I was planning on doing mine for the 20th - 27th in case things changed slightly. It doesn't cost extra for extra days and no penalty for coming back early but definatley a penalty for coming back late to the tune of $400.00 U.S.D.

(1) Get your TVIP for the maximum valid period of 180 days

(2) Cost is the same

(3) Remember, your TVIP is valid only as long as your tourist visa is valid, so ask for 180 days on that as well

Note: There is no reason to "short state" your visa or TVIP. On the outside chance your bike breaks or something else pops up, you might need the extra time.

Note: If you are returning from Mexico and are positive you won't use the remaining time on your TVIP, go ahead and cancel it. As far as your tourist visa is concerned, technically, that is supposed to be cancelled as well, but in practice, nobody I know does that. I have never cancelled a tourist visa leaving Mexico. I also use one TVIP multiple times - I only cancel when I'm nearing the end of the 180 window and I'm positive I won't be using it anymore.

(1) Get your TVIP for the maximum valid period of 180 days

(2) Cost is the same

(3) Remember, your TVIP is valid only as long as your tourist visa is valid, so ask for 180 days on that as well

Note: There is no reason to "short state" your visa or TVIP. On the outside chance your bike breaks or something else pops up, you might need the extra time.

Note: If you are returning from Mexico and are positive you won't use the remaining time on your TVIP, go ahead and cancel it. As far as your tourist visa is concerned, technically, that is supposed to be cancelled as well, but in practice, nobody I know does that. I have never cancelled a tourist visa leaving Mexico. I also use one TVIP multiple times - I only cancel when I'm nearing the end of the 180 window and I'm positive I won't be using it anymore.

Very good to know. Thanks for the info.

Trice, do you have to cancel the vehicle permit at the border or can that be done at the consulate? I know it is usually done at the border just curious.

^ Good question

It has to be done at a border aduana

(well, technically you can do it at the airport in DF (Mexico City) when air freighting but that's beyond the scope here)

The whole point behind the TVIP process is to help ensure motor vehicles don't get "dumped" in Mexico.

They will sell you one online and/or issue one at a consulate all day long, but to cancel it and get your deposit back (and be eligible for future TVIPs under your name) you have to be "verified" leaving the country with your bike.

Figued so but just wanted to verify.

Note: If you get one at a consulate and fail to use it, you have to take it to the border to cancel it.

I don't keep up with the possibility that a consulate might change this policy. It was as I stated last time I bothered to check. I skip the consulate thing since online TVIPs are so easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back