• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I will be riding in Texas soon - need advices

Re: I will be riding in Texas soon - Need your advices :)

:tab I rode from my home here in Huntsville to NE Alabama, just shy of Deals Gap, in one day. It was around 760 miles. I took me from about 8:00am until about 1:00am. It rained like crazy almost the entire way! That was on a VFR 800. It is doable, but if you are not used to riding really long distances, it can really wear you out and leave you worn out before you even get to start riding where it's fun to ride :doh:

:tab Do some checking to see if you can get insurance here. If we know that for sure, then we can see about locating a loaner bike for you to ride. I have a fun route through East Texas that is about 400-450 miles. If you can run that and feel pretty good, that would give you a good idea about how you might do on a longer ride to Atlanta.

You had a VFR800? Which year is it?
I had a Silver 2005 VFR and sold it.
Now I have a RWB ABS 2007 VFR and really enjoy.

I think I gotta focus on what I want to do the most. That's twisty Smoky.

Great news on the East Texas route, Tourmeiser. I am really excited about that.

I can't believe no one has mentioned gear yet. Hydration pack is a must for long rides in the south. Camel back or similar work. Also, pick up a set of frog toggs. They pack small and will keep you dry enough. Its not uncommon to see rain (strong thunderstorms and similar) to pop up in the gulf states.
If you get a chance to break away from Houston, head west to San Antonio (3 twisted sisters come to mind) or Austin. There are some beautiful roads out that way with lots of hill and good speed limits.
I do recommended skipping the ride along I10. There isn't much, just trees, trees and more trees. Oh and its straight shots for most of it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Thanks. I heard from my friend that there are not many good roads for the one love to ride twisties like me.
Oh, we may have a few. We just hide them. Just for me, I wouldn't try to get to the Smokies. I'd do the Texas Hill Country but most especially Arkansas and Southern Missouri. Lots more fun than slabbing it to Deal's Gap. The Ozark roads are every bit as twisty, less traffic, less touristy.

I can't believe no one has mentioned gear yet. Hydration pack is a must for long rides in the south. Camel back or similar work. Also, pick up a set of frog toggs. They pack small and will keep you dry enough. Its not uncommon to see rain (strong thunderstorms and similar) to pop up in the gulf states.
If you get a chance to break away from Houston, head west to San Antonio (3 twisted sisters come to mind) or Austin. There are some beautiful roads out that way with lots of hill and good speed limits.
I do recommended skipping the ride along I10. There isn't much, just trees, trees and more trees. Oh and its straight shots for most of it.

Ok, I gotta buy one when getting there anyway. Thanks for reminder. :eat:

Oh, we may have a few. We just hide them. Just for me, I wouldn't try to get to the Smokies. I'd do the Texas Hill Country but most especially Arkansas and Southern Missouri. Lots more fun than slabbing it to Deal's Gap. The Ozark roads are every bit as twisty, less traffic, less touristy.

Is it? So what shoud I do to get those hidden roads? How far are they from Houston downtown?
The need of experiencing Deal's gap just because it's has been promoted as very wellknown roads for any bikers.
Texans should do so for all the hidden nice roads, then we can explore without going too far :rider:

Is it? So what shoud I do to get those hidden roads? How far are they from Houston downtown?

From Houston, about 3 to 4 hours west or north west. It can be done in a single day if you push it, but I would recommend an overnight in San Antonio or Austin just so you can enjoy it. Houston is a huge city and you can drive upwards of an hour just to get out into the 'country' depending on traffic.

Where is mr2mch? He is like a walking GPS and knows all the good stuff.

Also, deals gap has gotten so popular, its not really twisties anymore. It gets over crowded and police patrol it a lot. If you do run it, do it during the week. It will be less traffic, but still not open road.

Last edited:

My thoughts on your visit.

Houston to Atlanta has a lot of good fishing spots along the Gulf. If you don't have time to fish, stop at a restaurant that serves fish and shrimp caught that morning.

I like New Orleans, especially for the music and the riverboat rides. At night the riverboats are better cause you can't see the dirty water.

You have ridden some very large motorcycles in Vietnam. I rarely hear of big motorcycles there, mostly small 50 or 100cc.

If you want to save money, there are a lot of motorcycles available used on Craigslist that can easily make the trip and be sold at the end for the same. You will probably get charged a lot for insurance and registration fees and I don't know how that works for out of state residents.

Best get good insurance to cover any accident. We do not have free healthcare.

Between Houston and New Orleans might be the largest population of thieves in the world. The punishment for stealing a motorcycle is almost nothing and no police department will try to catch them. The only time they get caught is when they are stopped for something else. Be careful to keep the bike from getting stolen and I know a LOT of riders that park inside their hotel rooms (get a room on the street level).

Good luck.

From Houston, about 3 to 4 hours west or north west. It can be done in a single day if you push it, but I would recommend an overnight in San Antonio or Austin just so you can enjoy it. Houston is a huge city and you can drive upwards of an hour just to get out into the 'country' depending on traffic.

Where is mr2mch? He is like a walking GPS and knows all the good stuff.

Also, deals gap has gotten so popular, its not really twisties anymore. It gets over crowded and police patrol it a lot. If you do run it, do it during the week. It will be less traffic, but still not open road.

Hey hizzo3, so great info, especially on the recommended roads and the warning of riding on Deals gap.
Hopefully Tourmeister knows that area and that's also the same as what he intend to show me.

My thoughts on your visit.

Houston to Atlanta has a lot of good fishing spots along the Gulf. If you don't have time to fish, stop at a restaurant that serves fish and shrimp caught that morning.

I like New Orleans, especially for the music and the riverboat rides. At night the riverboats are better cause you can't see the dirty water.

You have ridden some very large motorcycles in Vietnam. I rarely hear of big motorcycles there, mostly small 50 or 100cc.

If you want to save money, there are a lot of motorcycles available used on Craigslist that can easily make the trip and be sold at the end for the same. You will probably get charged a lot for insurance and registration fees and I don't know how that works for out of state residents.

Best get good insurance to cover any accident. We do not have free healthcare.

Between Houston and New Orleans might be the largest population of thieves in the world. The punishment for stealing a motorcycle is almost nothing and no police department will try to catch them. The only time they get caught is when they are stopped for something else. Be careful to keep the bike from getting stolen and I know a LOT of riders that park inside their hotel rooms (get a room on the street level).

Good luck.

Thank SL350.
I also looking on Craigst and some others sites, just not getting to the final decision due to my limited budget and the distance btw Houston and Atlanta.
Finding a suitable bike could take long time, but purchase a bike is quite fast. I think so it's also the same in Vietnam.

Quite surprise hearing about thieves. But that really really useful info. I have never been noticed that. Extra careful on that never been too bad.

Oh, talking about fishing, I am not fishing fan anyway. ;-)
Thank you very much for your info.

I guess it's a bit late, but to answer the question I thought someone else would hit: Slab is just highway. Mostly between Houston and Atlanta you'll find 4 lanes (2 lanes each direction), with a few 6 and 8 lanes thrown in for good measure.

Going down through New Orleans will be a test, but I do it regularly. I also have family there, and visit often, so I'm used to it. The roads are rough, and not well cared for, so lots of cracks, repairs and potholes to avoid. If I'm not going there, I use I-10 - I-12 - I-10 to bypass the mess down there. Cuts off some time, and it can be significant due to traffic.

Riding highway IS boring. Your best bet, would probably be flying, and then renting or borrowing a bike/car, as many have suggested.

I leave Lakeland Florida at ~5AM, and arrive home in San Antonio at ~10PM on those long "Get There" rides. Not a lot of time stopped (total stop time one trip was 18 minutes). That's only because I can get almost 350 miles on every tank, though. Stopping every 200 makes a difference.

If you still choose to ride, gear will be vital. Protect yourself, and hydrate. Bring a phone/MP3 player so you're not just listening to wind. Bring a map. Bring a GPS, or at least a GPS program on your phone. If you're helmet allows, you can nibble on food and drink on the road. If it doesn't, you'll spend even more time stopped. Kitting out your bike for LD is whole 'nother genre of riding.

Your stops will almost certainly be more than mine. I ride probalby the best bike in the world. :)

But, if you fly, all those problems go away, and you can spend more time riding where you want to ride, rather than just getting there. Take lots of pictures, enjoy your trip whatever you do, and give us a nice ride report when you're done. Enjoy it!

:tab I had a 1998 and a 2001 VFR 800. Between them I logged over 100K miles of riding in about four years. Great bikes.

:tab Deal's Gap is not bad in the middle of the week, especially this late in the year. If you hit it when it is crowded, you better be there more to see the other bikes than to enjoy the actual ride. My last visit in may had me riding behind two ladies riding cruisers. They were going so slow I was having to slip the clutch in first gear to keep from running over them :doh: It was painful...

:tab If you are not hung up on having to visit Deal's Gap, there is indeed a lot of fantastic riding in Northern Arkansas and Southern Missouri. You could easily spend 3-4 days up there running about 300-400 miles per day and it would all be great riding. Some of the roads are like roller coasters because they twist and turn so fast in combination with quick elevation changes. North Carolina's roads usually run up/down the side of a mountain, along a long ridge, or along a long valley. The elevation changes are much bigger but less frequent. Southern Missouri has MUCH smaller elevation changes, but the happen REALLY fast! Arkansas is kind of in between North Carolina and Missouri in that respect.

:tab From Houston, NW Arkansas is a good day ride, probably around 600 miles or so. It is about 500-550 from my place North of Houston depending on where I stay in Arkansas. Often we just trailer up in one day, ride two days, then trailer back. That saves on gas going up and back. Also, if anyone has any issues with a bike, we have a way to get it home.

:tab I feel your frustration. With only so much time to ride and so many options, it is hard to decide which to do ;-)

What is your budget for the rental?
May be best to buy mine (see my signature), you saw it the ADV forum and sell it in Atlanta . . .
There are two more on this site from well know forum members too.

For gears, I believe that I have all the necessary gears for a long ride.
I have two sets GPS, one is Garmin Nuvi, one is handheld Garmin Etrex Vista. I also have a phone with Gmap. Hopefully they would not get me lost my way.

Honestly to say, I am really excited about this trip, and really want to experience as many roads as possible, the tracklog as big as possible.

Actually, my initial plan like this:
Viethorse said:
It's may be too ambitious, but what do you think if I can make a loop for total 08 days:
Houston - Birmingham - Deals Gap - Arkansas - Houston: Total about 2000miles (3200km).
UStripplanning1.png

Then it come to be like this:
USTripplaning2.png

Then with lots of comments and suggestion.... Looks like it would be narrowed down to Atlanta-Smoky mountain.
If choosing the flying option, a friend in Atlanta will pick me up at the airport, drive me to visit the Baber Motorsport Museum, then get a rental bike there, back to his house to rest that night and ride to Smoky early morning of the day after.

Either buying or renting the bike I would still have two riders in Atlanta will join me for the Smoky mountain ride.

For the time in Houston, I do really hope if we could arrange some ride out together.

However, the trip planning still can be adjusted. Especially if having better info of buddy rider, or better bike I got.... etc...

There is so much to ride in your D E F section in the second map that I don't see any point is going way west to the Ozarks. You will be able to keep yourself occupied with good riding every day if you just stick to the right side of your map.

No further west than Nashville/Birmingham. Make that the western border of your riding plans.

Fly into Atlanta. Rent the bike there and return it there. No fuss, no muss. No maintenance concerns. No registration concerns. I do assume you have a motorcycle endorsement on your current driver license?

There is so much to ride in your D E F section in the second map that I don't see any point is going way west to the Ozarks. You will be able to keep yourself occupied with good riding every day if you just stick to the right side of your map.

No further west than Nashville/Birmingham. Make that the western border of your riding plans.

Fly into Atlanta. Rent the bike there and return it there. No fuss, no muss. No maintenance concerns. No registration concerns. I do assume you have a motorcycle endorsement on your current driver license?

Very comprehensive recommendation Texas T.
A-B-D-E-F in the 2nd map is my current plan.
I have consulted by some Cops from Officers website and that 's fine for me now:
Bring with my passport + valid Vietnamese driver's license + notarized translation of license

:tab I totally agree with that! Every time I go to North Carolina, I usually have six days to ride while I am there and I still have trouble narrowing down which of the seemingly endless supply of great roads to ride!! :doh: I could easily spend tow or three weeks of riding every single day.

:tab A word on route length. When you are in the NC area, or the Smoky Mountains in general, a 250 mile day is a good solid day of riding, especially if you are not used to riding such twisty roads for hours and hours. It will wear you down more than you think. I have led quite a few group rides in that area and usually by the end of a 250-275 mile day I start seeing people get sloppy and begin making little mistakes. The level of concentration needed for that kind of riding is pretty intense and most folks are not used to doing it for such a long sustained period. Also, figure that you will average about 30-35mph for total time (including your stops). So a 300 mile day would take you about 8-9 hours, longer if you make lots of stops.

:tab Also, don't forget, Deal's Gap really isn't the best road out there. Check the ride report I linked you to earlier. Even read the days where we rode the smaller dirt oriented bikes because we also did some great paved riding on those days as well. Heck, we even left out a bunch of my other favorite roads because we just didn't have time to hit them all :doh: :lol2:

:tab If you have some time, there is a motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley on Hwy 19 called Wheels Through Time.

http://wheelsthroughtime.com/

Try and stay off the interstates. (Blue and red shield). They are designed to be long relatively straight and boring. What you want to find are state highways and farm roads for the best twisties.

Enjoy your trip. If you decide to ride Texas or Arkansas pm me for some routes . I've ridden North Georgia and the Southern Appalachians a few times, too but I'm not as "good" over there as a local would be. Have fun!

Looks like I gotta give up the option riding from Houston, just fly to ATL for convenience.
My ATL friends also told me that there are so many roads around Smoky (beside Deals Gap) are very interesting to ride.
A friend says we may rent a room at the middle of the area, set up as our "base" there, and ride out for each day. That may good for 2-3 nights.
As said, the reason I like to ride on Dragon once because of it has been very well known, any bikers (especially outside of US) are all wanted to ride there, just like many other tourists.
I may spent only one day or less for the Dragon.

:tab I totally agree with that! Every time I go to North Carolina, I usually have six days to ride while I am there and I still have trouble narrowing down which of the seemingly endless supply of great roads to ride!! :doh: I could easily spend tow or three weeks of riding every single day.

:tab A word on route length. When you are in the NC area, or the Smoky Mountains in general, a 250 mile day is a good solid day of riding, especially if you are not used to riding such twisty roads for hours and hours. It will wear you down more than you think. I have led quite a few group rides in that area and usually by the end of a 250-275 mile day I start seeing people get sloppy and begin making little mistakes. The level of concentration needed for that kind of riding is pretty intense and most folks are not used to doing it for such a long sustained period. Also, figure that you will average about 30-35mph for total time (including your stops). So a 300 mile day would take you about 8-9 hours, longer if you make lots of stops.

:tab Also, don't forget, Deal's Gap really isn't the best road out there. Check the ride report I linked you to earlier. Even read the days where we rode the smaller dirt oriented bikes because we also did some great paved riding on those days as well. Heck, we even left out a bunch of my other favorite roads because we just didn't have time to hit them all :doh: :lol2:

:tab If you have some time, there is a motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley on Hwy 19 called Wheels Through Time.

http://wheelsthroughtime.com/

Try and stay off the interstates. (Blue and red shield). They are designed to be long relatively straight and boring. What you want to find are state highways and farm roads for the best twisties.

Not trying to change your plan as it sounds like you have lots of other good reasons to head east to Atlanta but

I may spent only one day or less for the Dragon.
You know "The Dragon" is only 11 miles long, right?

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

I suggest hitting it early on a weekday. When ya do, it's a fun section.

Not trying to change your plan as it sounds like you have lots of other good reasons to head east to Atlanta but
You know "The Dragon" is only 11 miles long, right?
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

I suggest hitting it early on a weekday. When ya do, it's a fun section.

Hey, thank for reminder. I know that. I just don't know exactly how much time out of riding which I spend for taking photos, seeing and explore things which I only see on internet. So I just put "one day or less"

My ride around Smoky Mountain should be fine with your suggestion and escort of some of my Atlanta buddies.

Now my concern is some days riding within Texas. Looking for some more update from Tourmeister and others.

:tab Yeah, just make Deal's Gap part of a route, not the whole day's destination. Or, maybe make it the end of a route and spend the night there.

:tab Fun roads nearby include the Cherohala Skyway (NC 143 and TN 165) between Robbinsville, NC., and Tellico Plains, TN. It makes a great out and back run, being about 55 miles each way.

:tab Hwy 28 from Deal's Gap South all the way to SC 107 in South Carolina is a superb ride, especially the section between Hwy 19 and Franklin! Hwy 107 is great all the way back into into NC (stays 107 after crossing state lines) up to Sylva at US 23.

:tab Speaking of Franklin, it is a good place to stay to make loops in different directions each day. I've stayed there several times for an entire week of riding.

:tab Hwy 209 from Waynesville at I-40 up to Hot Springs at US 25 is great. It is one I try to do every time I get out there. Then run East on US 25 to NC 208, cut up to where it hits NC 212 and go right on Guntertown Rd., just before you cross the creek to get to the stop sign. That becomes Big Laurel Rd, which runs all the way over to I-26. I am not even going to try to describe this route because you just have to ride it to see for yourself. :rider:

:tab Some of the rest of the really good riding is a little further East, closer to Asheville and NE of Asheville. Hwy 80 and 226 come to mind.

:tab Dang! This is making me want to go back NOW! :lol2:

Haha... looks like u have lots of good memories about Smoky. I will copy your post above and send to my friends in Atl to see if they could use for reference.
:tab Dang! This is making me want to go back NOW! :lol2:
Pesonnally I think it 's great to go back there as all the leaves are about to change color. Hehe. I can have one more ride buddy. Hahaha....

A friend says we may rent a room at the middle of the area, set up as our "base" there, and ride out for each day. That may good for 2-3 nights.
Excellent plan.

I just don't know exactly how much time out of riding which I spend for taking photos
Look for Killboy taking photos and make sure he gets photos of you riding the Dragon. Stop by the side of the road and introduce yourself. He'll probably make specific comments about you on his website if he knows you came all the way from Vietnam to ride the Dragon. He can also let you know how intense the police coverage is that day.

http://www.killboy.com/

Excellent plan.
Yeah. I also feel very comfortable with that as we can leave all of our stuff at the hotel and do not need to bring with us along all the twisties
Look for Killboy taking photos and make sure he gets photos of you riding the Dragon. Stop by the side of the road and introduce yourself. He'll probably make specific comments about you on his website if he knows you came all the way from Vietnam to ride the Dragon. He can also let you know how intense the police coverage is that day.
http://www.killboy.com/
Hahah... I quite familiar with Killboy photos and videos. As said, Dragon seemed to be promoted very well especially by Killboy.
To be specially captured by Killboy, I may prepare to do something different, like this:
548006_10151240591813140_2097397955_n.jpg

223893_10151218842233140_121496594_n.jpg

or even this:

303648_10151218843193140_832225319_n.jpg

Now my concern is some days riding within Texas. Looking for some more update from Tourmeister and others.

:tab I am not sure if there are any places in the Houston area to rent bikes, other than maybe some Harley cruisers. So the BIG issue is whether we can find a bike for you to borrow and your ability to prove insurance coverage if the loaner of the bike wants to see it. I no longer have a second bike suitable for road riding.

Back