• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Palo Duro-April 12th 13th Dual Sportin ??

HiHOSilverGS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
HARRY
Last Name
O'KELLY
I'm gonna be at Palo Duro State Park with my son & grandson. I'm gonna have my DRZ with me and looking to do a little riding in that area. Any like minded TWTers around that part of the pan handle?

Lots of good roads in the area, but none in the park itself AFAIK. Off roading there will usually get lots of trouble. Call the Park and ask if it is still that way.

It was off roading off limits as of last summer. They were very strict to tell is motorcycles must stay on pavement when we were riding through the park. I highly doubt it has changed as all the off reading in state parks are on legal roads anyway, with Palo duro having no plans to build these kinds of roads. When I go back, I plan to rent horse and go the more old fashioned saddle ride.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I can ride a horse or even a bicycle. Just may do both instead of hauling motorcycle 500 miles .
I was just fishing mostly , to see if there may be some interesting dual sport type ranch roads to explore up between palo duro and caprock.
Yea, I know, state parks are not friendly to off road motorcycling.
I'm gonna be hauling a popup camper up there, but the bed of my pickup is gonna be empty , if anybody needs something transported to or from the panhandle.

There are some great roads between Palo Duro and Caprick Canyons. There is only one way into and out of Palo Duro park though.

I just got back from there - all on paved roads for me, but it really is a beautiful part of the world. From PD to Caprock, I went north through Claude and Clarendon, then Highway 70 to Turkey. 70 through there is one pretty road!

The only dirt roads I saw were straight as an arrow and kinda out of the way, so I stayed on pavement. I'd expect that at least some of the squiggly lines directly north of Caprock park would be public roads instead of ranch access only. If anyone knows of some specific ones, I'd love to know, too.

I just got back from there - all on paved roads for me, but it really is a beautiful part of the world. From PD to Caprock, I went north through Claude and Clarendon, then Highway 70 to Turkey. 70 through there is one pretty road!

The only dirt roads I saw were straight as an arrow and kinda out of the way, so I stayed on pavement. I'd expect that at least some of the squiggly lines directly north of Caprock park would be public roads instead of ranch access only. If anyone knows of some specific ones, I'd love to know, too.

Almost every single squiggly line road between Caprock Canyons and HWY 287 are public roads if they are through roads. I've ridden a lot of them. If I open a gate, I close it. Many of the bridges looked rather feeble last time I was there, so I usually just rode through the sandy beds to cross. If confronted by a rancher, I just apologized and asked for a way to get back where I needed to be. I did NOT go off-road, but some of those roads are tracks.
There are also some nice roads on the Canadian River farther north. I shot this one over my Valkyrie windshield on the North River Road north of Pampa between highway 70 and 207.
photo_14_.JPG

Last edited:
I'm gonna be at Palo Duro State Park with my son & grandson. I'm gonna have my DRZ with me and looking to do a little riding in that area. Any like minded TWTers around that part of the pan handle?

man if I had joined earlier I would have seen this. How was the park? beautiful as always?

there is a road CR24 I think that runs from 287 past caprock canyon state park...has a sign "4x4 vehicles only". It would be a fun ride (when dry)

Back