• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Mexico trailer/ride

I've always been too pre-occupied to find it, but isn't there one on 149 near Creede between South Fork and Lake City?

yes, it is CLEAR CREEK FALLS

located near the turn off to goto BRISTOL HEAD, at the north end of the loop that goes to SOUTH CLEAR CREEK CG

the drive/entrance is on the right, northbound

near SPRING CREEK PASS where there is a clock stopping ELK STOP(elk watching pull out, active just at dusk, which begins the most hazardous time of the day for accidents w/ the big quadrupeds)

the short run to the parking lot above the falls is paved, as is the lot itself

you can maintain close sight of your skoot from the short trail to the overlook

the falls on US 550/MILLION DOLLAR HWY is near the turn off for ENGINEER PASS & a very busy stretch of that road

this one shoots under the hwy, giving an awesome sight, from the down hill side

the falls in OURAY are $ entrance, you walk up a really cool(as in neat & lower temps) catwalk, to get your view

they are accessed at the upper/south end of town near the new MOUNTAIN RESCUE STATION

it is where the water from the top of RED MOUNTAIN PASS re-emerges from a hole in the rock/mountain

well worth the $ entry fee

the falls you most likely wont venture up to view is the one that is depicted on the COORS can, up in YANKEE BOY BASIN which is a cirrus off road adventure on/in any less than 4wd or a nice dual sport skooter

and frum the overlook, above OURAY, you can see several smaller falls on the side of the mountain(box canyon that forms the boundaries of the town

just east of PAGOSE SPRINGS, where the road begins it's climb to WOLF CREEK PASS, is a pull off/potty stop on the up bound side of US 160 that has a pretty water fall, viewable from the parking lot

this stop has it's own herd of MONKSTERS & HUMMINGBIRDS

GO AHEAD, KEEP ME GOING...

sw

oops, i forgot to tell you to eat @ THE TRUE GRIT CAFE, in RIDGEWAY

built on the spot where JOHN was 1st seen in the movie

built in front of the CITY PARK where the hangings took place, in the movie

on around the mountain to TEHELLURIDE you can ride thru town to view BRIDAL VEIL FALLS

if you wish to do a short walkabout, there, goto MOUNTAIN VILLAGE, accessed from the west off the southbound hwy toward DOLORES

there is free parking in the village & the FREE GONDOLA will carry you over the ski area, over the mountain & down into TEHELLURIDE

in the town you will find an old GALLOPING GOOSE that has been saved from the old days

they were RAIL VEHICLES built out of an old school buses(a reproduction is being built by the town of RIDGEWAY and right by the road into town)

you usedtocould get a decent deli sammich @ the grocery mkt, near the gondola station there in town

SORRY, CAN'T HEPP IT

sw

I've always been too pre-occupied to find it, but isn't there one on 149 near Creede between South Fork and Lake City?

I think the last time we were going that direction we were trying to make Gunnison before we lost our reservation. So no waterfall that I remember but we did see four if my tiny brains remembers correctly. Still trying to get the pictures up to post but need the crews help to find them. Drew

no, absolutely no socially redeeming value or style points for traversing US287 on 2 wheels, in the summer!

in addition to the heat, the cross winds, in the panhandle, are horrendous

sounds like common sense has prevailed

sw

Well, it didn't this week, but next time it will. I spent alllll daaayyy Sunday getting from Levelland to Austin. The last half of Saturday getting from Pagosa Springs to Levelland was also brutal. I will not be doing that again. I think I added a hundred miles to the odometer just by the zig-zagging across the lane because of the winds. But now I can say I've done it, for whatever that's worth.

However the weather wasn't the worst part. The worst part was seeing all the Beemers headed the other way on their way to Oregon. :-(

Last edited:
When I went to Ouray(2012) the falls I saw at the end of a road(?) in town was free just a short hike from a dirt parking area. At the baby's bathtub near the scenic overlook theres a little one also. The road will take you to a camp area that was I believe $32 per night if you continue up the path from the look out. Nice scenic and they have restrooms and water to. Drew

i'd sure hate it, knowin you were headed that way & we hadn't filled your plate

Like he said we are here to help. One thing I forgot to mention if you take a ton of pictures be certain to bring chargers and extra cards if you really take a bunch of snaps.:photo: Drew

finalizing everything and doing the detail stuff.
Major (24K) maintenance on the beemer ( why don't I own a real bike like a Goldwing! )
and since my wife is traveling with me, checking on Colorado concealed carry laws.
Contacted several county LE departments and the State Police.
All advised that Tx chl was valid, and if carrying HiCap ( to them, standard cap for real people ) the mags would be considered grandfathered under Colo statute and not subject to any undue scrutiny.
ALL advised staying out of Colorado Springs, Denver and Pueblo.
NO chl is recognized in those cities under any circumstance.
Always good to know who your friends are.....................and ain't.

Back