• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Colorado....again

Reaction score
Planning a trip to Colorado mid August. Fourth time there, first time plotting my own routes. Also have a first timer going with me. Bikes are Super Tenere and latest model of a VStrom 1000, both on street tires so mostly pavement and easier dirt.

Arrive in Raton friday evening, begin ride saturday morning. Return to Raton Thursday, back in central Texas Friday evening.

1st day
Raton to Trinidad, Co 12 thru Le Veta to 160 back to I25. 165 out of Colorado city to 96 then 115 into Canon City to ride Skyline. 50 to Gunnison
6.5 hours and 317 miles on Google.

https://goo.gl/maps/fNijivv4S5J2

Skyline and/or this close to civilization a good idea on saturday?

2nd day
Gunnison over Cottonwood Pass, up to Independence Pass to Carbondale. Down 133 to 92, the Black Canyon, back to Gunnison.
300 miles, 7 hours

https://goo.gl/maps/UtQsbZeknw42

3rd
Gunnison to 149 to 160 then over to 550 up to Ouray

6.5 hrs,300 miles

https://goo.gl/maps/4RSBbBfy21D2

More later.

Thoughts?

Phil that looks like a great route. Was going to do the day 1 route almost exactly but got a late start. We got a little dirt in,I think it was to Gardner from 160 then 69 to Texas Creek then over. Interested in seeing how day 2 goes. That is one I have not done yet,looks fun. Thank you for the hint on CO114. Hope the rain will be at bay when you two are there. 550 was exciting in the rain. It rained on us everyday but the last one. From Gunnison there is a road right outside of town that was dirt think it was 26 miles long that you might enjoy also that takes you over near Crested Butte.

Great roads Phil, a first timer may get tired or sloppy on a 300 mile day up there. Keep in mind the elevation and what it does to us flatlanders and stay away from 550 on any weekend if you want to make good time. Stop and soak in the scenery when there.

Hey Phil sounds like fun. How are you liking the Tenere? I tried getting away from motorcycles and lasted a year. I just bought a gently used R1200gs and man I missed riding. Hit me up sometime and I will probably see you on a pie run if you attend them.

Collin

Last edited:
Hey Phil sounds like fun. How are you liking the Tenere? I tried getting away from motorcycles and lasted a year. I just bought a gently used R1200gs and man I missed riding. Hit me up sometime and I will probably see you on a pie run if you attend them.

Collin

I was wondering about the Duc just the other day. Long time no see. The Tenere is a hoot. We'll have to get together.

Phil

great route. depending on how much of a shutterbug you are, you may be frustrated trying to make that many miles and take the pics that you'll want to take around every third curve.
I try to keep my mileage around 200 mi or less in the mountains for that reason, unless I just have to be somewhere fast.

Last edited:
https://goo.gl/maps/Ha3ZxzkJ6A52

ouray to paonia.

More of a placeholder than a plan. it does include 141, one of my absolute favorites.

Going back to the first post, any thoughts on Skyline on a Saturday? Would we better trying to do that during the week on the way back?

Last edited:
Phil that looks like a great route. Was going to do the day 1 route almost exactly but got a late start. We got a little dirt in,I think it was to Gardner from 160 then 69 to Texas Creek then over. Interested in seeing how day 2 goes. That is one I have not done yet,looks fun. Thank you for the hint on CO114. Hope the rain will be at bay when you two are there. 550 was exciting in the rain. It rained on us everyday but the last one. From Gunnison there is a road right outside of town that was dirt think it was 26 miles long that you might enjoy also that takes you over near Crested Butte.

Of course everything is subject to change, especially due to weather. These aren't plans so much as options.

Great roads Phil, a first timer may get tired or sloppy on a 300 mile day up there. Keep in mind the elevation and what it does to us flatlanders and stay away from 550 on any weekend if you want to make good time. Stop and soak in the scenery when there.

great route. depending on how much of a shutterbug you are, you may be frustrated trying to make that many miles and take the pics that you'll want to take around every third curve.
I try to keep my mileage around 200 mi or less in the mountains for that reason, unless I just have to be somewhere fast.

We ride together a lot and put in some miles. If 300 becomes too much, we'll scale back.
We're more about the ride than the pictures, so I think we'll be ok. Again, if not, these are certainly adaptable if need be.

All of the times are extremely optimistic. Like Tracker said, you will be wanting to stop for pictures. I see day 2 as the most optimistic. Cottonwood pass is a great ride, but combining it in that circle is a very long day. I did that loop in sept but went the shorter route over Monarch pass and it still took me 12 hours. Independence pass is very slow with all the other traffic, and wanting to stop for pics, getting just thru Aspen was a slow process. And you have to plan that there will be road construction and slow downs. The plus is that it is daylight late and if you have your room then you don't have to worry too much. Leave very early in the morning. 149 is amazing, that will be a great day.

I had to go back and look this thread up to make sure i was remembering correctly.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97443

In August 2014, riding solo, I did 508 miles day one,330 day two,395 day three,390 day four and 472 day five so I know 300 mile days are doable. I don't know exactly how much time a second rider adds to the mix.

I'll be the first to admit the 508 mile day was too much. It was too hot and it involved too much slab. The rest were not difficult at all. Weather was perfect and that may not happen again, so....

I always get a little homesick when folks start talking about going back to Colorado. I am so looking forward to your ride report.

Over McClure Pass from Paonia is Redstone and the Redstone Inn. They make a great hamburger or higher end affair if you are interested.

Not quite 2100 miles in 6 days.
2063.9 to be exact.
Three pictures, I think.

Favorite road....still 141. Rode north to south this time.

Road construction held us up a few times, as expected. Worst was on 77 (Tarryall?)between 285 and 24. Hour and a half. We could have turned around, but it was raining behind us. That will be one sweet road when finished.

I wore a liner and ran the heated grips part of yesterday.

Nice! Super jealous.

It's been five months since I've been to Colorado, gettin the itch. :D

Not quite 2100 miles in 6 days.
2063.9 to be exact.
Three pictures, I think.

Favorite road....still 141. Rode north to south this time.

Road construction held us up a few times, as expected. Worst was on 77 (Tarryall?)between 285 and 24. Hour and a half. We could have turned around, but it was raining behind us. That will be one sweet road when finished.

I wore a liner and ran the heated grips part of yesterday.

Did you follow you plan like in your first post?:rider:

Since this is about Colorado.....
Lodging suggestions for Pagosa Springs and/or Hotchkiss?

Did you follow you plan like in your first post?:rider:

Pretty much.
First day was Raton to Gunnison via Skyline Dr in Canon City.
https://goo.gl/maps/fNijivv4S5J2

Second day we did a loop starting with Cottonwood pass, Independence Pass, McClure Pass, finishing with the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Stayed in Gunnison a second night.
Cottonwood pass had more traffic than most of the roads all week.
https://goo.gl/maps/UtQsbZeknw42

Third day we left Gunnison for good. Visited the south side of the Black Canyon, worth every cent of the $7 entrance fee. My first time there.
From there, we went up 50 to 141 and traveled it to 145 and finished in Cortez.
https://goo.gl/maps/kkARRKc9Vgs

Fourth day we did the Million Dollar Highway and kept going up 50 to Delta where we jumped on 92 briefly to 65 thru the Grand Mesa. Then we cut thru on CR 45 1/2(great road) to I70 and on up to Rifle to ride 13 to Craig.
https://goo.gl/maps/2ESZSgJn1uA2

Fifth day we left Craig heading east on 40. We took CR 27 (another great road) to 131 and then 134 to 40. We stayed on 40 and went over Berthoud Pass. At Georgetown we jumped on Guanella Pass rd down to 285. West on 285 to Jefferson where we went south on cr77(Tarryall Rd). This is where we hit an hour and a half construction wait. We had planned to ride 24 further south to Florissant and cr1 to 11 to Hwy 9 and back up to Buena Vista. The delay and impending weather sent us straight to Buena Vista via 24 and 285 instead. This was the the only time we had to gear up with rain liners.
https://goo.gl/maps/uXnx1jtR2q82

Day six, we left Buena Vista south thru Salida, east on 50 to 69. South to I25 briefly to catch 160 going west. 159 South down to Questa NM where we rode the top part of the Enchanted Circle. 38 out of Red River is a mess, New Mexico's version of chip seal with mounds of loose pea gravel all over the road. Add in rain and speeds were way down from our normal. 64 back to I25 and then Raton to finish.
https://goo.gl/maps/VRe4eznzFzG2

Last edited:
Pretty much.
First day was Raton to Gunnison via Skyline Dr in Canon City.

Second day we did a loop starting with Cottonwood pass, Independence Pass, McClure Pass, finishing with the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Stayed in Gunnison a second night.
Cottonwood pass had more traffic than most of the roads all week.

Third day we left Gunnison for good. Visited the south side of the Black Canyon, worth every cent of the $7 entrance fee. My first time there.
From there, we went up 50 to 141 and traveled it to 145 and finished in Cortez.

Fourth day we did the Million Dollar Highway and kept going up 50 to Delta where we jumped on 92 briefly to 65 thru the Grand Mesa. Then we cut thru on CR 45 1/2(great road) to I70 and on up to Rifle to ride 13 to Craig.

Fifth day we left Craig heading east on 40. We took CR 77 (another great road) to 131 and then 134 to 40. We stayed on 40 and went over Berthoud Pass. At Georgetown we jumped on Guanella Pass rd down to 285. West on 285 to Jefferson where we went south on cr77(Tarryall Rd). This is where we hit an hour and a half construction wait. We had planned to ride 24 further south to Florissant and cr1 to 11 to Hwy 9 and back up to Buena Vista. The delay and impending weather sent us straight to Buena Vista via 24 and 285 instead. This was the the only time we had to gear up with rain liners.

Day six, we left Buena Vista south thru Salida, east on 50 to 69. South to I25 briefly to catch 160 going west. 159 South down to Questa NM where we rode the top part of the Enchanted Circle. 38 out of Red River is a mess, New Mexico's version of chip seal with mounds of loose pea gravel all over the road. Add in rain and speeds were way down from our normal. 64 back to I25 and then Raton to finish.

I am going to have to get the map out now.:deal: Glad you had a good time. We were in the rain everyday except the return day. The road you suggested was great but it was raining so hard that we turned around. Got about 15 miles down it and it was wonderful thank you so much Phil. Will try to get the whole thing rode next time.

Google map links added in post 17 (hopefully)

Hotels

Raton
Quality Inn. Plenty of room for truck and trailer. Wasn't messed with while we were away. As a matter of fact, Richard left his heated insoles on the ground beside the truck...still there when we got back. Recommend
$86 going, $77 coming back

Gunnison
ABC hotel. Mom and pop in the middle of town. Recommend.
$89

Cortez
Econo Lodge. Recommend.
$82

Craig
Clarion Inn. Recommend
$80

Buena Vista
Super 8. Recommend sort of. Most expensive place and also the least nice. Not a dump, just not as nice as the others. I'll look for something else next time.
$118

Except for the ABC in Gunnison, all reservations were made online the morning of the stay using an AARP discount. I called the ABC direct as I have stayed there twice before.
All prices are before taxes.

The Complete Guide to Motorcycling Colorado[/i] by Steve Farson is a good resource. I have another guide that has some good info as well that I picked up after moving up here.
Great book. I have a copy and refer to it for every trip to Colorado. Carried it with me this time but didn't need it.

Farson used to have videos posted of most of the rides in the book. Couldn't find them this time,guess he took them down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I finished up two weeks of riding in nw Colorado today , packing for the trip home this afternoon . Prolly a thousand miles off road and about the same on pavement . Today I saw people off road , but I did ride thru a off road riding area and it is Sunday . The rest of the time maybe one rancher a day and a few people in dinosaur national monument . Did pass a couple hunter camps too but this was my best Colorado trip ever , I'll never go to crowded Colorado again other than to get thru it to the good stuff .

Found this while looking at tracks from my DeLorme. Appears we hit a lot of the good stuff.
We missed 149, RRNP, and the park near Grand Junction. Just ran out of time.
0a645ebfedfbd5013fdf72a8ecd2b8e3.jpg
eebed76c0b70b4d5f7fa5abd6f5c0bff.jpg

For maps ... Butler maps! They do the maps for the CycleWorld rally in Gunnison and are great! Also, visit the local bike shops, like the Husky dealership on the West side of Gunnison, and ask for rec maps. These will show single track. While in the bike shop, you can purchase a Colorado permit to run the single track. I think latitude40maps does the local detail maps. When we ride the area a big day is like 170 miles. Too much dirt and too many stops to smell the roses to plan longer rides. If you want to camp, then look up dispersed camping and figure that into your stops. Lots and lots of camping opportunities.

Ok, pulled my rec map and here is the link to Latitude40 maps for Colorado.

Last edited:
Back