• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

iPhone and Google maps navigation..advice?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All,

I rigged up an iPhone mount on my Triumph STRX and a lead to the battery tender for power. I will unplug the USB charger when the bike is not being used. Anyway, my plan is to use the iPhone and Google map combo to extend range and help navigation in unfamiliar areas This means mostly NW of Houston, and some on the coast too.

I also plan to add a system to my Moto Guzzi.

Any advice or comments? I have gotten pretty lost a few times. Likely I will not fixate on the device while riding. It should be helpful, especially if I plan routes on my laptop and send to phone. Are there better navigation software options?

thanks,
Lucydad

On a recent ride around the west, I used the Zumo as my primary nav device... it's not dependent on cell signal. I also kept my Android Blackberry plugged into the 12V outlet on the dash and ran Garmin's HERE app to do what-ifs. The Blackberry was on a RAM mount and, as it was a secondary device, when the weather appeared threatening I moved it to a Zip-Loc in my tank bag. The HERE app is pretty doggone good. (I also travel with a second 550 in case the first one fails. I also travel with an 8" Android tablet and have the TomTom app on that one, just for the heck of it..)

Last edited:
With Google Maps (and numerous other apps) you do not have to have cell service.

These guys have an awesome app finally on the iPhone.

http://osmand.net/

Here's the caveats...heat & screen brightness. In a good case the iPhone will overheat pretty quickly (goes into a standby mode) and in direct sunlight it's very difficult to see the screen. In Texas we get a lot of both (in case you hadn't noticed).

I've stuck with my Garmin. Wifi issues aside, I simply find them easier to read

Maybe I just need to buy a Garmin. Which one? I have the mount and power set up.

Maybe I just need to buy a Garmin. Which one? I have the mount and power set up.

Well, there are some basic Garmin directions to choose from. Lots of people use the Zumos, which are specifically designed for motorcycles. They work great. Their only disadvantage is that they're pricey, running between about $450 and $700 new.

Lots of us get by with Nuvis. They're made for 4-wheelers, but are easily handlebar mounted. Disadvantages: Not terribly glove-friendly, although they can be operated wearing most gloves I've worn. And they're not weather- or shock-proof. I handle the weather with a clear snack baggie, and for shock resistance, well, I just make a point not to drop my bike. Advantages: Big, easy-to-read screen and priced anywhere from $150 to $350. Check the comparison charts on Garmin's website to be sure you pick one that allows custom routing.

Then there are models like the Montana which, as best I can tell, are geared more to offroaders. Since haven't used one, you'd have to ask somebody else what they like or don't like.

For a while, I tried my trusty old Garmin 76CSx, which is really a backpacker's GPS. It had a lot of drawbacks - screen to small, routing just didn't work all for street use.

These guys have an awesome app finally on the iPhone.

http://osmand.net/

I hate to admit it, but I'm not a very bright guy... I kept hearing great things about Osmand, so I downloaded it. I think I even paid for it. But getting the maps to download just wore me out so I deleted it.

Quite a few of the long distance guys use Garmin 2756 Nuvi and 2757 Nuvi. I'm a Zumo guy and buy them (I think I'm now on numbers 3 and 4) used -- generally off of ADVrider.

I am migrating from a crazy Zumo 660 which messes up my routes downloaded from BaseCamp to OSMand (Open Source Maps for Android) and I am becoming a fan. The key thing I like is that I can operate it without internet data, like the Garmin. Second, I only load the maps I need. Third, it allows me to open GPX files and provides support for routes and tracks. It basically does everything my Garmin does but better, and it's free (for the first six maps) - my S7 needs to be on DC power as GPS is power-intensive, but that's no different than the Garmin. It's great that maps exist for other countries, as I can navigate just about anywhere.... and no need to carry an extra GPS device. Osmand is a game changer for me.

You can download Google maps data for offline (out of cell range) use now. Very easy.

I still prefer Garmin, but the gap is much smaller now.

I've loaded Osmand on my phone and both of my tablets. I'm using my Nexus7 in a ram mount on my bike and I find it a lot easier to see then my phone while riding.

Two thoughts. First, there is a thread that lists many of the smartphone apps, including those that let you store maps. Second, if you end up with a Garmin anything, read Hail's Basecamp Thread.

Garmins and TomToms will both recalculate the route based on the the map in the unit and the avoidances/route preferences of each device. If your unit is messing up your route plotted on another product, check these things first.

Personally, if I were getting a GPS for off road I would buy something like a used 60CSx (which I just did. Thanks Rooster T!) If I were buying a purely on road GPS I would buy the cheapest weather resistant NUVI I could get new. I really wouldn't want one with too many features. Just a personal choice, but the simpler the navigation the equipment, the better IMHO.

+1 on the too small. That's why I'm using my Nexus 7 tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I hate to admit it, but I'm not a very bright guy... I kept hearing great things about Osmand, so I downloaded it. I think I even paid for it. But getting the maps to download just wore me out so I deleted it.

Quite a few of the long distance guys use Garmin 2756 Nuvi and 2757 Nuvi. I'm a Zumo guy and buy them (I think I'm now on numbers 3 and 4) used -- generally off of ADVrider.

Just saw this so I apologize if its too late.with Osmand the trick is to download the maps when you have enough time to complete it. Set it to download in the evening and next morning it will be done for sure even if your Internet connection is slow.

Then, when using it on the road, turn off your phone or tablets WiFi before starting Osmand and you'll be good to go. That way the app isn't trying to connect and it will just use the phones GPS sensor. If your phone or tablet can use Glonas, the linknis really fast and accurate..

Just saw this so I apologize if its too late.with Osmand the trick is to download the maps when you have enough time to complete it. Set it to download in the evening and next morning it will be done for sure even if your Internet connection is slow...

Also no reason to update all of your maps when the monthly updates become available. I typically only update Texas and then before a trip I will also update the states/countries I'm traveling through.

._

Back