• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pintos and Plume Cloud

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Shelfer
I found this on a different site, & was fascinated by the picture. The subject matter is obviously Mount St Helens, 1980. Thoughts and comments?

42208044080_699906c23c_b.jpg
Mt St Helens and Pinto by Tim Shelfer, on Flickr

Awesome picture. I was wondering if that dirt bike was pushing the Ford Pinto.

Looks like a Yamaha IT in tow. Your going to laugh but my dads Pinto had 289,XXX miles and was still running when I got clobbered in it. His was a wagon so as you know were more reliable than the runabout.:rofl: Moms canary yellow one has almost 200K when it was sold and she bought a mini van. The paint was still like new when it left my folks house. Great picture Tim. Must have taken a break from playing guitars?:jammin:

My sister had a Pinto runabout and wrapped it around cement bridge support. Several friends had them and one was a Wagon. I always liked them and felt they got a bad wrap concerning the gas tank. Never knew of one that gave a lick of trouble.

I wonder about the intelligence of the Pinto driver in this pic, however. I am hoping he was intelligent biker that rapidly took the pic and then hauled butt out of there! From what I remember those ash clouds were fast and lethal.

Impressive picture.

It depends which side of the blast it was on... It was a very directional blast. Of course, you might not realize it at the time the picture was taken.

I was living in Casper, WY when St. Helens blew. The sky turned silver and my blue VW was covered with volcanic ash...very nasty stuff. I have flown over the volcano several times, and hope to visit in 2019 and see the geology. I love volcanoes and have been to Hawaii during an active Kilauea eruption, and also several in the Aleutians, AK and Cook Inlet. Hope to visit Napoli area of Italy next year, and Pompeii and maybe hike up Stromboli.

1979 Pinto sedan, first brand new car purchase for me. Same exact color as in above photo. I used to haul my CR125 Elsinore with it. Had two of those hoop carriers that clamped onto the rear bumper.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Awesome picture. I was wondering if that dirt bike was pushing the Ford Pinto.

I think it was an experimental Ford safety program - protect the gas tank by attaching a dirt bike to the rear bumper.

It also made me wonder which was more dangerous - being that close to Mount St Helens or driving a Pinto? :eek2:

The pic brings back memories of riding up there. My mom lived in Battleground and I would fly up and ride with them. Once we rode up through Ariel and Yale then up to Wind River road toward Carson. I knew the road as Outlaw Pass. It was snowing up on top and we were turned around by a deputy for safety reasons. The last time I rode up there, there were road blocks at Swift Reservoir before it erupted. Pretty country.

Lots going on in this photo , explosive

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ngtALzDAIcU"]Top Secret: Pinto - YouTube[/ame]

Back