• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cheap Light Diffusers...

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Saw this the other day and had to try the inexpensive alternative. Literally, in 30 seconds I had it made in front of Bill, TM and Duke with my pocket knife and an old opaque film can.

i-3HCm3Zp-L.jpg

i-3HCm3Zp-L.jpg]

Now, wondering how it works?

STOC without:
i-gcWkdwf-L.jpg

STOC with:
i-7LGqQd4-L.jpg

More options HERE

Where did you find a plastic film can?
Tom

I saw a guy and two gals on the beach last summer. One gal was holding a white t shirt to use as a reflector to add soft fillins for the picture . Neat. I stopped for a bit and watched them work.

I have parked my white truck in position to use it as a reflector in the past. Use what you got.

I had a piece of 1/2" foil-faced foam insulation board cut in 1/3s with foil, black, white sides. Used it for years.

A piece of plastic milk jug taped over works well. I always liked a little bounce board taped to my 283s better. My favorite most used lighting is just a piece of white cardboard or my collapsing silver-white reflector that is 20-25 years old now. I want to get one that is light gold in color

:tab Based on this idea, I have improved the design :trust:

:tab Instead of making the V cut through the open end, I just cut a flap opening in the side of the canister, leaving the rim of the opening intact so the lid can still be in place. On the base side, I stopped the flap opening about 1/8" from the base. This is enough width to cover the pop up flash on my D7000. The length of the flap cut around the circumference of the canister is such that the opening just pops over the thickest part of the flash body and the flap acts as a spring pressing against the top of the flash body to keep it the canister snug. The cap is left in place and acts to prevent light leakage out the side. It fits on very easy and once in place does not move around at all because of the flap pressure. I used it all morning during Christmas at my parents home and it worked great. My brother's wife had me make one for her so she could use it on her D40 and their daughter's D90.

:tab I'll post a pic or two later tonight if I can remember after getting home.

Here are the pics:

FilmTubeDiffuser1.jpg

You can see here that there is enough of the rim left that the lid still snaps securely to the tube and does not pop out.

FilmTubeDiffuser2.jpg

You can see in this last shot how tightly it is gripping my finger! The plastic of the tube is stiff enough that it provides great clamping force while still being flexible enough that getting the tube on/off the flash assembly is easy.

FilmTubeDiffuser3.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm.... me thinks v2 might be my next little project. I like it!

You could even use colored gels with it, held in place on each end with little rubber bands.

Back