• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Speaking of monitors...

Scott: as a guess you may have to do some test printing to get a feel for how much you need to adjust brightness in post processing to have print "match" monitor. Remember you are dealing with two DIFFERENT mediums and I think its going to take some practise to match them. just my .02. FWIW, my bride prints at costco via on-line and does lots of post processing. Might be worth a try on a few test shots. Good luck!
You also need to remember monitor CONTRAST & BRIGHTNESS LEVEL for your eyes may not match the printer.

Last edited:
I understand that monitors, printers, eyeballs, etc,... are not all able to be calibrated to a perfect standard. That said, the difference between what looks normal on my monitor under typical room lighting and what comes out of my printer is pretty drastic. It is not just a slight difference. I would be happy if I could get it in the ball park. I've no idea if there is anything I can do to the printer itself or if I just have to jack with the images in an attempt to get something decent out of the printer.

As a guess, I think you are going to have to "adjust" contrast, brightness and possibly chroma/tint. I think it falls into which is "easier" to adjust and heaven forbid get back to after someone inadvertantly changes your setup. Ara[beemerchef] takes his pictures in RAW mode for ease of post processing. I think his work is outstanding, but........I haven't tried to print and then match to my monitor. Perhaps drop him a PM?? Also as your monitor ages depending on its technology there can be quite a bit of "shift" in picture parameters. Having watched some of the shutterbugs on our forum maybe some of those folks can help you. Good luck and by the way, thanks for a great forum!
Wally

Back in the day I worked in TV stations so I know what a picture is supposed to look like.

When I started repairing sets for customers, I figured I would help them out by setting up the colors, contrast, etc like they should be. Sort of a value added thing.

Guess what, in a week or two I would be back out changing the settings back to where they were before I got out my adjusting sticks. I finally decided that it was their TV/monitor and if they liked the faces green that was ok (and cheaper) by me.

In short, if you like the way it looks, that is what counts. All the high dollar test gear is cool but the last line in pretty much any alignment procedure is to put a picture up and retweak all the adjustments for best picture.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk when i should have been doing something useful

I understand that monitors, printers, eyeballs, etc,... are not all able to be calibrated to a perfect standard. That said, the difference between what looks normal on my monitor under typical room lighting and what comes out of my printer is pretty drastic. It is not just a slight difference. I would be happy if I could get it in the ball park. I've no idea if there is anything I can do to the printer itself or if I just have to jack with the images in an attempt to get something decent out of the printer.

What about paper type??

In short, if you like the way it looks, that is what counts. All the high dollar test gear is cool but the last line in pretty much any alignment procedure is to put a picture up and retweak all the adjustments for best picture.....

Not if you're producing artwork for outside clients. I've just been through a whole round of approvals for a certain large hi-tech who are very picky that the red is "their" red and the grays are "their" grays.

Not if you're producing artwork for outside clients. I've just been through a whole round of approvals for a certain large hi-tech who are very picky that the red is "their" red and the grays are "their" grays.

The key here is "their" red ...

Took me several years of recalls to figure that out. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk when i should have been doing something useful

The color space for a monitor lies far beyond home inkjet printers much less high end photo inkjets. One is reflected color; the other transmitted color. They interact with ambient light completely different. Monitors are RGB, ink is CMYK on top of things like fluorescence.

Sent from parallel universe via tapatalk

Last edited:
Indeed. The only way to get close is to profile your monitor (in a fixed lighting condition) and ALSO profile your printer with your paper and ink. That'll get you as close as possible given your hardware.

Or, as was said above, get the printer profile from your online print provider.

I have recently (last 3 months) started to do in home printing.

I picked up an older Epson R2400. I can print up to 13" wide and well I don't know just how many feet long using roll paper.

I had to run through a set of inks just to get the print head clear. As the previous owner had stopped using it for close 3 years after upgrading to a newer printer.

Anyway, as I got comfortable getting my printed prints to come out of the printer satisfactorily (ink quality wise). But the colors would be "off" from what I would see on my screen.

I purchased a Spyder 4 Elite, and calibrated my monitor (iMac), and now the colors on the screen are EXACTLY what my printer prints out.

Home printing is, aside from the instant gratification satisfaction, is not any better (IMO) from what SmugMug provides. In case your wondering. If I was a pro, and was doing self fulfillment orders, I may feel differently. But I digress.

A calibrated monitor is a must (IMO) if your printing to a printer that will accept profiles. You will not be disappointed.

I have recently (last 3 months) started to do in home printing.

I picked up an older Epson R2400. I can print up to 13" wide and well I don't know just how many feet long using roll paper.

I had to run through a set of inks just to get the print head clear. As the previous owner had stopped using it for close 3 years after upgrading to a newer printer.

Anyway, as I got comfortable getting my printed prints to come out of the printer satisfactorily (ink quality wise). But the colors would be "off" from what I would see on my screen.

I purchased a Spyder 4 Elite, and calibrated my monitor (iMac), and now the colors on the screen are EXACTLY what my printer prints out.

Home printing is, aside from the instant gratification satisfaction, is not any better (IMO) from what SmugMug provides. In case your wondering. If I was a pro, and was doing self fulfillment orders, I may feel differently. But I digress.

A calibrated monitor is a must (IMO) if your printing to a printer that will accept profiles. You will not be disappointed.

IIRC, it'll print up to a 39 feet long print (x13") a roll. Talk about a panorama!

Back