• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where do you put your toll tag

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Gill
I may have seen a thread on this before, but didn't find it. Those of you with toll tags, where are you putting them? Anyone putting them in the top of a hard case? I think the reader should be able to read the tag there, but I'd like to have that confirmed. Right now I have my taped to the inside of my windscreen, but that's not terribly secure.

In my desk drawer. I let the plate reader do the work. Or not....

i just leave it at home now. Been forever since I was charged incorrectly by the plate reader. Also helps that I expense my tolls, lol.

The last time I had a bike with a toltag, it was the little hard plastic square.
I kept it in the top map pocket of my tankbag.

Mounted to inside front wall of a saddlebag. Seems to read fine.

Most of the ones they give out now are like a stick on sticker with a little RFID chip in it. There is a limited amount of material it will penetrate through to be read by the reader but a tank bag, jacket pocket, or something similar would be fine. My mesh jacket has an inside pocket so I just stuck it in there for a while but i learned if you have more than two tags you could get double billed if you get the tags mixed up (or try to carry both of them. I called NTTA and they fixed it but told me you shouldn't need a tag to receive the lowest rate as long as you have the plate registered to a tag. The lady I talked with one of her friends stuck his stick on tag on the back of his license plate and then put it on with some tamper resistant screws. Not a huge issue until your plate gets stolen but so far I have not had to contend with that. I imagine someone parking on the street may have more issues with that

My understanding is the only time you actually need the tag is when parking like at DFW airport. I don't have a tag on any of my vehicles and I get the toll tag rate on all tolls, even down in Austin. I do pay for parking at the gate when I leave DFW.

I keep mine in my son's car and let them TRY to take my picture.

I still have the plastic water proof "motorcycle" tag. If I am using my tank bag for a long trip it goes in there but it usually stays in the breast pocket of my riding jacket.

My understanding is the only time you actually need the tag is when parking like at DFW airport. I don't have a tag on any of my vehicles and I get the toll tag rate on all tolls, even down in Austin. I do pay for parking at the gate when I leave DFW.

I'll agree with this. Without it you have to pull a ticket at the booth. Wife has our only toll tag so we make sure only to run her car to the airport. Works on the remote north and south parking lots too which is nice.

I used some industrial strength Velcro to stick mine to the front brake reservoir . Works well and is easy to remove and put in a safe place to avoid theft. I keep mine in the glove box on my FJR. A plan that will never fail. Check Home Depot and Lowes for industrial strength Velcro.

I had the original white plastic brick. On my Gixxer I took the nose off of the bike and mounted it inside the nose piece. Picked up just fine. Then it was stolen. I monitored the account for a long time and it was never used. I contacted the NTTA and they told me they could replace it for a $25 fee as they considered it "Lost." My FJR is still registered under that stolen white brick, and I just let the plate reader do the work. I don't ride my bike to the airport.

When I first got the little gray plastic box, I used the supplied sticky tape and tucked it in under the windshield on the plastic. Some time later I began noticing an annoying buzzing/rattling sound that I though was my keys, then thought was the instrument cluster. I kept moving things and holding things.. couldn't find the source of the noise until it finally occurred to me that it could be the toll tag transceiver :doh: So yeah, now it sits inside my tank bag.

I keep mine strapped down under the rear seat of the FJR. Never had issue.

Those of you who don't have the tag mounted visibly, do any of you use the Texpress HOV2+ discounts? On their site they keep talking about how you must have the tag mounted on the windshield to receive the discount.

well it doesn't say anything about placement of the sticker but it does stipulate other hoops you have to jump through to get the 50% discount.

To qualify for the HOV 2+ discount, you first must:

Have a valid TollTag, TxTag or EZ TAG account.
Download the FREE Drive On TEXpress mobile app for smartphones or access the Drive On TEXpress website on your mobile phone, desktop, laptop or notepad at www.DriveOnTEXpress.com.
Register for your Drive On TEXpress account by providing some important information.

ok I found where it says the sticker has to be on windshield motorcycles included. but it says that is so their scanners can read them.

mine is on the wind shield of my ZRX and the NTTA scanners have never been able to read it.

Yeah, there are a lot of hoops. And I can't get my account set up (probably because my motorcycle plate changed and we hadn't updated it yet.)

Perhaps the stupidest thing is that I can't get the reduced rate in the morning because I enter the Express about 10 minutes before what they call rush hour. Yet the rate goes UP during rush hour because of the number of vehicles.

The politicians who signed off on this deserve to be exiled to Siberia.

The politicians who signed off on this deserve to be exiled to Siberia.

Agreed.

I wonder how all this squares with the sales tax money that was given to DART for the original "free" car pool lanes in Dallas and some of the surrounding cities.

Back