• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got bikes of all sizes on this ride, lol. 1200's aplenty. But, its more fun on a 650 or smaller! (that's just my short legs little opinion)

OK, Shadman, thanks. MexTruk 2017 it is. I'm in if I can wean that 1200GS off of Starbucks for a few days. No, wait - isn't there a Starbucks in Galeana...just across the plaza?

I can hang in Mexico for the Dia de los Muertos also. In fact, I'm retired, so I guess I can stay as long as I keep sending money home ;-).

Going to Paypal now.

And apologies for nearly highjacking your thread with a conversation about 2013 trip to Copper Canyon :eek2:.

Wow...45-50 "little bikes" will make los campesinos think they've been invaded by a swarm of bumblebees.

I'm achin' to go south again, but I ride a BIG BIKE and don't want to make anyone feel inferior...so I'm thinking about it...

Well, I've got a medium-sized bike (R1200 GS) and a small bike (KTM 500) and I'm taking the small bike, but if you want to bring a Harley, of course that's entirely up to you.;-)

Hello all! Just joined to post for the first time. Everett told me about this ride on Saturday, signed up for the forum that night and got sucked into reading the reports and prep for years past. I can't wait to roll down there!

For the most part I'm a street rider/road racer. I was surprised to see a couple of people I recognize from my time at TMGP (Hi Dennie!). I have a deposit down on a Ducati Desert Sled which the Italians are taking their sweet time delivering - the thought is to add all the farkles and test it out here in Texas before the trip in October. I considered getting a 250-450 dual sport, but I'm really keen on seeing what the Duc can do. I have some dirt experience, but it's been a couple of years, it was on a 2 stroke, and it was motocross.

I do have a specific skill that lends itself to this trip: I'm a native Spanish speaker. I was born in Colombia and lived there through the heights of the drug related violence of the late 80s and early 90s. If I can do anything to help the gringos going on this trip, I'll be happy to do it. Registered and paid, ready to roll! ... all I need is a bike! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. O,

That Ducati should be a very fun bike on this trip. Just outside of our HQ in Galeana, on the road to Iturbide and Linares, there is a canyon road, all asphalt, that rivals the best racetracks in the world for smoothness, grip, and twistyness. I rode it on my CBR1000 last April and it was quite nice. Best 60 KM within 250 miles of Texas.

https://goo.gl/maps/swzpaf6nvBL2

Not sure if your roadrace background will be worth anything down south. Most street racers tend to have trouble keeping up with us dirt only guys and can't transition to knobbies. Maybe they just don't have the huevos rancheros.

Just totally kidding! I'm CMRA#888, TMGP (2nd place endurance expert champion at one point). Guests have included Mark Shim (CMRA 250 champ / Pikes peak winner), Kris Lillegard (Motoamerica / Pikes peak winner), Joey G (halffast CMRA racer) and John Redford (CMRA), Everett Fox (TMGP / CMRA) have all killed it on dirt. Glad to have another racer on board!!! Plus, Dennie Spears (TMGP, you know him right) is planning to come this year also.

Peter

Last edited:
Man, my picture ruined for formatting for the page... I thought the forum would adjust the size. Though now you can all analyze a little closer.

If Lillegard can keep up I'm sure I'll be alright ;).

Quick question that I couldn't gather from the FAQ - is the 7 day visa something we get at the border? Or can we apply and receive it ahead of time?

:clap:
I do have a specific skill that lends itself to this trip: I'm a native Spanish speaker. I was born in Colombia and lived there through the heights of the drug related violence of the late 80s and early 90s. egistered and paid, ready to roll! ... all I need is a bike! :)

Welcome! We should trade stories. I did some "work" in the jungles of Bolivia during the mid 1980's.

Man, my picture ruined for formatting for the page... I thought the forum would adjust the size. Though now you can all analyze a little closer.

If Lillegard can keep up I'm sure I'll be alright ;).

Quick question that I couldn't gather from the FAQ - is the 7 day visa something we get at the border? Or can we apply and receive it ahead of time?

New for 2017 I am encouraging everyone to get a 7 day visa and TVIP vehicle permit ahead of the ride at their local consulate. You specify the time period when you buy it / them. 7 day visa is free. TVIP is same price for 7 or 180 days, but it must match your visa length.

Both are available at the border if that suits you. Just had issues last year.

Had a question about street bikes only on this ride. YES, it is a fine trip for street bikes. Maybe not the greatest routes or itineraries out of Galeana, but I would be glad to have streetbikes join us on the trip. You would just have to ride in your group solo from lunch in Montemorelos on day 1 to Galeana. No biggie, big easy route with huge signs and nothing off the beaten path. A few notes i sent to the street guys coming this year:

There are amazing street rides in most southern directions out of Monterrey. Although a road may show on a map as 100% concrete, there is a possibility that for a mile or two it might be a temporary gravel roadbase for road construction / maintenance / gov't corruption / political pressure. But aside from the unexpected slow section every 100 miles or so the roads are in good condition and can be taken at good speed. That's the good news.

The bad news is that Galeana is, to some degree, at the end of a dead end road, hwy 58 from the east. A great, curvy, fun road. I've come in from the southwest on hwy 58 and it is unremarkable.

North loop: great twisties, waterfalls near Santiago Cola de Cabello [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um7Nt7Wz_aQ"]Cola de Caballo - YouTube[/ame] or Chipitin [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5cJfwvYN3w"]Cascada del CHIPITIN - YouTube[/ame], mountain views 248 miles. All pavement. Amazing ride. https://goo.gl/maps/RZkvvdW5Lov

South loop: Hwy 61 south is nice, with good sweepers, and the ride to the General Zaragosa with waterfalls and riverside restaurants is a good, but short on riding, day trip at only 164 miles. https://goo.gl/maps/NBEPTwXrK4L2

Northwest Loop: You can go on some kinda flat and boring roads to Saltillo, a fairly large and interesting city 220 miles R/T https://goo.gl/maps/ehbgEVAFzfD2.

You can add in Mesa de la Tablas for some amazing riding and its 280 miles: https://goo.gl/maps/iHRXqXwm48z

If you feel up to 375 total miles you can venture to the oldest vineyard in North America. This is on my Mexico to do list.

http://www.madero.com.mx/historia/

http://www.cntraveler.com/story/on-a-pilgrimage-to-parras-mexicos-underrated-wine-region

http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/...the-americas-is-in-parras-de-la-fuente-mexico

https://goo.gl/maps/gJHkmrF46HU2

Another option would be to take a day / overnight in Monterrey, a true international and vibrant city. very upscale, modern, and at the same time very Mexican. The nightlife in the Antigua Monterrey downtown area is hip, urban, cultured, and high brow. Everett and I sometimes take an extra day to go to Monterrey after Galeana. It is a zoo.

Peter

Last edited:
Oh, we had a group of 3 riders in 2016 that were required to visit Monterrey on Friday night / Saturday morning for a mandatory dialysis procedure. They had a great time with friends while in Monterrey, and they absolutely loved the street ride up and difficult off-road ride back down through Santiago, waterfalls, canyons.

I hate to lose to much money in American Dollars, so My question is about what do you think is a good amout of Pecos needed on a daily basis, and I assume that the places we will be staying at on the extended ride will take a credit card?

I hate to lose to much money in American Dollars, so My question is about what do you think is a good amout of Pecos needed on a daily basis, and I assume that the places we will be staying at on the extended ride will take a credit card?

Just playing and no hurt feelings intended. I was laughing because I was unceremoniously set upon when asking the same question on ADVRider a few years ago.

Live and learn.

Last edited:
I think the easiest way is go to your local bank, most all can get Peso`s and get before you leave town. Its one less thing you have to worry about then take back what you don`t use. Wells Fargo does it for sure, and some branches carry them and some it takes a few days to get them... I pay all cash there its easier..

Short answer:

Pull cash at a mexican ATM. Keep leftover cash at trip's end for start of next trip. No interruptions, no drama, just diminished value each trip due to exchange rate favoring the dollar.

Long answer / clarification:

**Call your cc company and tell them you'll be in Mexico and to open int'l charges. Set a low, reasonable daily atm limit ($250) in case of theft.***

Pull cash at a mexican ATM. You'll get published exchange rates with a $5 - 8 or so fee. Pull $250. That'll get you 4715 pesos at current rate of ~18.5 : 1

Hotel is 360 per night single. 540 / 2 double IIRC or $270 PP. They only take cash. Max hotel is 3 * 360 = 1080. 3635 pesos / $195 USD remaining. That should way more than enough for gas, food, beer, drinks, snacks, and some memorabilia purchases. I usually walk away spending under $200.00 USD in total and I don't pinch pesos while in country.

Everyone is usually running out of pesos on the last day. If you have surplus, just trade it with a friend. If you run out most restaurants, servers, cashiers, and friendly town folk will exchange it for you on the spot, but you'll get like 16 or 17 to 1.

Any peso you don't spend expect to take a 5 - 7% hit if you exchange it back at a US side border "casa de cambio" (house of change, basically).

At chase bank they will accept pesos for deposit. I'm assuming most other banks do to. They give you published rate or very close to it so you won't eat up any cash going this route.

Basically, assume $10 will be spent per $250 exchanged. On average, 5% of your money vanishes. But...what you can buy with your pesos is pretty darn unbelievable.

Clarion's impressively cheap rate of $63 per night seems like a bargain for US travelers. then you get hit with the Magdelena bill of $1080 pesos. Sounds like a lot, but that is ~$58 for 3 night stay on the plaza in Mexico. Monopoly money almost!

***Credit cards are accepted at the visa / permit office but the name on the card must match your ID/ Passport. Business cards without your name MAY not be accepted.***

Last edited:

Take this for what it's worth because my experience is very limited. Others may weigh in with different experiences.

I don't know what you mean about losing money in dollars. You can always change whatever you don't use back to dollars. I prefer to keep them as a reminder that I need to go back and spend 'em:sun:.

I took about $100 per day and that was more than adequate for lodging, food, and gas.
I wouldn't count on using a credit card for much of anything while down there.
There is a bank across the street from the motel in Galeana, but their open hours are prime riding hours and I can't remember if they're open weekends. There's an ATM at the bank. I think it's accessible 24x7 but not sure. I do know that it wouldn't work with my card while I was there. Make sure you notify your card issuer that you're going to be in Mexico before you leave. (That wasn't the problem with mine; it just wouldn't work)

I think you might be able to use a card for purchases at the little grocery store beside the motel but I never tried.

Other than the above examples, I don't think any of the purchases I made (restaurants, ice cream, snacks, ice cream, soda, repair parts, ice cream, water, water infused with barley and hops, ice cream, etc.) would have been possible without cash in hand.

just my 38 centavos worth. YMMV

Carry the Peso....leave the CC in your wallet for when your drunk ?.
Looks like a good time to me ! See if I'm in one piece after the summer and I may be in ! Reserve me a t-shirt Peter. You know thats the only thing in this world I ride for

Pecos? We going to West Texas?

Not sure what you mean about "...hate to lose too much money..."? Gambling problem?

They have ATM's (along with full-fledged banks, gas stations, grocery stores, toothpaste, toilet paper, hotels, WiFi, real Coca Cola, etc.) all over Mexico :rofl:. There are even cambios at the border so you can convert any unused pesos back to US$ on the return. I take a couple of hundred dollars to buy pesos at the border, then get more when needed, then sell back any I don't use. If that's "losing money", it's just the cost of doing business outside of the USA!

This is a blog, after all, but teasing aside, YMMV re food and drink.

That's an awesome answer...

edited cause we all love each other, and Centex has been with us in Mexico. (Shadman)

Last edited by a moderator:
Short answer:

Pull cash at a mexican ATM. Keep leftover cash at trip's end for start of next trip. No interruptions, no drama, just diminished value each trip due to exchange rate favoring the dollar.

Long answer / clarification:

**Call your cc company and tell them you'll be in Mexico and to open int'l charges. Set a low, reasonable daily atm limit ($250) in case of theft.***

Pull cash at a mexican ATM. You'll get published exchange rates with a $5 - 8 or so fee. Pull $250. That'll get you 4715 pesos at current rate of ~18.5 : 1

Hotel is 360 per night single. 540 / 2 double IIRC or $270 PP. They only take cash. Max hotel is 3 * 360 = 1080. 3635 pesos / $195 USD remaining. That should way more than enough for gas, food, beer, drinks, snacks, and some memorabilia purchases. I usually walk away spending under $200.00 USD in total and I don't pinch pesos while in country.

Everyone is usually running out of pesos on the last day. If you have surplus, just trade it with a friend. If you run out most restaurants, servers, cashiers, and friendly town folk will exchange it for you on the spot, but you'll get like 16 or 17 to 1.

Any peso you don't spend expect to take a 5 - 7% hit if you exchange it back at a US side border "casa de cambio" (house of change, basically).

At chase bank they will accept pesos for deposit. I'm assuming most other banks do to. They give you published rate or very close to it so you won't eat up any cash going this route.

Basically, assume $10 will be spent per $250 exchanged. On average, 5% of your money vanishes. But...what you can buy with your pesos is pretty darn unbelievable.

Clarion's impressively cheap rate of $63 per night seems like a bargain for US travelers. then you get hit with the Magdelena bill of $1080 pesos. Sounds like a lot, but that is ~$58 for 3 night stay on the plaza in Mexico. Monopoly money almost!

***Credit cards are accepted at the visa / permit office but the name on the card must match your ID/ Passport. Business cards without your name MAY not be accepted.***

Thanks Shadman!!

Warren E, Wegger.

Refund sent, I will not take your money.

Why? Your trip is free!!! Many thanks for the GA ticket to MotoGP. Standup selfless guy! I'm excited to have you along.

40. Warren E Wegger

If you are counting on using the ATMs there, which is the best exchange rate as previously noted, you might want to have a backup card from a different bank. On the second to last day of our ride last month, my bank "went offline" or something and my card quit working. Wasted an hour running around to 3 other ATMs in a big city to no avail. Luckily Patrick and I hadn't gone different directions yet and I was able to give him US $ to pull some more pesos. With two nights and lots of toll roads left I'd have been hosed had I gone with my original plan...but there was another waterfall to be jumped off of...

OXXOs generally take credit cards from anywhere, and there is one in Galeana on the square, but don't plan on using them anywhere else in any small town or nearly any Pemex.

The hotels in Real de Catorce and Xilitla wouldn't take them a coupe weeks ago - so that's where we had to unload a lot of pesos. Not sure what the rates in R14 will be around halloween, but it's a tourist town, so might plan accordingly.

Oh, and 200 pesos isn't enough of a reason to go back. If you come home with a couple thousand, you HAVE to go back and fast before it loses value. :trust:

Man, that's over the top, thanks! I'm excited too, and I'm really looking forward to another trip to Mexico. I've got a couple hundred pesos left over from my last trip stuck to the refrigerator door to keep me focused.

Cheers!

Warren E, Wegger.

Refund sent, I will not take your money.

Why? Your trip is free!!! Many thanks for the GA ticket to MotoGP. Standup selfless guy! I'm excited to have you along.

40. Warren E Wegger

Mis amigos, nos vemos en octubre en Galeana, estare alli con ustedes disfrutando las calles de tereseria, el buen ambiente y la compania de muchachos locos con un destino de pasar un tiempo a toda madre. Viva Mektrek 2017 !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back