• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

kickstarting this section...

Reaction score
First Name
Willum or Bill
Some videos to kickstart this forum section...

Nothing special, just some trail riding at RRMT last weekend.

No, we're not racers. Charlie, my son, has been riding about 18 months now, and I'm an old enduro/desert racer that's content to ride trails with my son now.

I am interested in this technology. Please elaborate on your camera and mounting system. Is that a helmet cam, etc.?

Thanks,

Mike

Looks like fun riding. What's that shiny bit on your front fender?

The yellow, rubber chicken? It reminds me to be a bit chicken when I ride. I don't heal as fast as as use to. :giveup:

My smart%#$ answer is, it's my GPS. Guidance Poultry System.

My video system is somewhat old technology and bulky.

I use a Viosport, Adventure Cam II that mounts with velcro on the helmet.

I carry a Canon ZR45MC DV camcorder wrapped in a towel and stuffed into a Camelbac MULE packpack.

The camera plugs into the A/V jack on the camcorder, and you set the camcorder to VCR mode. The mic is built inline with the cord that goes to the camera. One drawback to the camera is that it needs 12VDC to power the CCD. It comes with a AA battery holder that holds eight AA batteries. There's no power switch, you must remember to unplug the battery holder when you're done using it.

I have a small, waterproof, momentary contact switch that plugs into the LANC port on the camera to stop/start the recording. I route the cable down the shoulder strap, along with the drinking hose.

As far as software, I'm using Cyberlink Powerdirector to edit and output the video. I transfer the video to the computer using the Firewire interface on the camera.

I'm sure there's better software out there, but what I have works with my ancient, win2000 system and allows me to control the tape transport and capture the video using timecode.

MPEG4 codec seems to be the best output method, if you're going to put the video on the net.

And thanks for all the kind comments, everyone.

I would really like to know what the latest and greatest is out there. I will be doing another MEX ride in the fall, and possibly one to Panama in 2010. I'd like to get my skills up with both video and camera.

Great thread and thanks for starting it.

Mike

Having a son that likes hanging with his old man is priceless... Enjoy it while you can for all it is worth! :dude:

The following were shot using a GoPro Hero, mounted above the instrument cluster, behind my rather crazed windshield.

Back