• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Newbie to motorcycles

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Decker
My name is Justin and I just purchased a 1991 Honda VFR750F. Paid too much for it, though it has really low mileage and has been kept up really well. But it has some body damage to it and actually I banged it up a little more on my 3rd time ever riding (too much gas + too much clutch - experience = bike falling over on ankle).

I'm planning on taking my safety course in the next couple weeks once my ankle heals and then get my license and start learning to ride. So any tips and advice on where to shop for new body parts would be greatly aprpeciated.

Welcome, Justin, from a not-so-far-from-a-brand-newbie myownself. I like to call myself a Novice now...
bigstar.gif

Take that class, gear up, have fun. Welcome to the addiction... :-P

Howdy! Welcome to the addicition ;-) Great bike! There are several VFR specific mailing lists and forums.

The Big List - email only
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~john/vfr-list/

VFR Discussion - Great forum
http://vfrdiscussion.com/

Those two places would be good starts in tracking down parts and bodywork for the VFR.

:tab Good move signing up for the class and getting your license. Afterwards, I would suggest going to a big parking lot and practicing some of the stuff they teach you in the class, specifcially the braking excercises. In all aspects of your riding, where you are looking is CRUCIAL. Pay attention to where your eyes are focused. Your chin should be up and you should be looking ahead where you want the bike to go. The lack of proper eye focus is one of the most common causes of accidents.

:tab I highly recommend two books to everyone:

Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough

and

Twist of the Wrist II by Keith Code

:tab Both are excellent books that will get you well on your way to developing proper skills and avoiding the wrong actions on the bike. Don't let the "High Performance" part of the Twist of the Wrist scare you off. The principles of control discussed apply to ANY kind of bike on the street whether they be sportbikes, cruisers, tourers, etc,...

:tab Lastly, I believe the A&M motorcycle club is still meeting every Wednesday at 6:00pm at the Taco Cabana on Texas Ave across from the campus. PM Ducgirl for more info as she was instrumental in getting the club up and running again recently.

yeah i found vfrdiscussion.com and there is alot of info there luckily. I just hope I can get into the class asap so i can start riding this baby

I took mine at the Training Wheels in College Station last summer. Yes, the class was full, eventhough the weather was VERY hot. I'm sure you'll have a good time taking the course. The DPS office, on the bypass, administors the written test on a monitor (no more paper).

Welcome!
TMA (total motorcycle addiction) is a cruel taskmaster ;-)

Welcome to the board. Glad to see another rider in town. The A&M bike club meets at Taco Cabana at 7 (not 6) on Wednesdays. We will be glad to have you stop by.

Good move signing up for the course, it is a great time. And even though they don't give the written test there, if you pay close attention they tell you all the answers.

Back