• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sup!

Reaction score
Hello, I live in Austin. I ride a couple of KLR's and I just sold my Blackbird a few months back. I work on bikes out of my garage on the side for friends and family. I have had 4 KLR's and now I have just started building my "perfect one"
I read the post about Tourmeister's rides out west. I am riding to Big Bend in March. I usually trailer, this time it is KLR all the way. My brother is taking his 1150GS. Just looking for some good un-paved roads, trails or whatever I can dig up. We will be leaving ATX on the 11th of March. We will head back on the 18th. I was looking for some cool back roads from Terllingua into the park. I was already going to do Old Ore Road and Black Gap Road in the park. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Welcome, I haven't been to west Texas on the KLR yet but I plan to one day. I am sure Tourmeister and the gang can give you some direction out that way. I would like to see pictures of the perfect KLR your building, keep us posted.

I ride the 89 KLR now. I have had the 97 for a while and a friend dropped the "doohickey" out at about 85mph. So I took it all apart to rebuild and I realized I have my old kl600. It is an 84 model and it still runs like it was new. So I am using the 600 trans with the close ratio 1st and 2nd gears, also the kicker shaft from the 600. I never have figured out why companies get rid of those, at least on D/S's. I have a 670 big bore kit from wiseco. I am looking at cams right now for it so I can start putting this motor together. I have the alluminium sub-frame off the 600 for a little diet on the overall weight. I am also using a right side rad. off the 600 for a dual rad setup. I had taken the brain out of the 600 a while back when I took it apart. I have it on the 89 I ride everyday, WOW what a difference. Totally changed the ignition curve. So in the spring I am hoping to have it all ready to get painted and rolling. It will be tricky, I am trying to save for a xr650r right now. This is myspace acct with some pics. http://www.myspace.com/skychicken

What's invovled in building the perfect KLR? :scratch:

For some reason your post didn't show up when I replied. Nevermind............

Last edited:
Welcome to the site :wave:

:tab Seems like a LOT of people are heading out to Big Bend in March! Gonna be crowded out there, hehe. Keep us posted on the progress of the perfect KLR, would love to see it!

:tab XR650Rocketman and Teeds are the guys in the know about the roads out in that area.

The perfect KLR would be 30 pounds lighter, have 15 more hp with closer ratio 1st and 2nd gears, and a kickstart for backup. Oh, and higher output stator with the wiring to match.

:trust: About time you showed up here. I still don't have the lights working on Booger. I am hoping to go into town this week and pick up a hella light kit from NAPA and see if it works. Some guys on russianiron suggested it. My lovely wife is out of town wed-friday, but I have to work if you get a day off head down and we can hang out and you can go ride during the day. Hope all is well. Later

Back