• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Important information about using the SPOT

The conjugate graticule used for most current maps in the U. S. of A. is North American Datum 1983 (NAD83). USGS is converting many older maps to this datum.

Here is a site to convert back and forth among GPS and NAD83:
http://www.jeepreviews.com/wireless-gps-coordinates/

Here is a site to convert between NAD83 and the older NAD27: http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/nadcon.prl

Keep in mind that more precise measuring techniques and geologic activities are constantly changing the earth. No system is totally accurate.

Whatever datum you use, you'll almost always be within 1/4 mile of your target. Remember that limit when you get to a location and no victim is found--you are very close, keep looking. Shouldn't be much trouble to find someone if they are on a road. If you are the victim, make sure you are visible. Sounds simple, but people have died after crawling into a crevice or log to escape the weather, and searchers walked within feet and never saw them.

I am hesitate about posting spot on a forum. Being a woman on a solo run I worry about who would follow this and how safe that would be. I think spot is great so my husband can keep an eye out for me.

How do the rest of you feel about that?

I am hesitate about posting spot on a forum. Being a woman on a solo run I worry about who would follow this and how safe that would be. I think spot is great so my husband can keep an eye out for me.

I think that is a legitimate concern. SPOT tracking is an invitation to have your home burglarized if the wrong people know when you are gone. Maybe not a big deal for a motorcyclist who leaves family behind, but for a single person or a traveling couple with almost-grown kids at home that could be a problem.

How does all of this change the fact that once somebody who actually knew how to use a GPS got his coordinates, they flew right to him?

Regarding GotDurt's suggestion, maybe it's time for an ADV/Local MC group crowdsourcing 1st responder capability? :-P

It does not, as stated it is my observations gleaned from 17 years of GPS usage.

Bob touched on a few of the topics that affect use, specifically the differences in DATUMs, lat lon in decimal degrees vs. degrees minutes & seconds. It was my intent to give further insight into how the GPS system "works".

I have always been of the opinion that understanding how your tools work was paramount in being able to effectively use those tools, your mileage may vary.

Respectfully,
John

Frankly, I think your mistake was bringing the government into it by pressing 911 :-P It's sad to say, but better qualified civilians delayed action because they were afraid of getting in the local authorities' way... I believe that if it were left up to TWT and/or Advrider members, without the confusion of the 911 call, you probably would have been reached in 1/2 the time.

Regarding GotDurt's suggestion, maybe it's time for an ADV/Local MC group crowdsourcing 1st responder capability? :-P

As stated, GotDurt was right on. The ADV riders delayed coming because they thought the local authorities were coming. I think the idea of some sort of central site where we could post information about our itinerary, etc. with a list of folks in that area willing to find/help fellow riders in need would be good.

Just saying it would be nice, won’t make it happen.

I would like to work to make it happen. Any folks out there willing to help me? I don’t, however, have a clue as to where to start?

I think that's a legitimate concern both for the reason Ken stated and for your own personal safety while on the road.

I think that's a legitimate concern both for the reason Ken stated and for your own personal safety while on the road.

....and yet another reason my spot link is no longer in my sig line.

As a backup or alternative to SPOT, sending your GPS coordinates to friends/family via text messaging is a good idea. Text messages are sent in much smaller data packages than voice service. Even when you think your cell phone has no signal, text messages can sometimes still be sent/received.

Receiving a simple "help coming" text would have been very reassuring to Bob in this situation.

_

As a backup or alternative to SPOT, sending your GPS coordinates to friends/family via text messaging is a good idea. Text messages are sent in much smaller data packages than voice service. Even when you think your cell phone has no signal, text messages can sometimes still be sent/received.

Receiving a simple "help coming" text would have been very reassuring to Bob in this situation.

_

You are right. To be able to send/receive simple text messages would have been great. So even if I don't have cell phone coverage ("shows no service" on front screen). I still may have been able to send/receive text messages?

Something as new as a 550 MUST have WGS84 as an option. It's the most commonly used datum out there. You just haven't looked in the right place. Go into utilities, find maps, find "datum(s)" and you can switch it.

What is available on my 550 under format is three varieties of long/lat, US National Grid, UTM/UPS Grid, MGRS Grid, and many International locale grids.

You are right. To be able to send/receive simple text messages would have been great. So even if I don't have cell phone coverage ("shows no service" on front screen). I still may have been able to send/receive text messages?

In some cases that is correct. Text messages will periodically attempt to transmit until sent. You can get brief seconds of cell signal that are enough to send/receive texts but won't change your display screen status.

Did anybody send you a text during this ordeal? You might already know this answer. When you powered your cell phone back on or moved back into cell coverage did you receive any text messages that had been sent long ago?

_

....and yet another reason my spot link is no longer in my sig line.

"Let's see, where is he? Okay, he's at some BBQ joint. Time to hit his place."

I cringe sometimes at the things friends post on FaceBook. One lady kept posting that they were all going on a cruise, and posted when they were leaving. I came close to leaving them a note on their door thanking them for their big screen TV, computers, etc.

Did anybody send you a text during this ordeal? You might already know this answer. When you powered your cell phone back on or moved back into cell coverage did you receive any text messages that had been sent long ago?

_

Nope. I had a bunch of folks trying to call me but none of us thought about trying to send a text message. I will keep this in mind and inform others on my receiver list.

Right now my brother and wife (mostly brother) are threating to slash my tires if I ever do another solo trip in remote areas. So not sure when I will get to use that info.

Just an FYI... Personal Locater Beacon ... is what I would take if riding a remote area or alone on an adventure tour. I never venture out on the boat without one (actually two, on on the boat, one in the ditch-bag), and this said, if you are truly in a "bad situation", you will get immediate assistance when this is activated. The SPOT is good for two things; 1) let's friends/family follow your travels & 2) the SOS feature is better than nothing, but it does not send the signal to the authorities who are tasked with immediate response of a life or death situation. Personally, the $500 of the right equipment is cheap compared to the option of bleading out in a ditch as described.

As many have said... you get what you pay for. BTW, I do not recommend "testing" it see what happens as the fines for a false alarm are hefty.
(edit: Meant to add this link: http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/emerbcns.html )

and a great place to acquire one:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...rsonal Alarms&category=680&refine=1&page=GRID

Tons of info on PLB's here The Ultimate Personal Locator Beacon FAQ most notably is:

Q: Who will respond when I turn on my PLB?
A: That will depend upon your location.

Typically, the Coast Guard responds to marine distress, but they may also utilize appropriate local or state assets if available and closer.

Inland distress is generally the responsibility of local law enforcement, typically a county sheriff in much of the U.S. often with the assistance of local volunteer search and rescue teams. These may call upon federal or state assets if available.

The Civil Air Patrol generally responds to an aviation distress signal in most states in the U.S., and historically this has been primarily because generally extensive air search is necessary to locate the inaccurate 121.5 MHz beacon. In most cases of a 406 MHz PLB alert they will not be activated unless indications are that it comes from a downed aircraft and that local SAR resources cannot locate and take care of it in short order. That downed aircraft indication will come from providing that data in the Additional Data section, or from the Emergency Contacts listed on the registration form.

In most cases these days where the PLB alert is a remote location, the first assets to arrive will be airborne, typically a helicopter from the closest SAR resource, regardless of who operates it.
---------------------------------------------------

So regardless of whether its a SPOT or a PLB, if you have to use it, you're still at the mercy of the same authorities/responders.

Respectfully,
John

So regardless of whether its a SPOT or a PLB, if you have to use it, you're still at the mercy of the same authorities/responders.

Respectfully,
John

Thank you so much for that clarification. PLB's are very good for marine type activities or avalanche rescue. These type of rescue units typically have the equipment and training to read the beacon signal those devices emit.

If a local sheriff does not have a GPS, then they most certainly would not have the ability to pick up such a signal. Yes you can get a PLB that will also transmit GPS coordinates. At that point we are back where we started. Most aircraft have the equipment, but they also have GPS’s and could locate you just as well.

Bottom line. There is no magic button.

I think Bob's experience is out of the ordinary. I've heard of several rescue stories, granted they were from the SPOT website, were the signal was passed on to local rescue folks who arrived within the hour. Bob just happened to be in a county that was operating in the 1950's as far as rescue technology. Point being that once the locals were skipped and the state troopers got the call they were there shortly. Would have been better if he hadn't had to spend the night though.

I think you may be right, but a lot of our adventure riders like to ride New Mexico. Red Brown had a similar experience near Cloudcroft a couple of months ago. Something that you would do well to keep in mind.

Bob just happened to be in a county that was operating in the 1950's as far as rescue technology. Point being that once the locals were skipped and the state troopers got the call they were there shortly. Would have been better if he hadn't had to spend the night though.

Those of us in urbanized areas might be surprised as just how common that "1950s" rescue technology is. The majority of the land mass of the US is sparsely populated, and those rural jurisdictions just don't have a lot of modern technology to rely on. 911 is about as modern as much of the country gets (and not from your cell phone, either). Even if you can get a cell signal, don't count on getting a good location fix to pass to 911. Odds are you're only going to see one cell tower, which makes triangulation pretty hard.

Those of us in urbanized areas might be surprised as just how common that "1950s" rescue technology is. The majority of the land mass of the US is sparsely populated, and those rural jurisdictions just don't have a lot of modern technology to rely on. 911 is about as modern as much of the country gets (and not from your cell phone, either). Even if you can get a cell signal, don't count on getting a good location fix to pass to 911. Odds are you're only going to see one cell tower, which makes triangulation pretty hard.

+1
Below is still the "high tech" search & rescue procedure in many rural Counties.

Deputy Ernest to his faithful bloodhound Duke, "smell these drawers Duke and now let's go find him" haha

http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/images/uploads/bloodhound_drawers.jpg

_

Last edited by a moderator:
I could be wrong, but regardless of what you see on the movies, I don't think it is possible for someone to find your location when using a cell phone. A lot of cell phones can use triangulation to find where you are, but I don't think anyone can find you.

Actually, yes, they can:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/cellping.asp

And if you turn on location based service support on newer phones, it can identify your location even more closely. That requires a GPS enabled phone, though. There are programs available for Android and iPhones (and probably others), that will let you remotely activate and determine your phone's location in the event that it's stolen.

All of this assumes you can connect to at least one cell tower, of course.

Actually, yes, they can:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/cellping.asp

And if you turn on location based service support on newer phones, it can identify your location even more closely. That requires a GPS enabled phone, though. There are programs available for Android and iPhones (and probably others), that will let you remotely activate and determine your phone's location in the event that it's stolen.

All of this assumes you can connect to at least one cell tower, of course.

On my new Droid phone with the gps on it will place you as accurate as any gps device. It will show me at home in the middle of my living room. :eek2: With the gps off it will locate me within a radius of about 1500 ft. on the mapping software. If you don't want anyone to know exactly where you are just deactivate the gps.

Keep in mind that most, if not all, phones need a phone network connection as well as a GPS connection to accurately position you. So in the middle of nowhere, it may do you know good.

Android phones, like my Evo and Bruce's Droid, have an app called Latitude. Register and turn it on, and people you give access to can track your location, as long as you have a cell signal. I'm sure other smartphone platforms have a similar program.

Keep in mind that most, if not all, phones need a phone network connection as well as a GPS connection to accurately position you. So in the middle of nowhere, it may do you know good.

Android phones, like my Evo and Bruce's Droid, have an app called Latitude. Register and turn it on, and people you give access to can track your location, as long as you have a cell signal. I'm sure other smartphone platforms have a similar program.

That's why I have a SPOT. ;-)

Back