• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2002 BMW F650GS Fuel Pump

NPHLYT

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
I have the subject bike that has been in storage for a long time. Just got around to it and figured out that the fuel pump is dead. OEM pump is $400+, aftermarket is ~$60. Does anyone have any experience with these? If not, can you point me in the right direction?

BMW's profit margin on parts is pretty insane. was it parked because it had quit running?

I've bought aftermarket fuel pumps for "R" BMWs from Beemer Boneyard. They sell complete "kits" with hoses, clamps, O-rings, etc. I don't know if they carry parts for your bike, but it's worth a try. The last fuel pump I bought there was made by the OEM mfg and was about 1/3 the price of a dealer's.

Good point. When I was riding a vintage Honda, I bought used parts, over the phone, from Bates Cycle in east Dallas. The part always worked, they never sold me a mismatch, and they shipped. Used is probably worth exploring.

The bike belongs to a friend who moved to Sweden about 12 years ago and had 7 motorcycles, a restored 67 bug, and a 14' jet boat in enclosed storage. This BMW is the last of his bikes (still have the bug at my mechanic's for storage).

I am considering selling my Harley Forty Eight and buying this from him. I never get a chance to ride and the value of the Harley is not going up, but I still want a bike that runs.

I will check out Beemer Boneyard.

Check out advrider forums/thumpers/ f650gs or Dakar threads. Bookoo info on our bikes can be had there. They have seen it all and pretty much know it all....:eek2:

Had a VTX1800 that suffered similar neglect.
Pump was located in a surge tank and Honda only sold it as a unit to the tune of $450.
The tank was held together with security torx bolts.

Took it apart and buried in all the goo and trash was the fuel pump with a Honda part number on it.

Autozone cross referenced it to Honda Civic ... $16.

Cleaned everything in the tank, it plugged right in and worked like a champ.

Similarly, I found that the $250 fuel tank sender and pump in a surge tank drop in 4th generation Camaros and Firebirds housed a mid 90s 3rd gen Camaro fuel pump. pry apart the surge tank, plug and play the pump.

Moral of the story?
Manufacturers rarely make unique components, just package them differently.

Last edited:
Back