• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

dirt bikes and license plates

Reaction score
So, I've been looking unsuccessfully for something recent on plating a dirtbike in Texas, most of the info I've found is circa 2007.

I want to get a 2017 KTM 450 SX-F Factory Edition throw on a speedometer, Cyclops Rally light, and a tail light and convert it. I live in El Paso, so getting a KTM is hard enough by itself.

However, the problem lies with the MCO and the Title. I called DPS and was told flat out no it cannot be done and will not be done if the title says off-road. Yet I have not found anything in writing, just what "Amy" from dps told me. Does anyone have recent experience converting a dirtbike to be legal for road use? Or should I just count my losses and get the 450 Six days edition?

I've grown up on KTM bikes so they will always be worth the money for me.

Thanks y'all.

Last edited:
You can make one street legal easy in Texas. But it's still just a dirt bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should tell that DPS guy that a lot of us can prove him wrong..
Look at your title, does it say anything about (for offroad use only) I don`t believe KTM`s have it. If not makes it even easier..

It can be done. I'm riding a relatively new plated KTM 250XCW I bought from Woodsguy. My insurance company thinks it's a different model KTM, but that is another story.

Doing one from scratch, I'd first read the "Assembled and Rebuilt Vehicle Manual" from the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. Looks like all you need is a title and a VTR-64 signed off by a certified tech stating it is safe and legal. Take these comments with a grain of salt because I've never done one myself.

m

Yeah, mine is a 500XCW that was converted and licensed by the dealer. Insurance card list it as a EXC..

There's no need to delve into the assembled or rebuilt area. Get it street legal with horn, lights including high beam and at least one mirror if not two. Get a safety inspection and a green sheet also called VI-30 from the inspection place. With your off road title in your name, the inspection sheet, and the VI-30 you can file for road title and plate using the standard title application form. Note, that you will pay the equivalent of sales tax on the bike, since that is not collected on dirt only models. Might be worth considering an already street legal model unless that particular SX-F has some feature you just can't live without.

Wide ratio gearing is your friend on the street by the way. Not sure if the SX-F has the wide or close ratio transmission.

edit.... I almost forgot to mention that you have to have insurance coverage before you can start the inspection process.

Last edited:
Is the VI-30 still available, my local test center now longer issues them as everything is done electronically? Some test center as more fussy than others, some will check that your tyres are marked DOT road legal, and one test center insisted that the front brake line must have the DOT approval text on it!! I ended up fitting a WR450 front brake line and all was good. Just be aware some are more picky than others!! It is a simple process, I have done it 4 times in Texas and once in Washington state (that's where they wanted the DOT approved brake line!) but that was before they went completely paperless, so just not sure about the VI-30 form!!

Gary

I have done this to with an off road tx blue title. Are you all sure you can do it with an MSO?

Btw.... we all need a street Legal Ktm 450sx to put a little wind in our face. Awesome bikes. Only made better by being street legal .

Last edited:
My buddy just did a 2-Stroke KTM here in Fort Worth.

Baja Designs kit, DOT Tires, Insurance, took it for inspection, took paper to DMV, and they gave him tags. easy peasy.

You should tell that DPS guy that a lot of us can prove him wrong..
Look at your title, does it say anything about (for offroad use only) I don`t believe KTM`s have it. If not makes it even easier..

Amy is a guy? Hey, this still isn't Kali.

There's no need to delve into the assembled or rebuilt area. Get it street legal with horn, lights including high beam and at least one mirror if not two. Get a safety inspection and a green sheet also called VI-30 from the inspection place. With your off road title in your name, the inspection sheet, and the VI-30 you can file for road title and plate using the standard title application form. Note, that you will pay the equivalent of sales tax on the bike, since that is not collected on dirt only models. Might be worth considering an already street legal model unless that particular SX-F has some feature you just can't live without.

Wide ratio gearing is your friend on the street by the way. Not sure if the SX-F has the wide or close ratio transmission.

edit.... I almost forgot to mention that you have to have insurance coverage before you can start the inspection process.

No sales tax on dirt only vehicles??? Hmmmm.

My buddy just did a 2-Stroke KTM here in Fort Worth.

Baja Designs kit, DOT Tires, Insurance, took it for inspection, took paper to DMV, and they gave him tags. easy peasy.

But more difficult on an SX due to the lack of electrical parts necessary. I can't see it being a decent D/S bike.

No sales tax on dirt only vehicles??? Hmmmm.

Not only does Texas tax dirt bikes (if you title it) but they are taxed at a higher rate--6% I think for a titled vehicle vs. whatever the local sales tax rate--8.25% here.

..and it is simple in Texas to get a dirt bike street legal/plated from an MSO. That is all I ever do. The dealer here would do it for us (local KTM shop that has since gone out of business). Ed already explained the process. Same no matter if you are converting an off road title or titling from an MSO.

The advantage from doing it from the MSO is that you sales on the sales tax rate. It is good for a few hundred in your pocket.

clap:
Not only does Texas tax dirt bikes (if you title it) but they are taxed at a higher rate--6% I think for a titled vehicle vs. whatever the local sales tax rate--8.25% here.

..and it is simple in Texas to get a dirt bike street legal/plated from an MSO. That is all I ever do. The dealer here would do it for us (local KTM shop that has since gone out of business). Ed already explained the process. Same no matter if you are converting an off road title or titling from an MSO.

The advantage from doing it from the MSO is that you sales on the sales tax rate. It is good for a few hundred in your pocket.

:clap: Thanks, good to know.

It can be done. I'm riding a relatively new plated KTM 250XCW I bought from Woodsguy. My insurance company thinks it's a different model KTM, but that is another story.

Doing one from scratch, I'd first read the "Assembled and Rebuilt Vehicle Manual" from the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. Looks like all you need is a title and a VTR-64 signed off by a certified tech stating it is safe and legal. Take these comments with a grain of salt because I've never done one myself.

m

I went an even easier route. I had my buddy who buys and sells junk cars fix me up. He just set me up with an application for amended title, i got a state inspection, then walked into the DMV. Now my title says "Bonded" title on it, but that will go away after a year or 2.

If you really want to do it pretty well turnkey, call the guys at 380 Motorsports in Decatur, TX. They can help you do it pretty easy.

Honestly though if you are buying a new bike, just get the 450 EXC. It's already plated with lights and blinkers, and costs about the same as the 450 SXF.

Bonus points for the standard electric start.

Is the VI-30 still available, my local test center now longer issues them as everything is done electronically? Some test center as more fussy than others, some will check that your tyres are marked DOT road legal, and one test center insisted that the front brake line must have the DOT approval text on it!! I ended up fitting a WR450 front brake line and all was good. Just be aware some are more picky than others!! It is a simple process, I have done it 4 times in Texas and once in Washington state (that's where they wanted the DOT approved brake line!) but that was before they went completely paperless, so just not sure about the VI-30 form!!

Gary

FWIW I got my inspection done at Take 5 Oil change. They barely looked at anything, and certainly didn't look at the tires. My brake light only comes on when I use the front brake (I ALWAYS use the front brake so it's not a concern) When they are inputting the plate number, they just put "NO TAG" or something like that. I didn't have to really tell them anything special.

FWIW I got my inspection done at Take 5 Oil change. They barely looked at anything, and certainly didn't look at the tires. My brake light only comes on when I use the front brake (I ALWAYS use the front brake so it's not a concern) When they are inputting the plate number, they just put "NO TAG" or something like that. I didn't have to really tell them anything special.

Not too smart to "rat out" your inspector, which can possibly cause him to lose his license and potentially a fine. Also you could lose your "hook up" for easy inspections.

Not too smart to "rat out" your inspector, which can possibly cause him to lose his license and potentially a fine. Also you could lose your "hook up" for easy inspections.

Eh most places I've been to on a motorcycle have barely looked at anything. I've had a streetbike for 11 years and never had any place spend more than 5 minutes doing the inspection.'

FWIW my bike is 100% legal according to the law in TX. It does not say that the brake light must be illuminated when one or both brakes are applied, only that the vehicle has a functioning brake light.

I'm just sharing my experience. Most quick change oil places are not going to give you a hard time, but do make sure your bike does actually adhere to the letter of the law.

Back