• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

7 to 10 day ride

Hey guys! I was referred here by delbuort via ducati.ms. I'm up in Austin with a 14 Multi GT. Following this thread with much interest. This is something of a bucket list ride for me, right up there with glacier, and I'd love to get involved.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site! :wave:

Welcome aboard, Looking at leaving on the 28th of May (camping all the way) and returning on the 6th of June. I actually need a couple of days to recover before returning back to work.

Have you had a chance to look at the free campsites anymore? I've looked a little bit but most of the free campsites I keep coming up with on the site you sent me are all rest areas. Not sure we can pitch a tent there? (anyone know???? :huh:) I've got friends in CO, if needed, I can ask if we can use their back yard (or house...lol). They live in Aurora and I might know some people in CO Springs. In Utah, we can probably stay at my Grandpa's house in Panguitch. He has a big ranch with lots of space outside. The house is a little one bedroom, one bath ranch so we wouldn't fit inside, but the outside is nice and it's right beside Bryce Canyon (about 20 miles'ish).

I'm completely on board with the timeframe. Taking a few days to recoup when I get back will be a big deal. The early part of my 30s were rough...:pound:

You can camp in most of the national parks, I think. Timeframe is excellent. Lots of room to adjust. Setting up a good route outline should be solid, and we can shift as needed.

I haven't looked much at those free sites yet, last time I went on a long ride I stayed at KOA's just for the amenities Showers, but can go primitive with the right area.

I'd like to camp in the national forest at the Grand Canyon. We can take the fire roads to the rim of the canyon. All for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

picture.php

Just got back today. I'm off the next few days so I'll try to write something up. I've been trying to get the pictures over to my computer but it's being a butt.

Oh, and had a great time! Saw some amazing sites and got to ride some amazing roads.

I finally found a little time so I'm gonna try to do our trip justice with my write-up.

(Of course, this is from my perspective).

I took off early on Saturday morning headed towards Snyder, TX to meet up with Dutch.

IMG_3298_zpss8fwefue.jpg

When I left San Antonio the weather couldn't have been much more perfect. It was in the low 70s and slightly foggy. Not the type of foggy that gets you soaked, it was just enough to keep it cool. I turned north when I got to Junction, TX. Not much to really look at on the way but I did go through the wind farms. The shear size and number of the windmills is impressive. Definitely worth a picture.

IMG_3299_zpskipgqx3q.jpg

I finally met up with Dutch in Snyder and we headed onto Amarillo to meet up with Rsquared and tulstrom. They had gotten there a few hours earlier and gotten a spot at the KOA. This was my first time staying at a KOA and I must say, it was a nice change from finding a place in the woods. The showers were nice. We all loaded up the next morning and headed down to Palo Duro Canyon. At the time, I didn't even know what Palo Duro Canyon was. A friend told me about it. If you haven't been, I highly recommend it.

IMG_3304_zpsqclcbcuo.jpg

IMG_3316_zpsudctr82r.jpg

IMG_3322_zpscmzcfgec.jpg

From there, we headed north into New Mexico. We did run into a rain shower that dropped the temp down to about 55°. Luckily it didn't last too long and we dried off pretty quick as we rode towards Raton, NM. There wasn't a whole lot there but we did get a pic of the sign.

IMG_3330_zpsrbqjzgij.jpg

And then we went straight through to Colorado.

IMG_3333_zpsyue2wmxq.jpg

We stayed in Pueblo, CO for the night. Pretty cool, since we had a view of Pikes Peak in the background.

IMG_3334_zpsfiviyszh.jpg

Our first stop on Monday morning was Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. It was kinda busy that day since it was Memorial Day. But, we did a quick ride through just to see the sights before was headed to Pikes Peak.

IMG_3338_zps6xnnz3nf.jpg

IMG_3343_zpsf3nz8ood.jpg

IMG_3344_zpsdu6btd3r.jpg

Apparently people actually have to be told this:
IMG_3345_zpsawiuq4ah.jpg

We all had to change our gear a bit before we headed too far up Pikes Peak. Someone said it might be a little cold up there...hmmmm.

IMG_3349_zps6wyq7d1y.jpg

We almost made it to the top and found the road was closed. We stopped for about a half hour and waited with high hopes the road was going to open. It was somewhere in the 30s I guess but the windchill was probably around 20 or so. There was a storm coming in so we ended up turning around and heading down. We were only about a 1/2 mile away anyway. Besides, been there, done that (just not on a bike).

IMG_3350_zpsnuhgeodj.jpg

IMG_3354_zpsfenx4zn5.jpg

IMG_3359_zpsmb1p2qfk.jpg

Great road on the way up and the way down though. At least it wasn't icy or slick.

IMG_3368_zpsppxeobng.jpg

When we got to the bottom we stopped to eat at a little cafe. Great Philly sandwiches. It was right at the bottom of the mountain, right before you turn onto Pikes Peak Highway. Of course, it started to rain while we were in there.

IMG_3369_zpsczv0cyyc.jpg

We stopped to savor the view somewhere between Colorado Springs and Buena Vista, CO.

IMG_3371_zpsmnrovcqw.jpg

This was the view from the mountain as we were coming over the pass headed into Buena Vista.

IMG_3375_zpszmxdv53f.jpg

We turned onto HWY50 west on our way to Gunnison, CO (our destination for the night). Along the way, as we were headed over Monarch Pass, we came across an old abandoned mine. And, of course, we ran into a huge snowstorm. First time I've ever ridden in the snow like that. Unfortunately, we didn't stop for a picture of the snow (which was sticking to our visors by now) because we just wanted to get over the pass before the snow started to stick to the road.

IMG_3378_zpsbdyasfcf.jpg

Of course, it did get down into the 20 something degree range. It was interesting to have sheets of ice on the inside of my rainfly of my tent the next morning. Good thing I brought the heavy sleeping bag I guess. Great view the next morning though.

From there, we continued west on 50. The road between Gunnison and Montrose was probably one of the best riding roads in existence. It was amazing. A great mix of lower speed tight twisties and switchbacks combined with some really high speed long sweeping curves headed up, and down, the mountain with great camber. Honestly, I'd love to move there just so I could ride the roads every day. Definitely some amazing views on the way too.

IMG_3387_zps9pz6ieua.jpg

IMG_3393_zpsndmxocih.jpg

We stayed on 50 and headed north at Montrose to Grand Junction. That's where we lost Rsquared. He got a call from work and had to head back to Houston so he could fly out to California the next week. Sad to lose him there, but the trip carried on.

Out of Grand Junction we decided to head to Vernal, UT. We took HWY139 north towards Dinosaur, CO and got a massive surprise! HWY 139 was amazing! It starts off going through some canyons and then takes a turn to head over the mountain. The road wasn't in the greatest shape, but good enough. Lots of tight twists and turns with some scenic overlooks. The best part? No traffic, well...not much at least.

IMG_3399_zpscsn5yodm.jpg

I do what I want:
IMG_3402_zpsi1a580og.jpg

Still on 139:
IMG_3404_zpsa9san5my.jpg

Made it to the Utah line.
IMG_3408_zpsd7ldkfib.jpg

Camped out in Vernal, UT for the night and then continued north on HWY191.

IMG_3411_zps0ctbgukg.jpg

We decided to take a turn off onto 44w (or north, not sure) off of 191 which took us through the mountains to the west around Flaming Gorge. We found a road that spurred off of 44 called "The Geologic Loop". Since we hadn't been there, we decided to go ahead and take it. Great choice! Might have been the most amazing sights on the trip so far. Single lane road the whole way. It was tight and twisty but not much traffic. Took us down through some amazing canyon roads. Eventually turning into gravel and at the end...no road at all. They were working on it and had completely torn the 1/4 mile of road up. Great adventure though.

IMG_3417_zpsfztoecf7.jpg

IMG_3419_zpsc8o8nbkm.jpg

We were really close to the Wyoming boarder at this point. You know...there sure isn't much in SW Wyoming. Looks a lot like west Texas really. Had to get an obligatory picture though. Ended up with the sign, an old decrepit house, and snow fences.

image_zpsylfkrate.jpg

IMG_3428_zps9qu5aasg.jpg

IMG_3430_zpsmq4u1sy8.jpg

Did end up finding some amazing view up an old gravel road, at the top of a really big hill with lots of ruts. Again, just happened to see the road and take it.

Did I mention we didn't really have a plan on where we were going? We just kinda looked at a map and tried to set a goal for each day. No real agenda. Worked out quite well.

IMG_3431_zpsenpkosiz.jpg

IMG_3436_zpsmj6dmjqe.jpg

After that; into Idaho!

IMG_3446_zpsz4qq5c0r.jpg

Where we entered into bear country!

IMG_3447_zps9restidk.jpg

Camped you in Montpelier, UT for the night. Just more of a stopover than anything really. We just need to break up the miles before hitting up Jackson Hole, WY the next day.

IMG_3451_zpstsytkhnb.jpg

It really was a beautiful area though. Great campsite.

IMG_3452_zpsfcshc2fx.jpg

This was a neat little spectacle to come across.

IMG_3458_zps4ex1ivvw.jpg

Finally made it to Jackson, WY the next day and stopped for lunch. Great little town. Expensive, but really unique.

IMG_3463_zpstnlwuz6c.jpg

IMG_3464_zpsi1a9frky.jpg

IMG_3467_zpsooppbr6p.jpg

The Grand Tetons were our ultimate goal...we made it!

IMG_3480_zps5dknosou.jpg

The Tetons were magnificent! Pictures can't do them justice. They're massive. Most mountains I see, I want to climb. But, the Tetons look like they want to kill you.

IMG_3481_zpsme3ef0cz.jpg

IMG_3483_zpsnpomanwh.jpg

IMG_3485_zpsp056ltjx.jpg

IMG_3489_zpsk1qsfrmi.jpg

IMG_3490_zpsjb2s7oww.jpg

IMG_3494_zpsy765mief.jpg

IMG_3497_zps5mdrzk65.jpg

IMG_3500_zpsssydi2a3.jpg

This was on top of Signal Mountain on the edge of the Teton National Forest and Yellowstone.

IMG_3502_zpsk7jznm44.jpg

IMG_3504_zpsxdkumq93.jpg

IMG_3512_zps9ozbhfir.jpg

We did find a herd of elk out there.

IMG_3523_zpszlwhybym.jpg

And a herd of bison.

IMG_3524_zpsu9xvkcfk.jpg

Got back to Jackson late that afternoon and had dinner at the Snake River Grill. Ok, it's a bit expensive but it might actually be the most amazing food I've ever had. I had the bison tenderloins on a bed of seared romain lettuce with a peanut crusted mozzarella wedge with a house made sauce. Simply amazing!

IMG_3526_zpsmakaptsr.jpg

From there, the next morning we headed back south. tulstrom and I headed back down 191 into Vernal, hoping to make Steamboat Springs, CO for the night and Dutch headed east on I80 (he wanted to head home because of the all the storms here and his wife was alone). This was some of the scenery along 191 just before we crossed back into Utah.

IMG_3535_zpsh4o3ztg2.jpg

IMG_3537_zpsk1u71ttd.jpg

In Utah, we went through Flaming Gorge on the eastern side and came across the lake. They were letting water out of the jets. Apparently, it only happens once a year and we caught it just at that time. Simply amazing how much water was passing through there.

IMG_3538_zpsenb0hb1t.jpg

IMG_3539_zps8eb4nd9n.jpg

We turned onto 40E out of Vernal. They were repaving the road somewhere around the UT/CO border. We didn't get stuck for too long. That stretch of 40 is almost completely devoid of anything interesting. But, we did find people transported cows through there.

IMG_3541_zps6bn1mriu.jpg

We made it to Steamboat and the KOA there is in an amazing location. You've got Steamboat Ski Resort in the background with a river running right through the middle. The snowcaps were still melting so the river was up pretty high. It was even starting to flood part of the campgrounds. The river was beautiful though.

IMG_3544_zpsbew3j5tm.jpg

IMG_3549_zpsgqxrzvsw.jpg

After leaving Steamboat Springs, tulstrom and I parted ways. From there I was by myself. Alone and unafraid. He headed south to South Fork, CO to visit a friend and headed to Aurora to do the same. Did get some good pics coming over the pass at Steamboat though.

IMG_3552_zpslwph2wnu.jpg

I stayed on 40E and went through Winter Park. I had lots of time to kill so I found a dirt road a friend had told me about and took off toward the top of the mountain. Dirt all the way, with some snow and potholes, but an amazing view.

IMG_3559_zps3cqw5awu.jpg

From there, I headed south through the Arapaho National Forest and over the mountain just south of Winter Park. I still had a lot of time left before I could get to my friend's house so I went over the pass, turned around, came back, and did it again. The mountain roads were amazing!

IMG_3562_zpswifhnozd.jpg

IMG_3565_zps5dgr8t2q.jpg

IMG_3566_zpsieshitbb.jpg

IMG_3567_zps3bkl76i3.jpg

The next morning I headed back home. Took I70 east for a ways then hit up 40E/87S to 287S. I did find a neat picture in front of a VFW. Other than it, it was 943 miles absolutely nothing. Very depressing after being in such beautiful country for the last week.

IMG_3571_zpshb2dfslv.jpg

IMG_3572_zpsqtmacf4y.jpg

Oklahoma:
IMG_3574_zpsgst9vd2z.jpg

IMG_3575_zpsi1iyy8kh.jpg

Texas:
IMG_3577_zpsebjohfs2.jpg

Windshield after the trip:
IMG_2521_zpsse0lqhxs.jpg

So, it was an epic trip! Met some amazing people along the way. Saw some stuff that I had only seen in books before. For me, it totaled 10 days, over 14,000ft in elevation, 7 states, and 3,652.9 miles from my driveway back to my driveway. Can't wait for the next trip. Maybe the next one will be out east to the Smokey Mountains when the leaves change. We'll see.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXs_zrvloi8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXs_zrvloi8[/ame]

Another Video of us going through a gorge

Great pics and write up. How did the Ducati do? I had a 15 model, never made a long trip on it but felt like it would be a great bike to travel on. A bike I truly miss!

Great pics and write up. How did the Ducati do? I had a 15 model, never made a long trip on it but felt like it would be a great bike to travel on. A bike I truly miss!

The Ducati was incredible. I put some Perrelli Scorpion Trail IIs on there before we took off. It came with the Angel GTs and I loved them. I wanted something a little more trail oriented though. After we all split I managed to find a lot of dirt to take off on and got into some really funky rutted out uphill stuff (probably not the best thing I could have done by myself with 100lbs of gear I guess). The bike handled great off-road. On road, I set up the Skyhook suspension for two riders instead of one rider with luggage, simply because of the weight. Most of the time I couldn't even tell I had luggage on there. The extra weight, of course, made it a little less "flickable" but it was amazing through the twisties. I put an AirHawk 2 air cushion seat on it and it made a huge difference. I wouldn't have any other bike. It was amazing on the trip. Lots of power and the handling was phenomenal. Lets say I had no issues keeping up with anyone.

Why did you get rid of your '15? I know they had some fuel mapping issues in the beginning but I think they got all of that worked out. Beautiful bike too. If I were going to trade up my '14 it would be for a new Multi or maybe the new Endure version.

To me trailering my adventure bike defeats the purpose of the adventure.

The Harley rally at Sturgis being the classic and most well known exception.

For years now, it has been possible to rent the appropriate costumes at a trailer strategically placed outside of town, so one can do a quick change from polo shirts and khakis, and then ride in looking authentically 1%, all while sporting the painstakingly rehearsed scowl. When the show is over, turn in the garb and trailer back home to one's boring suburban life.

Hmm. I don't ride a Harley any longer but I can't think of anything worse than doing all that. With that said; I might reconsider trailering out of TX in the future...worst part of the trip by far. Right next to riding back into TX. Too hot, too flat.

The Ducati was incredible. I put some Perrelli Scorpion Trail IIs on there before we took off. It came with the Angel GTs and I loved them. I wanted something a little more trail oriented though. After we all split I managed to find a lot of dirt to take off on and got into some really funky rutted out uphill stuff (probably not the best thing I could have done by myself with 100lbs of gear I guess). The bike handled great off-road. On road, I set up the Skyhook suspension for two riders instead of one rider with luggage, simply because of the weight. Most of the time I couldn't even tell I had luggage on there. The extra weight, of course, made it a little less "flickable" but it was amazing through the twisties. I put an AirHawk 2 air cushion seat on it and it made a huge difference. I wouldn't have any other bike. It was amazing on the trip. Lots of power and the handling was phenomenal. Lets say I had no issues keeping up with anyone.

Why did you get rid of your '15? I know they had some fuel mapping issues in the beginning but I think they got all of that worked out. Beautiful bike too. If I were going to trade up my '14 it would be for a new Multi or maybe the new Endure version.

LOL, I change bikes like underwear it seems. There was no problem with the Ducati, I miss it. Only disappointment, there is no market for them in Houston, the Ducati/BMW( I wanted a GS), had like 20 something USED ones in stock. He couldn't take mine on trade. Maybe have another one, glad it worked well for you.

That has to be the sweetest motor and sound ever!

Back