• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Auxiliary Fuel Cell - a learning curve

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Phenix
The Bun Burner Gold has been taunting me. I knew I needed to increase the old 919's range in order to plan fuel stop intervals of 200 miles or so to give me a better chance. I encountered a few issues and I think I have them all ironed out. I mean, just how hard is it to get gasoline to run downhill anyway? :doh:

I took the rig on a little test run from Beaumont to Ft Hancock to grab an Angie burger and back again. Here's what I learned.
20160516_202031-L.jpg

The RCI model 2040A Fuel Cell I scored on ebay was cheap enough at $90 shipped. And I easily spent that much again on plumbing. The tank came with a cheesy plastic cap that leaked and would hang up when trying to remove it. RCI cheerfully gave me an upgrade. The built-in vent/rollover valve fitting protruded down into the tank and became submerged when I filled the tank and shot fuel out through the vent line onto the pavement. I could only carry 2 gallons in the aux tank.
20160315_173013%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Other issues included the bike's oem fuel cap had a vent/tip-over valve that was too sensitive and let no air escape, pressurized the tank and prevented gravity feed transfer. I had to leave the cap open for the gravity feed transfer to work. For ease of removal I ran the transfer line from the aux tank down close to the pegs and back up to the bulkhead fitting. It shouldn't have but it caused some restriction in the flow. Lastly, the quick connect fitting I chose proved to be another contributing impediment to fuel flow.

I proceeded to remove the tiny reed valve (behind the black plastic cover) in the cap. it was so sensitive it allowed the tank to hold enough pressure to prevent the gravity feed transfer. Now the cap vents both ways.
20160530_154134-L.jpg

I replaced the more restrictive marine quick connect fitting (left) with this 1/4" hydraulic hose coupler from Tractor Supply (right) which is rated for 3000psi and flows fuel much easier.
20160620_220915-L.jpg

I also rerouted the transfer line in a more direct path from tank to tank.
20160620_232703-L.jpg

I decided on this 45º billet aluminum filler & cap by Speedmaster. I'm very pleased with it. So much so, I couldn't bring myself to drill and tap it for an external vent line as I planned.
20160627_114943-L.jpg

So I did a little brainstorming. I wanted to give the vent as much altitude in the tank as possible but I didn't want it hanging off the filler neck as I have often seen. I decided to "tap into" the unused 8AN fitting in the bottom of the tank. Literally. I tapped the fitting to 1/8"NPT from the inside. Then I installed a 1/8" nipple and 1/4" compression fitting and ran 1/4" aluminum tubing up inside of the filler neck to the absolute highest point just below the cap.
Sorry, no flash pictures from inside the tank. :eek2:
20160620_230457-1-L.jpg

Here's the new hidden vent line in the filler neck.
20160627_124917-L.jpg

And here's the vent line (clear) as it exits the tank.
20160627_002252-L.jpg

So far so good. :rider: The whole project is documented here in my smugmug.
https://kphenix.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Auxillary-Fuel-Cell-/

Last edited:
I took the rig on a little test run from Beaumont to Ft Hancock to grab an Angie burger and back again.

Never tried a burger at Angie's, first visit I got a brisket burrito and it was amazing. Went back for breakfast in the morning and ordered the same thing. Next stop will order the same again even if not hungry.

A 919 is an interesting choice for touring and even more unique for IBA type rides. What is your total fuel capacity now and typical range? Have you done any changes to pegs, bars and seat?

_

Never tried a burger at Angie's, first visit I got a brisket burrito and it was amazing. Went back for breakfast in the morning and ordered the same thing. Next stop will order the same again even if not hungry.

A 919 is an interesting choice for touring and even more unique for IBA type rides. What is your total fuel capacity now and typical range? Have you done any changes to pegs, bars and seat?
Yes, I'm on a squeaky tight budget and the 919 rates highly in the most motorcycle for the dollar category. And then I rode one and it was all over. I paid a meager $3,300 for mine in 2012 when it had only 8k on the clock. This bike has seen 27 states and both left and right coasts. I began mods to emulate the 1050 Tiger or Multistrada but my riding style kept gravitating toward distance riding. Suspension and ergonomic mods are extensive. http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66262
The 919's tank specs at 5.2 gallons and the 4 gallon fuel cell actually holds 3.6. The bike gets 40mpg on a good day but substantially less at 75mph in a headwind. I wanted the ability to comfortably plan fuel stops at 200 mile intervals.

Never tried a burger at Angie's, first visit I got a brisket burrito and it was amazing. Went back for breakfast in the morning and ordered the same thing. Next stop will order the same again even if not hungry. ...

Like the Burrito Grande at the little convenience store next to my favorite hangout in WF - when it's perfect why chance something else?

... A 919 is an interesting choice for touring and even more unique for IBA type rides. What is your total fuel capacity now and typical range? Have you done any changes to pegs, bars and seat?

_

It certainly is an interesting choice. I have a nekkidized Superhawk and wouldn't even think to use it as a long-distance steed, though it'd be perfectly happy to run at highly illegal speed all day, and night, and day, and . . . .

Semi-On-Topic: I have a lovely molded Aux Tank, complete with insulating cover, mounting brackets, all necessary fittings and a Facet transfer pump that I bought years ago (ADVRider FM, of course) with thoughts of mounting it on either the Street Rod or the Brick and doing a X-Country with as few stops as possible, but I now think it belongs on the R100RT and a bit slower, less-back-achy ride would be better, like maybe the 4-5Kmi loop I have planned for August.

most semi modern bikes have the tank vent running down a internal line to a hose that vents down behind the engine. you connect the out from the aux tank to this vent line and as fuel is drawn from the main tank fuel from the aux tank takes its place.

there is a company that makes a aux tank for dual sports and that is how it plumbs into the system.

On my ST1100 the aux tank drains to a fitting on the bottom of main tank . Vent line from top of aux tank goes to top of main tank . Since both tanks are on the same level it's gravity feed and my fuel gauge is accurate . It's has worked with no issues for over 200,000 miles on two ST1100's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good info Dave.

shouldn't that IBA number say IBR? isn't that one of the reserved numbers?

Good info Dave.

shouldn't that IBA number say IBR? isn't that one of the reserved numbers?

IBA Iron Butt Association reserved the first 1000 numbers for folks who completed the IBR Iron Butt Rally. I received my 3 digit number after completing the 1999 rally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IBA Iron Butt Association reserved the first 1000 numbers for folks who completed the IBR Iron Butt Rally. I received my 3 digit number after completing the 1999 rally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is what I thought, belated congratulations :clap:

Whish I knew you were in town. 40 miles further and you could of had Chicos Tacos just saying. I ride to Houston for BBQ. Good luck on the fuel cell and your ride.

Whish I knew you were in town. 40 miles further and you could of had Chicos Tacos just saying. I ride to Houston for BBQ. Good luck on the fuel cell and your ride.

Ok Pedro, Chicos Tacos is on the list. So many great eateries, so little time. ;-)

most semi modern bikes have the tank vent running down a internal line to a hose that vents down behind the engine. you connect the out from the aux tank to this vent line and as fuel is drawn from the main tank fuel from the aux tank takes its place.

there is a company that makes a aux tank for dual sports and that is how it plumbs into the system.
Yeah a buddy of mine did that on his B-King and he had to have a pump on his transfer line and modify the cap to vent straight out. I did consider something like that.

The 919's vent line is a tiny 3/16" and routes up into the cap where there's a little tip-over valve. I did have to remove the flapper in the tip-over valve but I didn't want the cap venting right under my nose or fuss with an electric pump. Average gravity feed transfer time with a 3/8" line is 15 to 20 minutes.

I think I understand why folks use the vent line like that though. It was really hard to make myself cut that 3/4" hole in a perfectly good gas tank but I got over it and I'm glad I did. :trust:

Last edited:
Back