• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where is everyone?

Reaction score
Went for a short ride this morning, about 120 miles or so.
No bikes in Granbury.

No bikes in Bluff Dale
No bikes at Loco Coyote
No Bikes in Stephenville.
No bikes at the Toad

Such a beautiful day. 17 when I left, 22 when I got back.
Nothing beats a sunny Sunday morning ride :rider:

You cray, man

Well............yeah but I had a plan.

Have not ridden the two bikes I now own in cold weather, so I wanted to see if the heated clothing I had would work with the air flow patterns on these bikes.

V-Strom, lasted about 10 miles. A 10 gigawatt capacitor enhancement wouldn't have pumped enough juice to survive the temps.

Valkyrie Interstate, put about 120 miles on it, last 5 were no fun at all.

Problems I found, which is what I intended the ride to do, were airflow between fairing and radiator pods ( overcame this with neoprene knee wraps )
and airflow on the footsies. The F6 engines have great heat emitting pipes under the heads, but foot control location won't let me take advantage of that.
Toes just hang out in the polar jet stream.
Also noted that airflow over the fairing goes directly onto the fingers and in temps like this it just overpowers the heated gloves.

So know I know what has to be done to the Honda to make it winter worthy.
The Strom just needs warmer temps.

Guess for a cold weather bike I need to pick up a used Goldwing, or...................gulp, another beemer. Darn German machines manage airflow like nothing else I've ever ridden.

Wasn't bad commuting in on the K1600 this morning. Lowest I saw was 21 degrees. Heated gear on mid. Heated seat and grips on 3 of 5. Helps that I only went 10 miles. :duck: But I rode. :clap:

Rode to get donuts for the family Sunday morning. Today I rode to get a haircut, then pick up some stuff for Christmas dinner. Being one Family Medical Leave Act (haha it blurbed out ***A) with a newborn means I take whatever time on two wheels I can get.

I did see one bike today. He was further up ahead and it looked like a BMW or KTM type adventure bike.

I learned good gear makes a good difference, along with layers. I was pretty warm, and was probably more affected not by the cold, but by how annoyingly bulky I felt.

Attachments

• 20161218_094634_1482203297342_resized.jpg
    20161218_094634_1482203297342_resized.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 139
  • 20161219_133647_1482203295201_resized.jpg
    20161219_133647_1482203295201_resized.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I'm here

Rode yesterday. Excellent day to be out on the VTX.
Even though Low to mid 30's. The bright sun shine and lack of
wind made for a very enjoyable errands run.
No real need for more than a light jacket, warm sweater and
some long johns under the jeans.

Been a decent year ...

2016_Buck_02.jpg

One tag remaining.

I only get to ride one or two days a month. I ride whatever the conditions. Still have TW wheels with studded tires if the opportunity presents itself.

Maybe this year Deals Gap will get a blizzard (rare, but it happens). I've stomped the Dragon in sunshine and under the stars, dry and in the rain. Only challenge left to conquer is ice and snow. Hence, studded tires for the TW. My dispatcher understands. I'm a lucky guy.

Oh, and right now I'm parked behind a consignee in Concord NC for 33 hours waiting for employees to show up and unload this trailer.

Been working on trails for the trials bike and riding them.

Got a 8 point buck thursday morning, and did not go hunting. He only took out the passenger side glass rack.

20161222_064538_zpsc4vbtse5.jpg

Ouch .. bad time of the year to be driving at dawn or dusk. With this weather, anything in between is dangerous as well.

Glad you are OK ...

Norton John and I had a Roscoe at Big Cup and then 100 miles of county roads this afternoon.

Nothing to see a half dozen dead deer per mile along some stretches of road through NW Tennessee and W Kentucky, and the carcasses are picked up on a regular basis to avoid even more collisions with scavengers. Think of all the coyotes, vultures, opossums, and dogs that could be saved. I see cages all the time flipped or up on a guardrail from trying to avoid a deer or scavanger. Would be nice if the deer hunters were more effective at population management.

Did Oklahoma 144 from Antlers to just south of Big Cedar at hiway 259 Christmas evening, In a manual transmission jeep, in the dark and in the fog.
It was so much fun I have to go back on the bike and hit that route again.
The map doesn't accurately depict all those great curves.

Saw this Sportster at Raising Canes this morning. My Co-worker ride his new Road Glide in today. I'll ride tomorrow since it'll be dry. I have to admit, and he heated seats in the truck this morning sure were nice!

Attachments

• 2017-01-06 15.24.08.jpg
    2017-01-06 15.24.08.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 171
I rode in this morning. It was a back and forth of opening the visor and freezing off my face then closing it to warm things up and fog up the visor.

Back