• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2 stroke greatness!

I will miss the smell of blue smoke and oil burning in the morning :mrgreen:

Something I still don't understand is they've had FI 2 stroke marine engines for years. Why is it taking so long for it to be applied to motorcycles?

Something I still don't understand is they've had FI 2 stroke marine engines for years. Why is it taking so long for it to be applied to motorcycles?

2T dirt bikes engines aren't run like marine engines. So it has taken this long, I suspect, to get them to run like a carbed bike in an off-road situations. Or it's expensive and they were being cautious waiting to make sure the two stroke market was strong enough to unveil it. :rider:

I love 2T's. I sold my GasGas EC250 last year and I miss it. I was planning to replace it with a KTM or Sherco 250 single track bike once we got settled here in TX then my back issues reared their ugly head.

I miss my 2 strokes. Just the smell of the oil burn give me, well, excitement. I wonder how hard it would be to plate? I also wonder what the rebuild times will be? but oh the glory of it.....

I miss my 2 strokes. Just the smell of the oil burn give me, well, excitement. I wonder how hard it would be to plate? I also wonder what the rebuild times will be? but oh the glory of it.....

Cycle Shack regularly gets the current model plated all the time. Easiest when you buy new and let them do the paperwork through a clerk that is familiar with it.

Woodsguy,
Speaking of new bikes, give us a review sometime of how that new Honda four stroke is. Sure looks like a nice bike.

...Easiest when you buy new and let them do the paperwork through a clerk that is familiar with it.

Or buy out of state and processed through a clerk that is UNfamiliar with it. My 200EXC with Arizona "ATV" title (AZ nomenclature for OHV only) got turned into a street legal TX title at the tax office.

_

:sun:The three best bouquets in the world are:
#1 Patchouli perfume on a woman
#2 Castrol R from a 2 stroke
#3 Plumeria blossoms while driving down the road
Thanks to KTM and Evinrude for keeping 2 stroke alive!!!
I always hated it when 4 strokes were given 2x cc to race.
My first KTM is a 1973 Penton 175 Jackpiner, which I still have.
A 250, all out race bike, state of the art technology, maybe street legal...
sign me up.
Never, ever sell your toys. RH

I grabbed this a couple weeks ago even though at 60 I'm not sure I can stay on it anymore, 03 RM250 all stock with the original graphics, it does need some TLC in the carb area which it will get soon, 08 was the last year for this scooter.
My%20RM250_zpsuahscqsl.jpg

have you priced a outboard motor lately? they are crazy expensive and as already been said, it is a totally different way they run.
even at a light slow cruise a outboard is at a higher throttle setting than a dirt bike will ever see so fuel and lube flow is higher at the lean ratios they have to run to get them cleaner.

at 80-1 ratio I don't expect the ktm will last very long between over hauls, but if you look at what they consider to be perfectly normal or long life, KTM does not care about them lasting very long.

at 80-1 ratio I don't expect the ktm will last very long between over hauls, but if you look at what they consider to be perfectly normal or long life, KTM does not care about them lasting very long.

KTM 2 strokes have been 60:1 ratio for a decade and they have extremely long top end life. So 50-60:1 is okay for WOT but 80-100:1 is too lean for idling or lugging? Remember this is not 70's era Jap CCI this is computer controlled on the fly variable mixing. Couple that with EFI and both controlled by rpm, coolant temp, mph, air temp, etc. feeding both systems I anticipate these new bikes even lasting longer. We'll see though, too early to predict. But whatever happens it will be changes to correct it not abandonment.

_

Curious, are those outboard motors able to also automatically adjust for changes in altitude? I know I know, they aren't exactly climbing, but if I had a boat in Houston that I took to the beach and wanted to run it in a lake in Colorado, would it automatically adjust like the bike does?

Curious, are those outboard motors able to also automatically adjust for changes in altitude? I know I know, they aren't exactly climbing, but if I had a boat in Houston that I took to the beach and wanted to run it in a lake in Colorado, would it automatically adjust like the bike does?

had a 100hp mercury 4 cylinder 2 stroke and it had variable oil ratio and it would vary from 50-1 to 100-1. it also grenaded crank bearings due to lack of oil.
it got oil mixed in the gas on top of the automated system after that and ran in the neighborhood of 25 to50-1 after that and was much happier and never fouled a plug.

KTM 2 strokes have been 60:1 ratio for a decade and they have extremely long top end life. So 50-60:1 is okay for WOT but 80-100:1 is too lean for idling or lugging? Remember this is not 70's era Jap CCI this is computer controlled on the fly variable mixing. Couple that with EFI and both controlled by rpm, coolant temp, mph, air temp, etc. feeding both systems I anticipate these new bikes even lasting longer. We'll see though, too early to predict. But whatever happens it will be changes to correct it not abandonment.

_

according to KTM you are required under their maintenance schedule to replace the piston every 20 operating hours, 10 hours under hard operating conditions.
every 40 hours you have to pull the engine and tear it down and replace the rod, rod bearing and crank pin.
that is no where remotely near long life.
my little Honda CRF250L is good for 8000 miles between oil changes and it spends a great deal of its time over 8000rpm, thats a long life engine!

my little Honda CRF250L is good for 8000 miles between oil changes and it spends a great deal of its time over 8000rpm, thats a long life engine!

Apples to Oranges. Honda could quadruple that (or more) and KTM riders would still pick the Orange bike simply for the Grin factor...

I like the CRF250L motor. I think I could live with the low output in return for the reliability. But I could not put up with a 250cc motorcycle that weighs more than my XR650R. :thpt:

according to KTM you are required under their maintenance schedule to replace the piston every 20 operating hours, 10 hours under hard operating conditions.
every 40 hours you have to pull the engine and tear it down and replace the rod, rod bearing and crank pin.
that is no where remotely near long life.
LOL this is a 2 stroke thread so comparing long life for a performance off road bike versus a detuned 4 stroke dual sport is a joke. Inverse joke would be comparing the performance of the two.

Don't know where you pulled those intervals from but not realistic even if spec'd by KTM and not adhered to by anyone short of pro racers.

_

LOL this is a 2 stroke thread so comparing long life for a performance off road bike versus a detuned 4 stroke dual sport is a joke. Inverse joke would be comparing the performance of the two.

Don't know where you pulled those intervals from but not realistic even if spec'd by KTM and not adhered to by anyone short of pro racers.

_

I agree, maybe for a pro racer but those hours aren't even close to real life.

manufacturers suggested maintenance intervals, I don't follow it either, 8000 miles on two quarts of oil that have been subjected to the level of abuse I put it to? no thank you! I change it way before what they call for.

as for the CRF250L power output, well they screwed up there, I have spent a pretty penny uncorking mine.
Honda realised their mistake and they uncorked it for 2017, they run much better now.
they also build a mini AT version now.
it goes everywhere DRZ400's go and even have powered mine through deep mud that stuck the drz big time.

Woodsguy,
Speaking of new bikes, give us a review sometime of how that new Honda four stroke is. Sure looks like a nice bike.

Sorry, just saw this. I LIKE it! It is heavier but only feel it moving it around or loading, not sure why it gained so much weight. I've got 4-5 rides on it now, the bike works very well. I think stock suspension is better than the 450 KTM I had with the air fork. Power is a little abrupt even in mildest setting(only one I've tried:giveup:). But I've got use to it, very seldom have a flameout. On most trails it's a hoot, really tight trails it's little clumsy between the weight, making sure you don't stall, and biggest drawback to it, the weaker clutch. But i've gotten fairly comfortable on it. Pretty good first effort.

Bottom line, I still have the 300 and only race since I bought the RX I still took the 300, but when I go riding I grab the RX, it's just fun to ride!

Last edited:
Back