• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bike Stolen in Amarillo at Hotel

I've got a heavy duty bolt cutter that I use for fence work that will go through pretty good cable in nothing flat. Don't rely on just a cable as this kind of thief probably has one too. If 4 guys jump out of a pickup, it's a business for them, not an opportunity.

Correlation is not causation. Unless you can prove a relationship, this line of rhetoric is not productive.

Sincerely,
An immigrant who does not steal motorcycles.

aok.gif

Correlation is not causation. Unless you can prove a relationship, this line of rhetoric is not productive.

Sincerely,

Wasn't given to be productive, just informational.
Sincerely,
NOT a recent immigrant.

Sincerely,

Apparently, there is no correlation either. Overall crime is down in Amarillo, although Amarillo was never crime free as most other cities.

After looking at the stats methinks the secret may be to simply Iron Butt through the whole area.

I got 3 layers, gorilla alarm, disk lock, and the most secure device...a v Strom 650. (Haha, knee slap, rim shot)

Last edited:
Amarillo is a **** hole. Never stop there if you can avoid it.

Best of luck finding the bike.

I've got a buddy that literally leaves his keys in his Goldwing overnight and it never gets touched. (think that's pretty stupid...but the point being that nobody steals a Goldwing)

In 2012, on a trip up to MT, WY, ID, etc, the tumblers in my Goldwing lock/ignition messed up. I was finally able to get the key back in, but I was afraid to pull it back out again. So for about the next week it would be covered at any hotel I was staying at, but the key was in the ignition for anyone that wanted it.

No issues at all.

After looking at the stats methinks the secret may be to simply Iron Butt through the whole area.

Luckily from the DFW area, it is pretty easy to pass through Amarillo and get to Raton or Trinidad without much fuss. I usually make Amarillo a late lunch stop with a quick chicken sandwich and then keep pressing on.

Except for one time where we made it from Silverton all the way back to Amarillo and stayed in the Camelot Inn. You all know that sleezy castle shaped hotel, we actually stayed there. It was terrible..... cheap.... but terrible.

What about the disc lock with the audible alarm? I have one and it works great, set it and anyone wiggles the bars, it lets off a very loud siren.

I have always found Amarillo a bit shady, even in College I would avoid it when traveling from Oklahoma City to Denver. My buddy and I stayed at the Ritz in Amarillo (I don't believe it is open anymore) on our trip to ... somewhere? The desk attendant gave us the key to the room. When I opened the door, there was a woman sitting on the bed, nursing a baby. I closed the door immediately. We returned to the front desk and the guy said, "oh dang, she's still there, she was supposed to check out yesterday" and gave us another room. Apparently, they didn't do much when another guest checks out.

We still laugh about that. One of the more seedy places we have stayed, and believe me, we have stayed in some very seedy places. Fortunately, she didn't steal one of our bikes. We make it a point to stay in smaller towns now when traveling that direction.

Sorry about the bad luck, hopefully they at least make an attempt to catch these bastages. I wonder if they even know just how bad of a reputation Amarillo has?

I always ask the desk clerk if I could park in the lobby. No takers, yet, but I ask.

That's why I quietly do this whenever possible:

https://scontent-dfw5-1.cdninstagra...33_1520838838005371_1270206195193348096_n.jpg

Correlation is not causation, but it's sometimes an important first step in finding causation. Immigration affects crime. However, the actual research shows that it's not the act of immigration alone that causes increased crime, but the multicultural environment it sometimes creates, as pointed out in the Bell-Fasani study and several others. History has repeatedly shown that people who are vastly very different from one another culturally cannot live together. It's a sad fact of human nature, to the tune of about a 70-percent increase in violent crime in some areas.

But there are also other social dynamics at play. For instance, in many immigrant communities, people are much less likely to call the police when dangerous or adverse situations arise. There is also the problem of "self-policing", especially in some muslim communities, which becomes inherently violent on its own.

All that aside, I think the problem in Amarillo may basically come down to the fact that bike thieves know tons of motorcycles can be found in motel and hotel parking lots along the old Route 66 during the summer months. They case certain low-security areas over and over until an easy opportunity to nab a bike arises, then strike quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Luckily from the DFW area, it is pretty easy to pass through Amarillo and get to Raton or Trinidad without much fuss. I usually make Amarillo a late lunch stop with a quick chicken sandwich and then keep pressing on.

Yes, we used to make the run all the way to Colorado Springs on three day weekends from Fort Worth in the 80s. Not sure I'm so resilient now, but these days I'd ride from DFW to at leasts Raton before I'd stop.

What about the disc lock with the audible alarm? I have one and it works great, set it and anyone wiggles the bars, it lets off a very loud siren.

Which one do you have? Mine is about eight years old. I may need to change brands.

Correlation is not causation, but it's sometimes an important first step in finding causation. Immigration affects crime. However, the actual research shows that it's not the act of immigration alone that causes increased crime, but the multicultural environment it sometimes creates, as pointed out in the Bell-Fasani study and several others. History has repeatedly shown that people who are vastly very different from one another culturally cannot live together.

If correlation is the issue and the crime rate in Amarillo is going down, then...

Also, if you're referring to the Bell Fasani Machin study from 2013, they were looking at the effects of the available labor market on two waves of immigrants, not crime due to a multicultural environment. They drew no direct conclusions about multiculturalism. If there is another study link it please. Otherwise we may want to avoid suggesting a study to support an idea that was not the author's intent or design.

If correlation is the issue and the crime rate in Amarillo is going down, then...

You apparently missed the entire point of what I said, and completely skipped the final paragraph.

Also, if you're referring to the Bell Fasani Machin study from 2013, they were looking at the effects of the available labor market on two waves of immigrants, not crime due to a multicultural environment. They drew no direct conclusions about multiculturalism. If there is another study link it please. Otherwise we may want to avoid suggesting a study to support an idea that was not the author's intent or design.

While the 2013 study was overtly biased, it still could not deny or cover over the fact that property crimes and the like increased. It also based its assertion that violent crime didn't rise on watered down data such as arrest rates, etc., which don't ultimately count for much. In the end, it in some ways became a tool for showing some of the problems with multiculturalism. That was my point, which I should've stated more clearly.

As for citing other research, Google it, my friend. Start with communal violence in the UK, Turkish self-imposed seclusion in Germany, clashes between French police and North African sets, and on and on and on. Lastly, take a look at modern American identity politics, which is an interesting cultural war all its own.

My first line of defense is a bike cover. My second line of defense is a heavy duty chain and lock, through a wheel or frame, to a stationary object. My third line of defense is I ride a KLR. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've stayed in literally hundreds of motels over the years; my take is to avoid staying in larger towns or cities and get away from the interstates. I look for motels that have parking directly outside the room, which many times are older, cheaper motels. Those often have kind of restrictive parking lot traffic flows, and many times cars must enter and exit by passing by the office. A hotel/motel on the frontage road of a city with interior room entrances is the last place I'll consider, although sometimes one can park outside the window of your room, which helps, IMO. A thief wouldn't know this, but I have no qualms about summarily shooting such a person.

Except for one time where we made it from Silverton all the way back to Amarillo and stayed in the Camelot Inn. You all know that sleezy castle shaped hotel, we actually stayed there. It was terrible..... cheap.... but terrible.

Sadly, my 67 y/o bones & bottom come up a few miles short of the 550 mile mark. That's why I tend to stay over in Dumas when westbound, and Amarillo eastbound.

I know the Camelot Inn well, but never stayed there. For years, we stayed just across the street in the Coachlight Inn. But it's gotten so trashy looking that we've moved onto better quality low class digs.

We had pretty good success for several years with TraveLodge West on Paramount, but they've recently changed hands, and their ratings have crashed. I've used the Fifth Season Inn 3 times in the past 2 years, an old buy-out from another chain that's been half heartedly refurbished. Prices are usually very low, rooms are reasonably good if worn looking, and it's a very large property - meaning you can get a room that's a good 250 yards away from I-40.

Back