• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sold - 2003 Completely Farkled & IBR-Proven Yamaha FJR1300 -- Priced to sell $4900

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Sawatsky
Sold - 2003 Completely Farkled & IBR-Proven Yamaha FJR1300 -- Priced to sell $4900

**** SOLD ****

Pics of my farkling adventures with the FJR here: http://kevinsawatsky.com/FJR.html

Price drop to $4500

We've enjoyed lots of miles (101k on the bike and counting) but 2003 was the fastest year FJR model and this one is mechanically solid and has been carefully maintained. This bike has been all over the country (73k+ miles in two years) and has never failed me even once and in fact has never needed anything other than regular fluid changes, tires and careful inspections. I do NOT like to be stranded…

2003FJR.jpg

I bought this bike (in mid-2011 with 28k miles on her) for two very specific events – the 48 Plus (49 states, 10 days, 10,962 miles) and the 2013 Iron Butt Rally (11 days, 11,000 miles). I have added everything I felt I needed to make this the perfect road bike for travel and particularly those two bucket list events. With those two personal goals achieved, I will be moving back to a larger touring bike (mainly for better 2-up duty), but in my mind the FJR is the perfect LD rider and rally platform, an opinion validated by this and recent years’ IBR and other rally entrants and results.

I truly cannot think of anything that a long distance rider would add. I would be happy to forward her detailed maintenance and farkle install log upon request. That said, although there are ZERO mechanical issues, she is NOT a garage queen. There are minor scratches and a few places where the plastics have minor cracks, although she has NEVER been down or in any form of accident. I’d be happy to discuss or send pictures of those few minor items. None are in any way an impediment to performance, or really noticeable without closer inspection.

This bike is simply ready to ride anywhere you choose, particularly if you are serious about being competitive in an upcoming rally. For the right price and expenses (and schedule allowing) I would be happy to deliver her anywhere in the country. She remains capable of being ridden any distance and for many miles to come.

FJRCockpit.jpg

Major Farkles:
  • Coyote Gear 10x14 aux fuel cell (4.2 gallon) on IBR-approved solid aluminum mount
  • MCCruise Electronic Cruise Control
  • PC III Power Commander
  • OEM Top Case & Mount
  • VStream Windshield (installed)
  • Wild Bill highway foot peg Mounts with Kuryakyn Clevis/1" Extension Highway Pegs
  • N/Line shelf with RAM Mounts on shelf (3)
  • Corbin Leather 2-Piece Seat
  • Big Mak Tank Bag & Mount (bag never touches tank)
  • Baker Air Wings (both upper and lower)

Upgraded lighting:
  • Gaurald’s Aux Light (Mirror) Mounts
  • 2200 lumen LED driving lights with ADV Monster dimmer (fob/full on with brights)
  • ADV Monster Fork Lights (1500 lumens)
  • Aerostich flashing LED brake lights (like Hyperlights)
  • Additional brake light bar above license plate

Added Electronics:
  • PDM60 (solid state, programmable) Power Distribution Module
  • J&M 2003 CB with Goldwing connection
  • AmpliRider with remote volume control (feeds GPS’s to CB input)
  • Orange M202 TPMS (programmable tire pressure & temperature) monitor with extra replacement sensor
  • Marine 12V power outlets (2) in dash
  • Garmin 2610 Power Cable (hardwired to shelf)
  • Garmin 665 mount (hard wired to shelf)
  • Battery tender SAE connector
  • Warm-N-Safe Dual Heat Troller
  • Digital Voltage/Ambient Temperature Gauges

And Includes:
  • T-Rex (no cut) Frame Sliders
  • Kuryakyn ISO Grips (black) with ISO Grip Bar Ends (black)
  • RAM Mount (2-ball) on Brake pod
  • Real Time Industries Pannier Reflective Decals
  • Alaska Leather Sheepskin Covers (front is worn, rear almost new)
  • Cee Bailey Headlight Protectors
  • N/Line Battery Lugs

Extra items: (included in sale)
  • Full OEM cover (w/ cool top case “pop-up”)
  • Nelson Rigg Half-Cover
  • OEM Windshield (finish wearing)
  • Cee Bailey Reverse Flip Windshield
  • Bestem Pannier Removable Luggage (2 x pannier)
  • Hydration System (2 x 1 Gallon mounted to foot pegs)
  • Pilot Power – Rear (used 2388 miles)
  • Pilot Road 3 'B' – Rear (8046 miles)
  • Pilot Road 3 – Front (used ~70%)
  • Pilot Road 3 – Front (used ~70%)
  • 2 Complete sets of Valve Shims (never needed as bike has always been in spec)

Major Maintenance & Upgraded Items:
  • New (<1000 miles) Michelin Pilot Road 2 front tire
  • Michelin Pilot Exalto rear car tire
  • Rear Caliper Brace (for car tire install)
  • Replaced Cam Chain Tensioner
  • PAIR system removed (but included), replaced with WYN block off plates
  • Rear Shock replaced ( from a Gen II (2009) with 21k miles)
  • Front Caliper (2) and Clutch Speedbleeders

Priced separately (for sale with FJR, but NOT included in price)
  • Garmin 2610 (updated and lifetime maps) GPS with accessories -- $200
  • Garmin Zumo 665 (updated and lifetime maps) with accessories -- $600
  • Linda T Tank Bra w/ Panniers & Rally Book -- $200 (nearly new, used only for IBR)

kevin@sawatsky.org
(903) 624-1474 (call or text)

Last edited:
Re: 2003 Completely Farkled & IBR-Proven Yamaha FJR1300 -- Priced to sell $4900

Nice.... Ready to Rock n' roll. GLWS

Ok... $4500 with a donation to TWT...

... for a 140hp toured with electronic cruise, excellent lighting and about every possible item you'd ever think to add for comfortable commuting all the way to competitive rallying!

OK... Last call...

This weekend I will start removing farkles and posting them for sale... Sort of sad to do that, but after a fly/ride to San Diego last weekend I have her replacement in the garage and it's getting a little tight in there for the SO's liking...

Before I go to all that work, I'd listen to offers...

The bike is sold...

Back