• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hi from Pax in Spring, TX

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Paxson
Hi from Pax in Spring, TX...

I am a newbie and have had my license for 2 weeks... I ride a black 2006 Honda VTX 1300 Retro... So far 350 miles after 13 days... I have so much more riding to do... I learned to ride 3 weekends ago with the Awesome Cycles riding course... Now if I can learn to do those figure 8's on my new bike (it was easy on a Suzuki 250)... :rofl:

Kevin

:welcome: to the site, Kevin. And to the addiction. Do you like pie? This group likes to eat and ride. We hope you'll join us at a pie run so that we can meet you in person. The next one is in Brenham at the end of this month.

Ride safe!

Hmmm... A pie run... Kewl... Sounds interesting... A pie and motorcycle riding addiction ??? What a combo...

:tab Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the site! Keep in mind that the MSF really only covers the very basics. I would avoid groups rides until you have a few thousand miles under your belt. It will happen faster than you think. But you will be much more comfortable on a group ride if you have more experience. Keep practicing those skills, especially panic stops and swerving! Find a good mentor with experience and that can be a great way to learn.

:welcome: to the site from a fellow newbie. I agree, what a combo: :rider: and :eat: .

Ride safe.

Kevin, welcome aboard!

I'll 2nd the notion of avoiding riding with groups till you get some miles under your belt. Its real easy to want to keep up with the group and get in over your head. I've got nearly 18k in 2yrs under my belt and group rides still make me nervous.

take the time and go ride around by yourself. take it easy and enjoy the views and the road. after you've got a couple thousand miles under the belt then find a ride and get the intended route and go at your own pace. if the ride starts getting to where you're uncomfortable, let them go and meet them at the end. I'd much rather be considered "slow" and make it there in one piece vs being "fast" and winding up in a ditch or worse and ER/morg.

Please don't take this as saying that you should stay away from groups of riders. just refrain from riding with them till your more experienced.
I would highly recommend going to the meet and greets and talk with the folks that have a bazillion miles under their belts. there's many a tip to be had from those folks just by listening.

again, welcome to the addiction and keep the rubber side down! :rider: :eat:

+1 on the group ride issue.

Yes, please wait until you feel very comfortable with your skills and have significant experience on the road before joining a group ride. I have 11,000+ miles on my BV200 since Jan. of '05 and didn't start riding with groups until May of this year (at about 8,000 miles). It's important to feel that you can respond confidently to any situation that may arise, particularly with the added factor of a group. Always, no matter what, ride at a pace and under conditions at which you are comfortable. It's far better to finish a ride alone or park the bike and call a friend or taxi than take the risk of riding when you are not comfortable with the conditions, your physical health, or your state of mind.

My husband had two crashes this summer and is just now getting back into riding. He has wisely stated while adjusting to his new bike that it will be the end of this year at the earliest before he will even consider getting back into group rides.

Back