• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Colorado 2014 - Buena Vista & Creede

Price correction, the fellow that actually paid the bill said it was $10 for the storage. Never thought about leaving the truck/trailer at a trailer park. :scratch: The storage area was nice because it was under lock & Key for the most part. However, I will have to remember the trailer park idea - thanks! :sun:

Summerlan RV Park on the east side of Raton. I called them back in April. The lady told me, "Oh yeah, people from Texas drop their trailers here all the time. We have about 40 acres of storage." I asked how much - she said "about a dollar a day." Yeah, me too - don't know why it took me this many years to think of that solution. Duh!

I gotta add my compliments - an excellent ride report and superb photos!

Since I live way down in the Rio Grande Valley, I've thought of a long ride all the way from the headwaters of the river near Creede, down through New Mexico, then through Texas along sides the river (or at least as you can get to the river on paved roads - I'm not a dual sport kinda guy) to its mouth near Brownsville. You've pushed me closer to that idea - especially with those great photos.

I'll be in that general area in two weeks. After touring the Dakotas and two Canadian prairie provinces, I'll ride to the Denver area to spend a few days with my brother, then follow the spine of the mountains through Taos, NM, on to Angel Fire and then take the high road into Santa Fe.

Oh yeah - you're right. The wi-fi at Raton's Mickey D's never works.

I gotta add my compliments - an excellent ride report and superb photos!

Since I live way down in the Rio Grande Valley, I've thought of a long ride all the way from the headwaters of the river near Creede, down through New Mexico, then through Texas along sides the river (or at least as you can get to the river on paved roads - I'm not a dual sport kinda guy) to its mouth near Brownsville. You've pushed me closer to that idea - especially with those great photos.

I'll be in that general area in two weeks. After touring the Dakotas and two Canadian prairie provinces, I'll ride to the Denver area to spend a few days with my brother, then follow the spine of the mountains through Taos, NM, on to Angel Fire and then take the high road into Santa Fe.

Oh yeah - you're right. The wi-fi at Raton's Mickey D's never works.

If you need any help on a New Mexico/Colorado route post a thread and we will give you a bunch of ideas,or just check out other posts of that ride.

If you need any help on a New Mexico/Colorado route post a thread and we will give you a bunch of ideas,or just check out other posts of that ride.

Thanx - but I used to live in New Mexico - know the northern mountains well.

But - there ARE some very cool rides listed here - I'll be using one of them in the south as I leave Ruidoso.

Very much enjoyed the report Tim.

High winds are bad enough but add in a passing or even passing a semi truck and it ratchets up the pucker factor. :eek2:

Very much enjoyed the report Tim.

High winds are bad enough but add in a passing or even passing a semi truck and it ratchets up the pucker factor. :eek2:

Yeah, passing the big trucks would sometimes cause a very sudden wind direction change - slam to one side, then slam back the other way as I cleared the truck. Not to mention that the handlebars sometimes get the shakes as the wind and the truck's slipstream battle it out.

And........, we will be expecting equally good pictures and write-up from you Hotboot.

Great stuff. Thanks for taking time to share.

Great writeup. Reading this is as close as I'll get to riding in Colorado this year so I appreciate the opportunity to live vicariously through your good times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^This^^^^Me to thanks Tim!:clap: Not looking good for any long bike trips this year.:miffed: Maybe a short vacation with the better half but not enough time to get very far.

Nice pics, but I wouldn't have expected anything else. You make me envious.

Wow, just found this awesome report! Have wasted about 10 years with stupid life's "stuff" and this has inspired me to get back to CO and other spots. Thanks. :thumb:

6 years late, but I'm glad you found the report. I enjoyed browsing back through it, myself. Oddly, the picture at the end with my loaded red VStrom sitting on the patio? That was actually the last time I ever rode that bike. Three days later, I made a deal for a newer, '12 Wee, which I'm still riding. L'il Red got sold to a buddy of mine; as far as I know, he still has it.

Thanks. I wish I had the same color on my '12. Black/black is kinda dull.

Back