• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FJ-09??? Yamaha's possible 3-cylinder Touring

They fit but look HUGE and do weird things to the aero on the -09.

Probably not any more than any other bike...

I would imagine you would have to increase the preload to offset extra sag from the rear suspension etc. Exceeding 100 MPH fully with loaded side-cases may not work very well.

RB

Looks weird as the exhaust is down low and tucked in. What they do at 90 mph is not pleasant, I went with the fj hard bags and the bikes balance was still affected negatively.
This is one motorcycle that needs upgraded suspension immediately.

I still dig mine

Looks weird as the exhaust is down low and tucked in. What they do at 90 mph is not pleasant, I went with the fj hard bags and the bikes balance was still affected negatively.
This is one motorcycle that needs upgraded suspension immediately.

I still dig mine

The OEM suspension reaches it's limit very quickly if a rider is more than 175 lbs. on an FZ09. An emulsion Penske rear unit is around $650. GP Suspension for the front is not too bad also.

RB

I purchased a new 2015 FJ-09 six months ago and have put more than 10,000 miles on it. It's a great bike. It does many things well, some very well, and there are a few common complaints. It is toward the sport end of the sport touring continuum but has proven its sport touring cred to me.

The engine is a blast. I'm a triple fan and really enjoyed my Street Triple R, but an almost unsolvable engine problem convinced me that I needed to get back to Japanese reliability. Handling is neutral and predictable with quick turn-ins. Three riding modes, ABS, and traction control are great to have as standard. There is loads of torque down low with a long, linear power band. The engine is not glassy smooth at the lowest RPMs but no worse than my GS500, SV650, or the Street Triple.

I spend time at FJ-09.org and the things owners complain about most are the seat, windshield, and suspension. There are lots of aftermarket options for these and virtually all other areas of the bike. The bike is a little tall; I'm 5'8" and cannot flat foot both sides. Backing the bike up an incline is a challenge but other than that I don't really notice.

IMO commuting and touring will best expose a bike's flaws. I ride 20 miles each way to work most days when I'm home, and covered 5700 miles over 13 days in July and the FJ-09 has met all challenges. It is built to a price point and components are not top of the line everywhere. This is not built for track days but some riders are doing that and having fun.

I want to own only one bike at a time and this one ticks all of the boxes for me. Among other things I have added accessory LEDs, shorty levers, side cases, mirror extensions, slightly softer seat foam, Kriega luggage for the tail, and front fender extender. OEM heated grips are on order. I may upgrade the exhaust though this is low priority. The stock windshield works for me. I recently replaced the stock tires with Pilot Road 4s which are a noticeable improvement.

If your priorities do not include plush touring comfort or superb performance on the track I believe you'll like the FJ-09.

Last edited:
10K in 6 months, very nice. That engine will make you overlook some niggles, with a few modifications it can be an absolute hoot. I miss that motor, traded mine for something with better high speed satability and I needed a slightly larger platform. While almost double the entry the R1200RS has everything I was going to add to the FJ in a factory package and a chassis I can chase friends around Arkansas with.
I did 8000 miles on mine, enjoyed most of them. Your review is spot on, I always thought it the perfect urban assault and under 80 mph commuting bike.

Enjoy.

Anyone try Hill Country ADV tracks on one of these? I know the tires are 17" and figure NOT:doh:. but gotta ask

Yeah I doubt anyone would be in a rush to go out and catch their oil pan or oil filter on an exposed ledge or rock, lol

Re: FJ-09 Is on the Yamaha website, $10,400 and release date in December

I think there's a few skid plates out there for it.

I've got the new bike bug again and have been browsing dealer websites and Craigslist for a FJ09

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there's a few skid plates out there for it.

Bingo.

http://higdonion.com/products/fj09-fz09-xsr900-trail-cage

OUNFMzEwM0Y1OUM2NTJBMEY5NDI6NzA3ZmNkNDQ5ZWZlYjNkYTVlN2FhYjk4N2M4YTQyYjc6Ojo6OjA=

It's no Tenere, but with a skid, some 705's, barkbusters, etc - I think it'd do as well as any of the other pseudo-ADV bikes. I haven't had a chance to get mine off pavement much yet, but I don't anticipate having any issues when I do.

trey

Last edited:

Bingo.

http://higdonion.com/products/fj09-fz09-xsr900-trail-cage

OUNFMzEwM0Y1OUM2NTJBMEY5NDI6NzA3ZmNkNDQ5ZWZlYjNkYTVlN2FhYjk4N2M4YTQyYjc6Ojo6OjA=

It's no Tenere, but with a skid, some 705's, barkbusters, etc - I think it'd do as well as any of the other pseudo-ADV bikes. I haven't had a chance to get mine off pavement much yet, but I don't anticipate having any issues when I do.

trey

Nice. Looks a lot beefier than the original one. Two questions:
1. Can you lift the bike with an ATV lift under this skid plate without damaging it?
2. Does it in anyway interfere with oil changes (you have the '15 oil pan, right)?

IMG_1985.jpg
Oh, yeah. It can be done. The "Endurostrada" bombed down River Road and other BBNP off-road goodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. Looks a lot beefier than the original one. Two questions:
1. Can you lift the bike with an ATV lift under this skid plate without damaging it?
2. Does it in anyway interfere with oil changes (you have the '15 oil pan, right)?

Good questions, but I don't have mine yet :doh: Should be shipping by 04/01 ish.... Higdonion just wrapped up a group buy that I got in on.

1. From what I understand, it's very stout. I would expect to be able to lift w/ an ATV jack, but I can't confirm 100%.

2. Yes. Apparently you can access the drain bolt (I think there's an access hole), but experience says that you'll end up making a mess.... Best to remove two of the skid bolts, loosen two others and swing it down, out of the way. Every time I tried to short cut it with my WRR with a Ricochet skid I ended up making a mess and taking more time playing clean up.

I've got the first gen, suicidal oil pan, yep. With the fin ground down and the low profile Mazda drain bolt I haven't had any issues. That said, before grinding when riding two-up, a normal speed bump would drag the fin :giveup: Hence, buying a skid plate seemed a smart move :rider:

trey

I've got the Original Higonion cage/skid plate on my 2015 FJ-09, unfortunately added after I punched the drain plug up thru the oil pan. I can't speak for the new design, but the original has a decent sized hole in the skid plate that is lined up with the drain plug. You'll still make a mess when you remove the filter. If you've changed out the oil pan, the plug doesn't line up with the hole anymore. I've only changed the oil once since I put the skid plate on and have not figured out the least messy way yet.

I hadn't even considered trying to lift the bike under the skid plate. When I changed the front tire, I just put the bike on the center stand and put 6 bricks in the top case and that was enough to pull the rear down.

Back