• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Back on Two Wheels!

Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Last Name
Brogden
I drove to the city of my birth (Ft Worth) yesterday to look at a 1985 Honda VF700 Sabre. It's in very good mechanical shape, starts and runs like a champ. Needs a bit of maintenance (fork seals, center stand) and lots of cosmetic tender care.

I'll get roadworthy and then begin making it look better.

Attachments

• Sabre 700.jpg
    Sabre 700.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 399
Cool! I love Honda V4's. Welcome back to two wheels.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to riding this beast in the SE Oklahoma hills.

Sweet ride. I remember looking at these little jewels when I was younger and wanting to know what it was like to ride one. Ride on brother, she looks sweet!

Those were cool bikes. Enjoy. Didn't you move to Oklahoma for a ministry opportunity? Hope all is going well for you there.

Thanks, people! I hope to get several years of enjoyment out of this old Honda. I have a center stand, fork seals, and saddlebags on order. Side covers, when you can fund them, are OUTRAGEOUS! Might do something unique.

Tim - you are right. I moved up here to serve as pastor of a small Baptist church. We met and agreed on a few important things and were off to the races. But the deacons decided they would rather hear stories that affirmed what they believed than hear preaching that challenged them to go to the Word and see. So after 4 weeks, they ran me off.

While sitting around stewing about that, and not knowing what to do with my desire to preach and teach, my wife suggested I write a book. This is the result: Captive to the Word of God.

Your wife is a wise woman. I'll download your book and get it into my reading queue. I've started and stopped a few books over the years. I have written a few lengthy essays - among others, one on baptism, one on what Ecclesiastes teaches us about what's really important - that I may develop into a book one of these days.

Your wife is a wise woman. I'll download your book and get it into my reading queue. I've started and stopped a few books over the years. I have written a few lengthy essays - among others, one on baptism, one on what Ecclesiastes teaches us about what's really important - that I may develop into a book one of these days.

She is a wonderful help-meet for me! We recently observed our 39th wedding anniversary and our children are bringing their children for a visit in a couple of weeks!

Many thanks reading my book. I pray it builds up the saints and glorifies the Lord. I would appreciate any comments you would be willing to leave on the Amazon page.

Will do; probably well into the fall. Right now, I'm working on a 6-week teaching series right now on choosing Christian lifestyle priorities, and I doubt much outside reading will get done until that class is completed in October. Congrats on #39. My wife and I just hit #40 in June. Even more exciting than that, this Friday is her 12th anniversary as a kidney transplant survivor; to us, that's actually the more significant anniversary.

Praise God for His tender care of you and your wife! The marvels of medical science, as wonderful as they are, pale in light of His mercies.

Fork seals, center stand, Clymer's, and saddlebags en-route.

That looks like a nice bike, enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stewart, glad you find a new ride, but I did not recall you selling the BMW.
Enjoy cleaning / fixing the Honda.

The BMW broke down on me twice in 12 months - gear box related both times. Left me stranded 90 miles from home in June. So I put it up for sale on Craigslist and it was gone same day. I sold it for too little.

Fork seals are the only vital issue on the Honda. it sure sounds nice and with 22k miles on it should be good-to-go longed than I am ;-)

Rode the Sabre to work this morning - 20 miles, mostly highway. The beast is smooth and powerful! Looking forward to the fork seals arriving when I will tune up the front end; will check out the rear shock in the few days.

Installed home-made saddlebag racks (a small round bar connecting rear footpeg to rear fender subframe) to keep the Coleman bags from dropping towards the wheel and fabricated some side covers to hide the ugly open spaces.

Attachments

• IMG-20170827-00035.jpg
    IMG-20170827-00035.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 339
I must say, replacing fork seals on this bike is a LOT more work than doing this job on my old BMW. But gotter dun and have a new-to-me speedometer on the way. Noodling a luggage rack - buy one and modify or build one?

The more I dig into this bike, the more I want to shake the fella I bought it from. When I pulled the fuel tank off, to check the air filter and run the wiring harness for the new instrument cluster, I found out there is NO AIR FILTER! While I haven't put many miles on this bike, I wonder how many the previous owner put on it without a filter. :angryfire

Sorry to hear that, that's just low, I'd blow a gasket if I found something like that.

I'm not at all happy about the air filter. For the money I paid, I ain't griping about rusted bolts and the like. But no air filter?

Air filter and turn signals came in, are installed. New instrument cluster installed - a couple burned out indicator bulbs, it appears. Gear indicator and coolant meter work! Good rear shock installed. Quarter fairing (Rifle brand) due here Thursday. Pix soon thereafter.

New cluster has burned out bulbs? Is it a new used cluster?

Back