• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend roads...

jsb223

Reaction score
First Name
jsb223
I know to check with the Rangers about existing road conditions in
the NP but generally how would you rank the unpaved roads in the
park from easiest to hardest.

I assume Old Maverick Road is the easiest as I've done that one on
the GS and it was like a 14 mile long Texas gravel driveway.

And Black Gap is generally considered the most difficult.

But I know nothing about the others.

I'm thinking about trucking the DRZ down to the park and spend
a few days acquainting myself with the unpaved roads in the area.

I do ride alone so I err on the side of caution.

It depends on what is more difficult for the rider, sand (River Road) or rocks (Old Ore). I haven't found Big Bend National Park that difficult for either.

The big risk in Big Bend is the remoteness of the place. Before I took any road alone I would discuss it with the rangers to see how often they use the road in case I break down. Then I'd prepare for spending a night or two out there. I don't say this lightly, but as somebody who once found themselves with an injured friend in a remote part of the park. It's very unforgiving of small mistakes.

Meriden is correct here. I have a SPOT tracker which gives me some peace of mind when traveling alone.

I agree with Meriden--nothing is really hard or technical in the National Park if you have a common sense approach. Alone is not the best choice, but not necessarily a deal breaker if you are prepared for basic self-rescue activities if necessary.

All the dirt roads are remote. Old Ore is most scenic North to South and not really harder one way or the other. The original obstacle that gave Black Gap its name has long been artificially worked over by humans so that most any stock four wheel drive could easily pass. Truly a non-event. Black Gap is harder ridden from the south because of a long, rocky washed out climb up to the gap. Still not very hard depending on ability. Easily climbed on a big Adventure bike if you know how to ride one.

River Road in the park is easy with a few silt sections that good riders won't blink through. That being said, I have ridden other riders bikes through there that were too tired to do it because they had picked up their bikes repeatedly and were exhausted. Again, ability changes perspective.

Most of the other spur roads are also easy. As has been said, it is the remote location that is the multiplier when something goes down outside of your plan. This is mitigated by riding with at least one other person or solid planning and common sense. I have ridden all through the National Park by myself with no issues.

Have fun. It is a great area to explore and easy to do so.

I bought the Hill Country Ride Guide but not the BBNP guide.

And yes the SPOT will going as well.

I have been on most all the roads on the South end riding Solo. Because of the remoteness mentioned here just ride solo conservatively. Especially Black Gap. You will probably run into other bikers in the back country and you can leap frog with them just so you know some one WIll be coming behind you. I did Black two times solo, then in March I went to Uncles around the bend and rode the course way faster than I should have been. On black gap I took a simple low speed fall and broke my rib and punctured a lung. I had lots of help at the time so I knew someone would be by soon ( I was riding it too hard). Spent 3 days in big bend regional medical center (Alpine Tx) I was transported there by a super nice Park Ranger named Mark Ryan. I arrived at the hospital abt 7 hours after my accident. ( I had lots of help coming ). I noticed M. Ryan using multiple radio frequencies in his patrol truck. They have repeaters and can talk to any other patrol agencies out there including the hospital. If you see one of these guys stop them and ask if they have a ability to use simple public use freqs from your little store bought walkie talkies. You probably won't have cell service. If the NP Rangers have a radio freq the Border Patrol will too and you will see a lot more of them than Rangers.
Bottom line is I WILL do it again solo any time. I'll just wear some protective armour and work out some sort of com if I go black gap alone because it can be very unforgiving. That place is so awesome I went back two times within a month of my first ride and still have not seen it all :mrgreen:
Not meant to scare you at all....just take every precaution you can manage.
A great trip guaranteed !

Fresh from Black Gap a week ago. Ed29 and I took my jeep down it.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rroKnGy_-ho"]Black Gap Down The Hill - YouTube[/ame]

Lot slower in the Jeep that I ride it on my bike but also, a lot more time to sight see. :-P

I've heard rumors that Park Rangers patrol the unpaved roads everyday; I don't know if this is true or not. If it is true, then the worst case scenario is that you sit there and wait for help. The unpaved roads are not really that remote. Even if you have to hike out to a main road, I think the worst case is 20 miles. A normal healthy person can walk 3 mph, btw.

But I would be the most worry about the heat and water. Bring an umbrella for shade. Bring lots of water (like a gallon or two). Bring food also. Because your cell phone won't work.

Last edited:
Drove every road in the park last, didn't see one ranger. Out of all the times I have been on those roads, dozens, I think I have only seen one ranger on River Road West and one border patrol on River Road East, parked near the asphalt.

Last edited:
Fresh from Black Gap a week ago. Ed29 and I took my jeep down it.

Black Gap Down The Hill - YouTube

Lot slower in the Jeep that I ride it on my bike but also, a lot more time to sight see. :-P

Reminds me of the story where the German, I think, tourist rolled his rental car on Black Gap. Probably been 10 years or more ago, maybe longer.

I have a Jeep TJ that would do that but I can't hang with all the rough bounces especially after being spoiled with riding motorcycles through there. So much easier, but I admit it is cool to go at a slow pace in a Jeep sometimes because you see more stuff.

Yeah, did the hill and the step both directions that day and still got to do Ole Ore in the same day. Wasn't one bit tired after I dropped Ed off that evening either. :mrgreen:

Yeah, did the hill and the step both directions that day and still got to do Ole Ore in the same day. Wasn't one bit tired after I dropped Ed off that evening either. :mrgreen:

I liked the topic of conversation--making sure your beer didn't get too shook up and wondering how to transport it better. :clap:

Be aware that rain changes everything on the park roads. I was there last spring, it rained pretty hard the first night and River Rd was impassable due to washouts and deep mud. It was fine a day later, the park staff got after the roads with fozers and graders and two days after the rain everything was back to normal.

Back