• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DROOL.... New BMW 800 GS is here!/New F800GS/F800GS (Merged)

Buyer is from Oklahoma. He bought the first two in Austin...a matching pair for him and his wife. Gary said there are 17 deposits and expects it will take until May to get all the bikes and/or get down to the last person with a deposit.

Shouldn't there be some sort of excise tax for taking the bike out of Texas? To Oklahoma of all places.... :doh:

Texas availability

I put a deposit on one in Boerne (outside of San Antonio) at Alamo BMW. I did this Thursday and was #5 on the list!!! They are thinking late October or early November. Can't friggin' wait!

Lone Star in Austin is talking April/May..

I went to Lonestar today and sat on both a F800GS and F650GS (twin). They are quite similar. The engines are identical except for whatever they did to detune the 650. Other differences were minor. The 650 had cast wheels with 19/17 wheels, the 800 had 21/17. The turn signals were mounted in a different location on the 650 and it didn't have the skidplate. It also didn't have a centerstand, though it had the mounting points for one. This may or may not have been because it was the "lower frame".

The low frame was too short for me, and the 800 frame was almost too high at 34". I was still able to flatfoot it, because of the narrowness in the seat near the front, but did not like the feel of the seats.

Re: Texas availability

I put a deposit on one in Boerne (outside of San Antonio) at Alamo BMW. I did this Thursday and was #5 on the list!!! They are thinking late October or early November. Can't friggin' wait!

Lone Star in Austin is talking April/May..

According to one of the owners, they have presold 18 of the 800's at Lonestar. I can see why they are telling people April or May.

Re: Texas availability

According to one of the owners, they have presold 18 of the 800's at Lonestar. I can see why they are telling people April or May.

Just a quick note and update to this thread:

We have one on our dock right now that's going to Lone Star BMW. I have a couple of pics of it in the crate but they're on my work computer.

VERY sweet looking bike if I were in the market to drop $10k on a bike. :)

I was at Wild West last night and one of the sales guy said they had presold everything and I think that he said 8 and that if I wanted one I should just get on the list. When I went out to get my bike from service, they had one inside the cage. Looked VERY nice.

On another note, they had a R1200S and F800S on the floor that looked REALLY nice.

If my company I.T. folks weren't anal, I'd be able to get to a picture hosting site and post a couple pictures but I'll have to do it from home.

The only thing purtier than a new bike in it's crate is a new bike sitting in my garage. :)

bmw2bu9.jpg

bmwae7.jpg

Best I could do under the circumstances. :)

I saw one yesterday at LSBMW on the floor, fully assembled. Looked good, but I didn't sit on it since it had a SOLD sign on it. My only impression is that it would be too lightweight for my only bike. I like larger frames and more spread out ergos.

The colors look good. I love the up side down fork.

The radiator seems expossed when dropped. Does it has any protection or it is only a plastic shround?

I actually got to sit on one of the ones at Lonestar a couple of weeks back. They had two, a F800 and a F650. I couldn't tell any difference between the two, other than small cosmetic differences. The low frame F650GS model was too low. I didn't sit on the F800GS because it had a sold sticker, but looked like it would fit better.

The radiator seems expossed when dropped. Does it has any protection or it is only a plastic shround?

I think the guy in the ADVrider trip report said it does not. I think he broke the radiator off and it hung by the hoses for a few miles.

I once slammed my KLR's radiator into a pine tree when I fell over in a rut. It broke loose, but did not break off. A trip to Home Depot fixed it.

Thank you for the photos BexarWolf! I would like to see a close-up of how they arranged the delicate naughty bits in the front of the engine.

When the V-Strom first appeared at my local dealer, I was genuinely angry when I saw how they designed the stump-jumping part behind the front wheel. I had waited for a year to see a Strom in person. For a year they had marketed it as soft-road capable. They lied.

....Thank you for the photos BexarWolf! I would like to see a close-up of how they arranged the delicate naughty bits in the front of the engine......

I wish I'd had time to take more pictures of it. It was good fortune and good timing that I got these. The box had been ripped open by a curious thief (long story) who apparently decided it was too much trouble to get off the trailer and went for all the flat-panel LCD/HD TV's instead. The cartage agent arrived within 2 hours of it being unloaded and carted it off to LSBMW. :(

They had one on the floor at Wild West Saturday. They said it was available, something about the deal falling through. Although, it didn't have a sticker on it so I'm not real sure what the status is. BMWbabe and I both sat on it and looked it over very carefully. My overall impression is that it is a very well designed and built machine. Things seem a lot more accessible on this bike than on the previous model F650 GS, which we own. The radiator does have a flimsy plastic cover on it, but I'm sure Touratech has an aluminum version in the works already. Even so, the radiator is up high and the front fender should deflect most rocks and stuff. It feels like a great machine just sitting on it, and I think I'd like it. I like the fact that it's nearly 100 lbs lighter than the 1200, but still has 85 ponies. It was really cool to finally see one up close! :mrgreen:

397969201_XCMV4-L.jpg

I sat on one at motogp in Indy and was very impressed. It feels right. The big thing is going to be how the 85 ponies work out. Mainly if it feels as good as the press release says it should......

I road a super tenere and was really impressed other than the lack of power. That and the cash would be all that stops me for now. Though they will start showing up used in a couple years.:trust:

I sat on the one at Indy, too. Very nice machine. First BMW that's ever really appealed to me.

Back