• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Matt "STrider" Simpson - Cypress

Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Simpson
Hey, I did it in fewer posts than pdef--

My motohistory is spread all over, but here's the (not so) quick & easy edition-

33 years old, Geologist, CSU Fresno
I'm somewhere in here
ridin' about 10 years, with a couple breaks
Bike History-
1. 1971 Yamaha DT1. Split the $100 (well used) purchase price between me & my dad in about 1983. Minimal compression, minimal speed, maximum weight. Rode with ugly brown metallic 3/4 helmet, jeans, hiking boots, & whatever else mom could tape onto me. maximum fun. Folks sold it before I could get a street license. Beginning of the addiction.
2. Fast Forward to 1993. About 10 years since I last rode the DT1. Now in the Navy, on my own, no parental "not under my roof" rules. Purchase Brand Spankin New Suzuki Bandit 600. "HOLY C#$P!!" this thing is FAST!!" Loved that bike, stolen 1996.
3. 1999. Purchase Brand Spankin New Triumph Legend. Man, I loved that bike. Good classic looks, and quick enough to be fun. Stolen 2001.
4. 2002. Purchase 1997 XR600R. Great dirt bike, indestructible, many California desert trips, sold 2004.
5. 2003. Brand Spankin New Triumph Sprint ST. - Move to Texas from California - (dont hate me because I don't say "y'all") Possibly the greatest production bike ever. Perfect combination of tourability, sport, and utility. By far, a better bike than I am qualified for. I love this bike. Understated and refined, and tightly garage kept. Current mount.
1018arkansas161ya.jpg

6. 2006 Purchase strikingly clean & stock XR650R
xr650r3yo.jpg

Total mileage to date: about 50k. (Riding miles accumulate slowly post-marriage & kids)

Next Bike-
What day of the week is it?.....

Someday Bikes-
Road King, V-Rod Street Rod
V-Max, Yamaha Warrior, 1993 Yamaha GTS
RC-51 Hayden Replica
BSA Lightning/ Norton Commando/ Vincent Shadow
CR500AF/ 1986 CR500 (Good enough for Rick Johnson is good enough for me)
Ducati 888, MH900E
Bimota Tesi
KLR 650

Dream Rides:
Copper Canyon
Baja Peninsula
Yucatan Peninsula
Alaska
TWT Colorado

And-

02 Daughter
04 Son
Inaugural Pie Run Participant.
member, Premier Houston Area Ride Team
member, TWT

Last edited:
BrutusTx said:
Seem like there are lot's of us that don't say "ya'll" yet. I transplanted in 2002 from Ca as well.
I say it, but then again I moved here from Modesto 14 years ago so I've been assimilated into the fold. :-)

Man, all these transplanted Californians... :roll:
Seems like a lot of thefts. Did you grow up in Fresno or nearby?

1975 Wife- Runs Good, but occasionally hard to start.
My '51 model is sometimes hard to shut off...

10 years in Sacramento, 5 years in Hawaii, 16 years in San Diego, and I end up in Houston.
I must be doing something wrong.

Ahhhhhh, Vincent Black Shadow, and Ducati 888. I like those.

I have a buddy in Atlanta with an 888. He says it handles like nothing else.

I have an affection for the Sprint ST as well. I may end up with one sometime. I just kinda wish they made a VFR that offered similar traits.

Vaughn

STrider said:
Hey, I did it in fewer posts than pdef--

That's not saying much...

STrider said:
1975 Wife- Runs Good, but occasionally hard to start.
01 Daughter
04 Son
Inaugural Pie Run Participant.
member, Premier Houston Area Ride Team
member, TWT

What on earth is the "premier Houston Area Ride Team" ? Is that like saying "I ride around the block when my wife lets me" ? :mrgreen:

Squeaky said:
What on earth is the "premier Houston Area Ride Team" ?

Check the acronym. Membership strictly limited to whomever shows up.

S.T. Rider vs STrider: yes

Gilk51 said:
Man, all these transplanted Californians...
Seems like a lot of thefts. Did you grow up in Fresno or nearby?

It is a lot of thefts, hence the "tightly garage kept". Spent about 10 years in Fresno area, starting with 4 years Navy, 4 years CSU Fresno, 2 years work. Travelled all over CA, as far south as Tijuana, North to Point Reyes, West to Needles, Barstow, Mojave, Long Valley. Also lotsa time in Yosemite & Mother Lode country.

Never pictured you as the superstitious type, Matt. ;-)

STrider said:
Woohoo!! Post # 955!!

Hated to waste a post of such numerical significance on something silly....

DORK!
forum-dork.jpg

Back