• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tony "Hemibee" Massey -- Conroe, Tx.

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Massey
Joined earlier today and thought I'd post a picture of my scooter. My oldest son is getting ready to take it down to our dirt drag strip for a test run.
f5050695.jpg

I'll try to post a link to the entire album as soon as I can find the link.

Guess I could have said it is a 2004 KTM 450 EXC RFS

I'm going to have to try something else. I can't get a link to the photos without giving full access to my account. Not a whole lot of photos of this bike, most of them are my oldest and his bike. **Note to self, get him taking more pictures**

STrider said:
How young did you start the boys? I have a little one who can flat-foot a CRF/PW/JR50. She is excited to start, (as am I) but I don't want to start her too early.

Can she ride a bicycle? Make sure they get the balance/steering figured out first, then they can handle a motor. I actually used the motorcycle as a motivator in learning the bike. My daughter was 10 when I got interested in riding, and I let her try a small dirt bike. Once she wanted it I told her she needed to learn her bicycle better. Didn't take long for her to get good on the mountain bike.

I've got a now 7 year old nephew who was starting to learn at 5. He didn't really get into it until he was 6.

STrider said:
How young did you start the boys? I have a little one who can flat-foot a CRF/PW/JR50. She is excited to start, (as am I) but I don't want to start her too early.

The youngest was 6 and was getting a late start. To train a non-bicycle riding youngster go to E-Z RIDE and look at his products. My youngest didn't have an area to learn to ride a bicycle so we bought the training wheels for the KTM Sr. Adventure and I think after about a total of 1.5 hours he requested (demanded) the training wheels be taken off. Right now we are learning throttle control which is coming along great. Wish I could have started both of them at 4 or 5 years old but didn't get back on two wheels while they were at that age.

The most important thing you need sounds like you already have it. She has the desire to do it. The only way you can start one too early is to force it on them. If they have the desire they are old enough. I know that will rub some people the wrong way but I've seen kids a little younger than 4 (3 1/2 or so) riding as good or better than some older ones.

She's just 3. I worry that my excitement for her to do it, and her desire to be like daddy (no accounting for taste) may account for what seems like an otherwise good idea. She is ok on a bicycle, but needs training wheels, which would obviously be present on whichever mo-bike she gets. I am leaning toward CRF50, just so she can match big daddy's (yet to be realized) XR. Thanks for the input guys, it means a lot coming from folks who have done it.

Thought I would add some updated photos of ALL three of us this time.
Tony-Alex-Kyle-2.jpg

Kyle or is that the Bumble Bee
The_Bumble_Bee.jpg

Back