• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Reaction score
I am just trying to get started in dual sport riding and hopefully bring in my daughter also. I don't yet have a bike but have focused on the Suzuki dr650. About the time I find one it sells a day or 2 before I can get to it. Any suggestions on search engines for locating a bike? I have alerts from CL, FB and a few others. Or perhaps you can steer me in a different direction. I really am looking forward to riding soon.

Not sure about search engines, but are you watching ADVRiders? I would imagine DRs are pretty common on that site. By the way, welcome to TWT.

Keep your eyes open, and perhaps widen your search by a bike (XR560L - but I'm biased) or two (DRZ ?). And yes, have the cash in a little pile waiting for the right ride to appear. Good machines are snatched up fast...

Welcome aboard. Hope to see ya'll at a Pie Run at some point...

Welcome to the site! :wave:

Bring your family and come to the weekly Montgomery area bike night (tonight at 7:00pm),
http://twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15873

I usually bring my circus. I try to ride when possible but often end up in the car/truck with everyone else :shrug:

Keep your eyes open, and perhaps widen your search by a bike (XR560L - but I'm biased) or two (DRZ ?). And yes, have the cash in a little pile waiting for the right ride to appear. Good machines are snatched up fast...

Welcome aboard. Hope to see ya'll at a Pie Run at some point...

Is an XR560L a sleeved down XR650L?? :doh: Had to have a dig!! :clap:

Drodgers, welcome to the mad house, hope you find a bike and get your daughter involved. Both my daughters started riding when they where 7 and the eldest stopped when she turned 15, but the youngest is 18 and still loves riding dirt!! I am lucky enough that my wife also rides road & dirt so its a real family affair and a lot of fun.

Gary

Last edited:
I am just trying to get started in dual sport riding and hopefully bring in my daughter also. I don't yet have a bike but have focused on the Suzuki dr650. About the time I find one it sells a day or 2 before I can get to it. Any suggestions on search engines for locating a bike? I have alerts from CL, FB and a few others. Or perhaps you can steer me in a different direction. I really am looking forward to riding soon.
if you get a DR, ask if the NSU was modified. On 2013 and newer the countershaft oil seal has the retainer installed from the factory. Also check for the upper chain roller and remove it.
The DR is a tuff old ***,mine gets beat on pretty heavily. Kinda like the Timex watch. "Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin." google, "List of DR650 for sale"
welcome to the site.

Thanks all. I finally just got a DR650 yesterday. will start riding today hopefully. I was also wondering about the "560" I got a little confused for a minute but, that normal for me.

Do you know if the NSU screws have been adressed??? That's the big issue to watch put for with the mighty DR. Other than that, you will WANT to: get a gel seat, larger tank, up grade front and rear springs, and depending on your height, bar risers and/or foot peg lowererers. There's more, but that's a start.

Congrats on the DR

Have you and fam made it to a Montgomery bike night yet? Great way to meet some excellent folks. If the Friday (Tourmeister’s) clan is there, be great for your daughter. How old is she?

Welcome to TWT!

I haven't made it to bike night yet. Thursdays at Phils? My daughter who wants to ride will be graduating college this spring. Yep, more money in my pocket.

NSU has not yet been addressed but, it is on the next oil change list along with complete clutch inspection.

We used to do Phil's every now and then, but haven't been in some time. Not real sure why :shrug: You can always suggest it though :thumb:

I guess I missed Viffer's post the first time. But also as he said: remove the upper chain roller and plug it with a bolt or some RTV.

Remove the kickstand switch, and take it easy in 3rd gear.

Back