• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kenai Peninsula

Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Dietrich
I had the good fortune of working in Alaska for the late summer/early fall. I was based out of Soldotna, giving me a great location to go exploring in my off hours. I have a few hundred photos to mill through. I thought I would share a few that I liked.

Photography is new to me. I'm finding it to be a great way to pass the time when I am stuck out of town. Hoping to get stuck at this location again!

Ninilchik_zpsfl9kq8vt.jpg

Russian_River_Trail_zpspgdfgywj.jpg

Redoubt_zpsmnmyodra.jpg

David, very nice pictures. I am sorry we missed you my friend. Kenai Peninsula is probably my favorite place in Alaska. We just ran out of time and could not make it.

My wife and I stayed three days in Soldotna in the early spring (March) one year. I wonder if the Moose hang out year round? We had one come up on the porch and look through the patio window. The woman who ran the B&B where we stayed, said that the moose enjoyed standing there and watching TV.

Yes, more pictures please. I spent some time in Seward a long time ago. A picture post card view in every direction.

You may be new to photography, but I'd say you're catching on nicely. Thanks for posting.

Thanks! My daughter is a photojournalist and imparts some exacting standards upon me:) She tells me I have much to learn, and I totally agree. Then again, so does she.;-)

Flying in to Kenai offers some unique flight experiences. Like being the only passenger on the plane.

IMG_3023_zpsrr9skg3w.jpg

Kenai has a fantastic beach and some incredible views from the bluffs...

IMG_3097_zpsjznb2uo5.jpg

IMG_3099_zpsbvp2h1q8.jpg

IMG_3129_zpsrsbzzvk0.jpg

IMG_3134_zps9b2qoyp3.jpg

Dip-netter after a long day at the beach...

IMG_2239_zpskgzvguk2.jpg

"Bluff House" is available to rent. Not the most secluded location, but I bet the stars and northern lights are nice sitting at the fire at night.

IMG_3130_zpsnmt0ddho.jpg

IMG_3131_zpsrcxprvib.jpg

The drive down to Homer is worth it, as there are some spectacular overlooks. Especially if you like to fish. I was here 12 years ago and found it much more crowded on this visit.

IMG_2203_s_zpshi31nisg.jpg

IMG_2339_zps8qsetqar.jpg

IMG_2338_zpse9luzr2n.jpg

I agree with ceddec, Seward is a postcard in every direction.

IMG_2637_zpsuth5coms.jpg

IMG_2656_zpsjrzwdhva.jpg

Ninilchik is one of my favorite towns to explore. It also has some of the best views of the bay.

IMG_2675_zpshvzmtaic.jpg

IMG_2708_zpsz8n0ro72.jpg

IMG_2694_zpsuxrzqxnp.jpg

IMG_2674_zpsmbz7kfrp.jpg

IMG_2757_zpscmx8l8ui.jpg

I tried for quite a while to catch salmon in flight on the Russian River Falls. I was there past the major run, so fish were only jumping every 10 minutes or so. Not the best shot, but I was happy to at least capture one.

IMG_2555_zpsv6svw91w.jpg

The only moose pic I snagged was through the window of my car driving back to Soldotna from Ninilchik. They are everywhere, and not afraid to be close to roads/houses/cars. I did not catch any watching TV.

Since their eyes do not reflect light, night time driving is a major hazard. Shadows against shadows.

IMG_2758_zpsijfistwe.jpg

I may be headed back in January. Hoping to get some shots of of the northern lights.

Great photos! Thanks for the tour. I'm going to get there one day!

Thanks for the pics! A trip down the Kenai on a rented R850r in the summer of 2000 convinced my wife she needed to learn to ride her own bike. Twenty seven years of trying to convince her failed to do what five days on the Kenai did:rider:

2014 trip from DFW on my RT1200......Bridal falls up the Thompson pass to Valdez bay.
b4fd02650cc711dd08a7bc5f7eabc7d7.jpg
fd23036b1f32ef99c3a29dcffe0ee6ce.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back