• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motocops with bright blue tail lights?

here are requirements for the FBI (yes FBI) Honda ST1300P

Sound Off Signal Generation 4 LED Lights with CA Title 13 Lenses
Front Facing by windshield:
 1 RED facing forward (flashing) - Predator II SSM
 1 BLUE facing forward (flashing) - Predator II SSM
 2 Stainless steel mounting bolts for front facing lights - Part# 1300 MH
 2 Aluminum mounting brackets for Front Facing Lights - Part # 1300 PRD
 1 Headlight Wig Wag flasher
 1 Red flashing on dash to warn of rear lights being on - Part #1300-12VBFR

Side Mounted:
 1 RED/BLUE on side of left front cowl @ 45 degree angle (flashing) - Predator II SSM
 1 RED/BLUE on side of right front cowl @ 45 degree angle (flashing) - Predator II SSM
 2 Aluminum mounting wedges for front side fairing lights
 2 RED/BLUE surface mounts each side of radio box (flashing) - Predator II SSM
Rear of Bike:
 1 RED/BLUE alternating flashing mounted high on rear- Predator II DGS
 1 RED/BLUE alternating flashing mounted above license plate - Predator II DGS
 2 BLUE LED ID marker lights mounted on rear either side of license plate
Siren:
 1 Compact speaker 100 watt
 1 Siren mount 1300-SPK
 1 Unitrol power supply for siren UM80K
 1 ST1300 Wiring Harness

TRANSPORTATION CODE

TITLE 7. VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC

SUBTITLE C. RULES OF THE ROAD

CHAPTER 547. VEHICLE EQUIPMENT

SUBCHAPTER M. ADDITIONAL OR ALTERNATIVE EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR MOTORCYCLES AND MOTOR-DRIVEN CYCLES

Sec. 547.801. LIGHTING EQUIPMENT. (a) A motorcycle, including a motor-driven cycle, shall be equipped with:

(1) not more than two headlamps mounted at a height from 24 to 54 inches;

(2) at least one taillamp mounted at a height from 20 to 72 inches;

(3) a taillamp or separate lamp to illuminate the rear license plate that complies with the requirements of Sections 547.322(f) and (g);

(4) at least one stoplamp that complies with the requirements of Section 547.323(d); and

(5) at least one rear red reflector that complies with the requirements of Section 547.325(b) and may be included as a part of the taillamp.

(b) A motorcycle, other than a motor-driven cycle, shall be equipped with multiple-beam lighting equipment that produces:

(1) an uppermost distribution of light that reveals a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 300 feet ahead; and

(2) a lowermost distribution of light that:

(A) reveals a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 150 feet ahead; and

(B) is aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam on the motorcycle that is on a straight and level road under any condition of loading projects into the eyes of an approaching vehicle operator.

(c) A motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with:

(1) multiple-beam lighting equipment that complies with the requirements of Subsection (b); or

(2) single-beam lighting equipment that:

(A) emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle:

(i) at a distance of at least 100 feet when the cycle is operated at a speed less than 25 miles per hour;

(ii) at a distance of at least 200 feet when the cycle is operated at a speed of 25 miles per hour or more; and

(iii) at a distance of at least 300 feet when the cycle is operated at a speed of 35 miles per hour or more; and

(B) is aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam from the lamp on a loaded cycle projects a beam higher than the level center of the lamp for a distance of 25 feet ahead.

(d) A motorcycle may not be operated at any time unless at least one headlamp on the motorcycle is illuminated. This subsection does not apply to a motorcycle manufactured before the model year 1975.

#5 "RED" reflector

now, what is legal and what is enforced are two totally different things.

you may never get pulled over for the blue reflectors, but you catch a LEO in a bad mood and he pulls you over for speeding, or not coming to a complete stop before turning right on red, he can tack the blue reflectors on the ticket for good measure.

a state inspection done by the book will fail for the blue reflector.

The original post concerned a light, not a reflector. I still see nothing preventing the use of this device on a police motorcycle.

I'm not sure the complaint is that they're illegal so much as they may be dangerous at night.

Sec. 547.303. COLOR REQUIREMENTS. (a) Unless expressly provided otherwise, a lighting device or reflector mounted on the rear of a vehicle must be or reflect red.

(b) A signaling device mounted on the rear of a vehicle may be red, amber, or yellow.

(d) A taillamp shall emit a red light plainly visible at a distance of 1,000 feet from the rear of the vehicle.

(d) A stoplamp shall emit a red or amber light, or a color between red and amber, that is:

(1) visible in normal sunlight at a distance of at least 300 feet from the rear of the vehicle; and

(2) displayed when the vehicle service brake is applied.

I give. Emergency vehicles have different requirements of which I'm unwilling to chase down. The windmills await!

I am pretty sure that emergency vehicles have to abide by regular vehicle laws except when going code to an actual emergency. I know that this might not be a popular thing with first responders and LEO, but it is what it is.

If there is a special section of lighting requirements and allowances for emergency vehicles I can't find it.

I am pretty sure that emergency vehicles have to abide by regular vehicle laws except when going code to an actual emergency. I know that this might not be a popular thing with first responders and LEO, but it is what it is.

If there is a special section of lighting requirements and allowances for emergency vehicles I can't find it.

Call the fleet manager for your local PD. I'm sure they can provide you with the federal state and local laws that apply. I assure you they don't just add lighting without confirming compliance. I'm unwilling to continue the fight.

I'll just leave it to the OP to contact the department with his concern regarding the specific incident he encountered. We disagree and that is okay by me. I have no obligation to change anyone's mind or position.

The first time I saw construction vehicles with blue lights on them, I was rather surprised. Used to seeing blue only on emergency vehicles.

There's one construction F150 on US67 in Cleburne that has amber/blue lightbar and that amber is awful red looking till you get up close.
It's not just me either, judging by the brake lights in front of me!

I've always taken laws to be exactly literal. Either it's expressly defined or its not covered.
As mentioned, CA lane sharing is one example.
Blue *reflectors* would be another.
The law pretty clearly states (by my non-legal reading) that you're not allowed to have blue lights unless you're an emergency vehicle.

I know a couple guys that run blue lights for SkyWarn spotting and Patriot Guard stuff. Personally, when I outfit for either, I'll be running all amber lights. Less legality issues.

that's pretty much it for the emergency lighting

when police or fire are not running code they have to comply with standard lighting code for motor vehicles.

there used to be a law stating that only police could have blue emergency lights but they started to turn up on fire trucks and now everybody has blue lights.

When I see flashing lights, I don't know if it's the police or construction workers any more. The road contractors around here regularly run blue/white or blue/yellow alternating flashers.

The other day a contractor came up behind me, blue flashers on, at something like 30mph over the limit. I hurried to get out of his way thinking he was police on call. Now I look closer to see what color the lights are, what type vehicle, to decide how to react.

I would think the police would be upset about these guys running around this way, because it's hard to tell who is police responding to an emergency vs. some guy on his way to watch cement pour.

I did find where TXDot was allowing construction vehicles to use blue for warning purposes at construction sites and road side assistance vehicles operated by state or municipalities
They recently did national research and interviewed drivers on it and it is subject to potential future change as they are debating it due to the number of complaints they are receiving.

I have left a message for our vehicle inspection representative who makes the rounds making sure we do our job right but have not heard back from him yet.

Call the fleet manager for your local PD. I'm sure they can provide you with the federal state and local laws that apply. I assure you they don't just add lighting without confirming compliance. I'm unwilling to continue the fight.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

And this will be my only "contribution" to this thread.

I just upgraded my tail lights on my ZRX with two 20watt LED "Bulbs"

9377AD34-2D6F-47C6-8D00-ED5821C288BD_zpsf40i9k30.jpg

leon, could you PM me with ordering/price info? Tks, Wally

I'd like to know how they work out for you. The lights on my Strom are a little underwhelming.

the two small blue marker lights are "classification" lights for easy identification of police motorcycles from a distance.

not all states used them.

the little blue reflectors are not legal.

I made no reference or comment about Blue Reflectors.

Leon, I ordered some for my Chevy cobalt and my Strom. The cobalt sets aren't perfectly lined up. They light up but since only 1/3 of the reflector (no secondary optics) is in the correct alignment, its dimmer than stock. Haven't tried the Strom yet. It might be better since there is a secondary optic. That's on my list to do this weekend among chain, sprockets, and tail light.

OK got the official word and it is "NO" blue brake or tail lights of any kind on any kind of vehicle including police motorcycles is not legal in Texas.

While I appreciate the visibility they provide during the day, like others have said, it's really annoying trying to go around them. It's even more annoying when they get mad when you slow down to a crawl because you can't see a thing ahead of you.

not to resurrect an old thread, but I'm lurking around getting a feel for the site and ran across this.

As it was Explained to me by the Motorjocks I personally know, they are not considered running or tail lights, but rather as "identification" lights. Here in Texas, the blue light statute states that you cannot have a blue flashing, alternaing or rotating red white or blue light mounted on a vehicle that is not an Authorized Emergency Vehicle.

An authorized EV, is a vehicle used in the course of duty. and unlike volunteer fire fighters POV's it is ALWAYS an EV. (Volunteers are only EV's when responding) So that exempts them from the color statute. Also because the light is steady burning, its not technically considered an emergency light. Only execption is red, and it does state specifically that red SHALL not be visible from the front except on a EV.

So its up to you to decide if its worth the ticket to fight.

HOWEVER there is a new law in Texas that prohibits ANY underglow unless its Amber or White. No if ands or buts. its very precise and easy to understand.

That being Said,

I sell and Install Emergency lighting in downtown dallas. so i know the laws for lighting pretty **** good.

You see Blue and Amber on construction trucks, well thats only "permitted" for vehicles under a TXDOT contract. otherwise its supposed to be only amber. that being said, I seel a TON of Blue and Amber lightbars, and surface mount LED's in Amber blue split or dual color.

What i'm planning on doing is a set of Red/Blue steady burn lights on either side of the taillight that are switchable from blue to red and vice versa, but NO flashing.
Also removing the stock KZ1000p rear turn signals and replacing them with dual color Red/Amber Feniex Fusion Surface mounts to serve as Aux Brake and rear turn signals. So they light up RED when the brakes are touched, but turn AMBER when the turn signals are used.

Eventually the bike will be 100% LED and NO halogen or incandescent lighting anywhere.

Well, I forgot about this thread. Things are getting worse. The best solution is for people who work on the sides of roads to simply refuse to do what they are told will keep them safe, when it is glaring (punny, eh) obvious shining bright lights in oncoming drivers' eyes is simply stupid and irresponsible. I'm defending the roadside workers on this one, they are just doing what they are told, according to the people I've spoken to who were actually told to blind oncoming drivers at wrecks and such.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114334

Back