• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bicycle rack for a motorcycle

M

mr-roboto

...saw this "invention" recently. What a great way to combine two great hobbies into one when going on a summer road trip.

2x2-2.jpg

Will this not sway on the road with the bike on the rack?

RB

I've known people who haul bikes that way and claim that it works fine. Compared to the motorcycle and rider, the drag of the bike is small.

The thing you really have to worry about is the amount of leverage there. While the bike doesn't way so much, it's way out there from where the front mount is. Bumps in the road will cause the bike to move up and down and that'll exert a lot of force on those mounts up front. If you have a bike that has issues with subframes (FJR) then that could be a really bad idea.

I can understand how/where the front fork is mounted on the skewer, but the back has me wondering..... What's supporting the bike other than the front fork? Does that 'rack' extend to underneath the bottom bracket? It's not resting on the chainring from the picture.

I can understand how/where the front fork is mounted on the skewer, but the back has me wondering..... What's supporting the bike other than the front fork? Does that 'rack' extend to underneath the bottom bracket? It's not resting on the chainring from the picture.

On the site they mention "Pedal Holster Supports Bike Weight on Crank Arm." I think the crank arm slides into a channel and that secures and supports the bike. That would be a pretty solid mounting point which would save wear and tear on painted surfaces that so many other mounts often attach to.

I wish there were more photos showing detail of the mount points. I'm curious if a through-axle fork could be accommodated, or, if it is only designed for QR setups.

I own the 2x2cycles version and it mounted to weestrom. Feel free to ask any questions - cause I LOVE mine. I use it 75% of the time I go riding/riding.

Will this not sway on the road with the bike on the rack?

RB

I don't think it's likely to be much of an issue. A high end bike like the Trek shown weighs at most 17 pounds ready to ride. Even if it does have a bit of movement I don't expect it's enough mass to make a difference.

Sways more than you would think. But, that is without the loading strap which goes around the stem and down to the pillion pegs. That pulls all of the weight forward to the luggage rack vs. 2 feet behind it. It also REALLY rigidizes the whole mess. Both pictures shown don't have the strap attached.

For those motorcycle with a trailer hitch, perhaps this Photochop version may work. Of course, the seat and the stem will have to be removed before attaching it. The benefit of this design, is the center of gravity is lower than having the bicycle protrude from the rear of the bike like the one being used on the 800gs.

Perhaps this version would be easy to make. One could fit a car rear bicycle rack and weld it to the tubing?

RB

Attachments

• gl1800-protype-2013.jpg
    gl1800-protype-2013.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 290
I've got a bunch of yak and thule parts that I was going to try to make something out of to fit the GS, but I've looked at those 2x2 racks before too. I like the idea of building my own custom contraption, but starting to lean back towards just buying the 2x2, especially now that they use the pillion seat lock so it really is only a minute or two to get it on and off.

Back