• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2019 KTM Adventure 790

Couple of the better photos I've seen of bike.

Attachments

• 46107021_2231123727171132_40381492970389504_n.jpg
    46107021_2231123727171132_40381492970389504_n.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 180
  • 46261390_2231124003837771_2110562227927908352_o.jpg
    46261390_2231124003837771_2110562227927908352_o.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 195
Couple of the better photos I've seen of bike.

I would’t kick her out of my garage for it, but that headlight it really awful. The shape of it is bad, and the way it sticks out so far with nothing covering the sides makes it look like somebody crashed the original off their bike and slapped on one from a Superduke or something.

I would’t kick her out of my garage for it, but that headlight it really awful. The shape of it is bad, and the way it sticks out so far with nothing covering the sides makes it look like somebody crashed the original off their bike and slapped on one from a Superduke or something.

Agreed. Modern, but takes a while to get used too. Definitely no mistaking that it is a ktm

I won't be looking at that headlight while riding the bike :-P My only concern is that it puts out a LOT of usable light so I can see where I am going. IF it does that, it would be FAR better than any headlight BMW has ever put on ANY of their GSs... :roll: There is a reason people stick so many aftermarket lights all over their GSs!

I won't be looking at that headlight while riding the bike :-P My only concern is that it puts out a LOT of usable light so I can see where I am going. IF it does that, it would be FAR better than any headlight BMW has ever put on ANY of their GSs... :roll: There is a reason people stick so many aftermarket lights all over their GSs!
I think the KTM 790 will need auxiliary lighting as well. The rumor is that the light isnt that effective.

Tank Capacity: 5.3 gallons
Dry Weight: 416.7 pounds NOT BAD

Anyone know the hp number on this 790cc twin?

It's got riding modes and multicolor display some nice extras that will drive up the $

Probably going to be around 14k

Never been ktm crazy but I could learn to like the orange coolaid

I think it's a sexy bike but I just don't see it fitting into any of the categories I would need. It's too heavy for dirt and the more technical dual sport rides. I've picked up my 690 more times that I care to admit and I'd HATE to add 100lbs to that lift.

It's too small and light for comfortably cruising highways with a cramped seating position and minimal wind protection. If it's going to replace a bike that you do 500-700 miles a day like a GS does it have cruise? You laugh, but that makes a massive difference over a long day.

So that targets long haul ROW stuff where you're travelling on paved and unimproved bad roads? That's a limited market.

And I'm not a big fan of the new headlight design. Looks like a praying mantis. I also think if you drop it in the rocks it's going to set you back a few bucks to replace.

Best thing it has going for it is it doesn't have a DCT ;-)

No DCT. Lol

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I would have lost respect for KTM if it had. If they do come out with a DCT bike, paint it pink instead of orange.

If they haven't come out with a shaft drive adventure bike after all these years I'm pretty sure they're going to be slow to jump on the DCT bandwagon.

There's a place for DCT's in the motorcycle world, it just isn't in high-strung high-performance bikes that are coveted by the kind of people who gravitate to KTM's.

I think it's a sexy bike but I just don't see it fitting into any of the categories I would need. It's too heavy for dirt and the more technical dual sport rides. I've picked up my 690 more times that I care to admit and I'd HATE to add 100lbs to that lift.

It's too small and light for comfortably cruising highways with a cramped seating position and minimal wind protection. If it's going to replace a bike that you do 500-700 miles a day like a GS does it have cruise? You laugh, but that makes a massive difference over a long day.

So that targets long haul ROW stuff where you're travelling on paved and unimproved bad roads? That's a limited market.

And I'm not a big fan of the new headlight design. Looks like a praying mantis. I also think if you drop it in the rocks it's going to set you back a few bucks to replace.

Best thing it has going for it is it doesn't have a DCT ;-)
I agree with most of this. I do think it will be able to handle some pretty technical DS riding but I wouldn't think one would be riding it 200 miles to a DS ride area and then back home.

Most will just trailer it.

If you trailer to the DS area, then a 500EXC would be preferred for the ride.

Now...if I lived in Colorado or Arkansas where I might do a 300-400 mile day of 1/2 dirt and half street. It could be perfect.

For example, Creed to Lake City, over Engineer or Cinnamon to Silverton, over Ophir or Black Bear to Telluride, over Imogene to Ouray and then highway back to Creede.

That ride would be perfect for the 790 Adv. A GS could make it, but it would be hard on some of the passes like Black Bear or Imogene. A 690 could be great on the dirt but would really wear you out on the pavement.

But....for me, right now, living in North Texas. I'm not sure it checks my need boxes any more than the bikes I already have. (GS12 and WR450)

I've decided I won't be a first year buyer.

True, as I will trailer to Arkansas, thus 500 would be way better. Heck may be 350 exc even.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I like the size of this bike, it fits right in a sweet spot between the big thumpers and the larger Adv bikes. It will be way more fun on the rough back country roads than the larger Adv bikes and will run the roads good with some typical improvements for comfort.

Tubeless wheels would be great, plug and go. I'm not a fan of the aftermarket tubeless systems.

Last edited:
I can see it being great for a true dual sport adventure where you are on the road for extended times. Think Long Way Round or something like that. It is basically a nice upgrade to Lyndon Poskitt's bike that he uses for his world travels. Maybe not race worthy, but still good enough for most two track stuff and decent on roads where you may not want to be running 80mph. Can probably carry a good bit of luggage. Has decent range. WAY easier to pick up than any of the big adventure bikes. But yeah, here in Texas my 1200 GS can do just about everything in the state with few exceptions (BBRSP and maybe parts of BBNP). Still, it would be fun to try one and see if I liked it :-P

a little quick figuring from specs i find: the dry weight difference between the t700 and the 790adv is that the yamaha t700 is 9.8lbs heaver.

not bad for the Yamaha, especially considering that the t700 will cost less than the ktm. (just have to wait)

i like less complex with the t700, which the ktm 790 seems more so with ride modes and bells and whistles.

Munn`s has a 790 duke.. I saw it yesterday... While it was being assembled..
They are listed for $10,499.

Last edited:
I will have to wait and see the bike. I am leaning toward getting the DRZ running properly and keeping the Strom at this point. Paco and Daniel had a nice set up with their WR 250's. The DRZ is more capable than I am. Maybe get some camping lessons from Misterk. Maybe utilize my 3 bikes more is all I need to focus on. Practice a little on being content.

Back