• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hill Country DS Ride, Austin, Mar 14, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
It's time for another dual sport day ride in the Texas hill country. I'm leading a dual sport ride into the hill country on Saturday, March 14, 2015 and all riders are invited to attend.

_1110091-L.jpg

This ride is being sponsored by:
TJ's Cycles
2535 Ridgepoint Dr #300
Austin, TX 78754

(Please note the new address - TJ's has moved from their old location on Lamar Blvd.)

TJ'ss will be providing breakfast items (donuts, or tacos, or pigs in a blanket, etc) and will open the store early for us. Please make sure to thank Tom and Brian Johnson for their generous support.

_1110083-L.jpg

_1110074-L.jpg

Meet at TJ's Cycles with a full tank of gas. Breakfast will be from 8:00am - 9:00am. Riders meeting at 8:50am. Stands up at 9 am.

The Route
This will be a 250 mile pavement and dirt ride.

From TJ's we will ride pavement west toward Mason on a mix of highway and county roads. Once we get west of Hwy 87 we will encounter the first dirt of the day. After about 180 miles of riding we will arrive in Luckenbach for a late lunch. Our route from Luckenbach will be all pavement back to Austin and the end of the ride.

The route to Luckebach will include a bunch of really fun, one lane county roads that can be ridden on any street bike. We will also enjoy some fun hill country dirt roads with a few low water crossings.

GPS
You can download the route for use with your GPS. Right click and save to your computer. I created the route in Basecamp using City Navigator North America 2012.

What kind of bike can do this ride?
This ride is suitable for all types of dual sport adventure bikes, with the only caveat being that you need to be able to run 70 mph on pavement since our route includes some state highways.

Fuel
There is 1 gas station on the route - at the intersection of Hwy 12 and Hwy 3238/Hamilton Pool Road - about 35 miles after we leave TJ's. If you don't have a 200 mile range, I suggest that you top your tank there.

The route doesn't pass directly by any other gas stations - however, the route does pass very close to Fredericksburg and after leaving Luckenbach the route goes through Blanco. Your group could easily divert from the route to get fuel in either of these towns. There is also a gas station about 4.5 miles north of Luckenback, at the intersection of Hwy 290 and Hwy 1376 - you could easily ride there and back while your group is at Luckenbach.

You could also carry spare gas if you feel so inclined.

Pick a group, any group.
We will divide into smaller groups (6-8 riders per group) with a ride leader for each group.

What if the weather is bad?
A bad weather/rain decision will be made Friday evening and posted here so be sure to check this thread if there is a chance of bad weather on ride day. I will rescheduled if heavy rains are forecasted or if we get a significant cold front and the temps aren't going to be above 45 degrees. But, since it will be mid-March, the odds are good that the weather will cooperate.

Last edited:
Count me in. Call it a shakedown for the BB ride following weekend.
Ideal to fix small issues.
looking forward to it.

I'm working that Saturday night so I'll have to miss it again :doh:

I'll show up in the morning and hang out with you guys until you get on your way.

I should be able to go. Might be 2up on the Vstrom. Looking forward to it

A month out, won't breakfast be a little stale by then?

Hopefully I'll have my DRZ sorted by then.

Updated GPS File

JT alerted me today to a small routing error on the GPS file. I have corrected the error and have uploaded the corrected version. If you have already downloaded the previous version you might want to replace it with the new version. The link is in the first post in this thread.

I think I am in for this. It'll be my first group ride with anyone from this forum. Looking forward to it.

Unless something comes up that compels me to stay in Houston and work. +1

My TW can't do 70 on the highway, so I guess I'm out.

If I could get off work..might just have to call in sick!

Was at TJ's just the other day.
Really enjoyed their new digs

Winterizing is wearing a jacket!
"It's Always Riding Season!"

I plan on being in Austin that day, would like to make this if possible.

I went by TJs new shop last time I was in Austin. They had a pretty good selection of orange bikes. I eye-raped the SuperDuke mostly.

Hello my name is Jesus Mayoral but you can call me Mayor.:mrgreen: I was born in Venezuela and I live with my family in Friendswood since February 2007. I'm 47 years old, happily married and father of a 19 years old son. I ride a KTM 1190 Adventure I bought last December. I'm probably the rookie-est rider in the forum but I'm ready for an adventure ride and this one sounds perfect to me. I'd would probably ride from Friendswood the Friday before. I'm happily exited like a kid after found this forum I like it a lot.

I can't download the route. When try to open it shows like a program. Is there a time to meet at TJ's? Thanks.

Are the dirt portion of the ride ........street bike friendly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back