• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FM 1414, Tx

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
What: Well, after the ride the weekend of 03/15/03, I'd have to say that the group consensus is that FM 1414 rocks!! It is really good pavement with some incredibly fun esses. You do need to watch for the little old lady weaving all over the road at 10mph below the posted limits :lol: Of course we got behind her on some of the best parts :pound: It's not a real long road unfortunately, but if you are in the area between Newton and Burkeville, I'd rank it as a must do! :dude:

:tab A few miles from the South end of the road is the Wild Azalea Canyon Trail park. The time to visit here is the second half of March and all of April. There are some nice views looking out over the Sabine River Valley as well.

:tab There are two curves to watch for if you are running it from the South end to the North end. The first is a hump. On the far side of the hump on the right you will be able to see one or two of the road sign arrows indicating you should be going left. These are easy to miss if you are not paying attention. If you are moving very fast, the bike will go light right as you need to lean over into a left turn. For sportbikes it is not that big a deal; however, for a cruiser this could be a problem due to reduced lean angle.

:tab The second curve is a right hander. I don't think it is marked. It is a few miles from the North end of the road. It is pretty sharp, probably a 30-40mph curve for a sportbike. However, there is always loose gravel in the turn. Be watching for this!! It almost never fails to catch a few riders unaware.

:tab No pictures yet. Hopefully I will get some this weekend (03/29/03).

Where: FM 1414 is on the very East edge of Texas right next to the Sabine River. It is Southeast of Burkeville on Hwy 63. Follow US 190 East to Newton and head North on Hwy 87 a few miles to the Southern end of FM 1414.

Designation: FM 1414 and the Wild Azalea Trail.

Back