• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

WTB "In Between" Kids Bike

Reaction score
My 12 year old daughter (on the smaller side of 12 years old) has outgrown her XR50 and I'm trying to decide whether to get her another bike or a 4 wheeler. I missed out on the XR80 that was for sale here a couple days ago and similar ones I see around are closer to $1,000. What are some models similar to an XR80 (4 stroke & not too tall)?

She also likes riding my dad's Honda Rancho 350 but it's a little big for her if she's riding on not-level ground. What are some good smaller models?

Let me know if you have something that would work for her. I'll also have an XR50 for sale soon.

Thanks

My son has a CRF70F. I had thought we might have to move him up at some point to something like the CRF110 but he sat on one at the trails and we found the frame to be almost the same size it seemed. Really need to size her up. Might be worth a trip to Dallas in February for the Motorcycle show and let her sit on some stuff. Most of the kids bikes haven't been redesigned in ages so you'll know what to go back and look for.

The CRF70 would probably be perfect for her but I'd like to get her an XR80 so she has to learn to use a clutch. Does the CRF70 have a clutch? It looks pretty much just like her XR50 but a little bigger.

No clutch. It IS very much like the CRF50F that we had, only without a throttle lock. We had him on the 50 long enough to get used to dealing with the throttle and then moved him over to the 70 because he didn't fit the 50.

Yamaha TTR110 has four-speed automatic and is a small frame bike that she could ride for several years. I sold one recently to Tourmeister. He could probably give you some insight into the TTR and other models. He has children that are riding at a variety of levels and sizes. Kawasaki and Honda also make a comparable bike the same size (110).

:tab My daughter had a hard time with the clutch on the XR80R because of the reach. Also, the XR80R is actually taller than the CRF110F which I got her later. She likes the 110. She turns 13 Saturday and she can still ride it, but she is starting to get a little cramped in the legs. My son is 11. He has ridden the XR80R and had fun, but he doesn't want to mess with the clutch yet. He really likes the TTR110E we got from Pkiser this Spring. It is basically an identical bike to the CRF110F. Both are electric and kick start. Both have 4 speeds. Both are the same physical size. My 9 year old daughter can ride the 110s, but is a little intimidated by it. She still prefers the TTR50E. I'd like to get her on the 110s though so I could sell the 50 and have one less bike taking up space in the garage. It would be cool if the 110s were also available with a clutch and a slightly closer reach than that of the XR80R. I do want all of them to learn the clutch.

Here's the thread about her experience with the XR80R - I think she was 9-1/2 at the time.
http://twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84649

:tab I think if I were to spend a little time with her now, she'd probably have no issues with the XR80R once she got the hang of the clutch and shifting.

Here is a thread with a bunch of pics of her on the 110 when she was a little over 10.
http://twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102192

Here is a thread for a trip this past April with pics of all the kids riding. Sarah (12) is on the red Honda CRF110, Daniel (10) on the blue TTR110E, and Rachel (8) on the blue TTR50E, and me on the XR80R.
http://twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113929

This is from that thread,
IMG_2347.jpg

It gives a decent idea of how the 80 is actually bigger than the 110s. It is also faster even though it is only an 80. Has to be gearing. The 110s can be lugged but the 80 has to be revved.

Yamaha TTR1125 they make small wheel models, electric start or no, all are manual trans. Cool part is you can ride too if she dosent

Last edited:
I have one that we've been holding onto as a "buddy bike" for my kids friends. Its a 2005 CRF80 and I may be willing to sell it. I'm also in Austin if that matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back