• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MC Camping on the Cheap

Next test is to cook a burger without a frying pan on an alcohol stove. Just don't want to clean it. Thinking some version of foil wrapped. wish I could cook two at the same time without a frying pan or a mess of any kind.

take a used, cleaned tuna / chicken can set it open side down on a pocket rocket type stove and use the bottom for a cooking surface. Size of can dictates the burger size. When done drop the can in your trash and your done. this gets extremely hot extremely fast so careful not to burn you burger.
aluminum foil tends to fall apart before your burger is cooked through. Unless you do a hobo dinner type thing and constantly flip the packet.

Cooking Progresso lentil soup - simple and cheap w no cleanup. The Sterno cooks without hot spots and wont burn the can. Use the BBQ grill for a wind screen.

23883214987_ae27d95f35_z.jpg

I bought several for gifts. These are about $20 at REI and $15+ at Academy.

On mine I slipped the $5 GSI like Walmart SS cup on the bottom and removed one green cup. Without the second green cup, a bottle of propane, a lighter and a small stove fits inside the pot. Then I slide the whole thing into a little bag with a drawstring.

Last edited:
I've used that stanley set successfully several times and MC camping for over 1.5 weeks. Mainly to heat water for freeze dried food, but have also cooked noodles in it. Wish the inside was teflon coated so food wouldn't stick, but this is still a great set.

I'm happy there is no teflon. It is stainless steel and I bet it lasts longer.

I'll use it today. We are riding the Trinity river in south Dallas in a few and I froze some leftover spaghetti. It's in a freezer bag and I will just boil water in the Stanley with the freezer bag in it. Should be zero cleanup and that water used for tea.

Picked up one of these when I forgot my Kelty 3 person at home. 24 dollars will get it out the door. It's perfectly serviceable tent with just enough extra space for MC gear to stay in. No poor weather conditions in it yet. I'll report on that when/if it happens.

I'll hopefully have a video review up on it sometime this week.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-1-Person-Backpacking-Tent/55208709

I may pick up one of these next payday but they're on clearance now so they may not even make them anymore.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-86-5-x-39-5-Bivy-Tent-Sleeps-1/54593874#read-more

Last edited:
I'm new to this thread and I wonder if anyone has posted a beer can stove. I don't really want to read through 66 pages and a quick search didn't find a can stove.

I'm new to this thread and I wonder if anyone has posted a beer can stove. I don't really want to read through 66 pages and a quick search didn't find a can stove.
No harm if its already posted. Do you use an alcohol stove?

I have a multi-fuel stove for backpacking that will use alcohol, coleman fuel, gasoline, etc. It was pretty expensive, so it doesn't really fit in with this thread. In the past I used a beer can stove with Coleman fuel. I believe it would also use gasoline. I gave away the last one I had and this will give me an excuse to drink 2 large cans of beer.

I have a multi-fuel stove for backpacking that will use alcohol, coleman fuel, gasoline, etc. It was pretty expensive, so it doesn't really fit in with this thread. In the past I used a beer can stove with Coleman fuel. I believe it would also use gasoline. I gave away the last one I had and this will give me an excuse to drink 2 large cans of beer.

Remember this is on the cheap so make sure it’s cheap beer.

I tried several times to make these soda can or beer can stoves and could never get top and bottom together. Then there is the cat food alcohol stove but I dont have the carbon fiber that goes between the two cans.

So I just took a Vienna sausage can and punched holes along the top of it. When I put a pot on it, it snuffed the flame. So I put it into a hobo stove and it works perfectly. I wish I could test it against one of these other alcohol stove.

I tried several times to make these soda can or beer can stoves and could never get top and bottom together.

The trick is to just score the bottom can instead of cutting through. Then cut the can a little higher than the score line so that you can tear the can at the score line. The tearing action creates a very slight funnel shaped lip which allows the top can to slide in.

The only problem with that is the vienna sausage part. :lol2:

I have developed a pallet for what no one else can tolerate. I must be part vulture. This unusual ability includes eating:

SPAM
Canned Sauerkraut
Hormel canned corn beef
Hormel Deviled ham
cold hot dogs
cheap bologna

It's more like a skill.

You're a brave man, Mike. Vienna sausage and deviled ham are among those foods I never ate again, once my mother quit making me. Spam actually stands in pretty well in place of bacon if you're backpacking, and if you can spare the weight of the can.

You're a brave man, Mike. Vienna sausage and deviled ham are among those foods I never ate again, once my mother quit making me. Spam actually stands in pretty well in place of bacon if you're backpacking, and if you can spare the weight of the can.

Tim,your a tuna mac guy.:puke: Viennas are not bad with scrambled eggs and Spam in a pinch. Last trip I took I had two single serve pouches and never ate them. To me both you have to be really hungry to dig in. Not terrible just not even close to being a favorite.:giveup:

And let's not mention potted meat!

Last edited:
And let's not mention potted meat!

One time at the end of a week long backpacking trip I got really hungry before making it back to the parking area. I was on my way out and down to the last of my food. I dug deep and all I had was a can of potted meat and a moon pie.:shrug: So I made potted meat sandwich with a moon pie for my bread.:puke: That was 30 yrs. ago and I have not touched potted meat or moon pies since. Just the thought is enough.:giveup:

Dude, you ruined a moon pie? I love those things.

Fried SPAM is better than OK, almost good. Potted meat never appealed to me. Deviled ham is what I call Deviled Chicken (Chicken Spread) and I can eat that. But here's the one in this category that I LIKE:

bumble-bee-chicken-salad.jpg

Back