• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

9th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride

Me and wife are gonna be in a camper van...

Up on Alamo peak or where ever with bicycles

A little worried about leaving the 500 on the hitch if we run around

Bring it over and we'll run it up in the RV. Course, I may need to take it out to keep it limbered up while y'all are gone. :trust:

Re: 9th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride 7/31-8/4 Cloudcroft, New Mexico

The 9th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride 7/31-8/4 Cloudcroft, New Mexico unofficial banquet will be Friday, August 4th at Ski Cloudcroft. Unofficial meaning, no host, show up if you want, when you want, during their business hours. My group will probably get there around 630-7p.

logo-min.jpg

http://skicloudcroft.net/ - "The restaurant is also open for the summer, Friday 4-8 PM, Saturday 12-8 PM, and Sunday 12-7 PM. Get out of the heat and enjoy one of our famous pizzas on the deck and cool summer air."

My son and I would like to attend. We were planning on going the second week of August but we have never been there. It would be nice to ride with a few folks that are familiar with the area. We will probably on come for a few days. Sat come ride Sunday Monday and then head home.

At this time I am making plans to be there. Will most likely drive Sat, ride Sun-Tues, head home Wed. Being unfamiliar with the area I will avoid any single track as I am on an 800gsa.

I will be trailering my bike out and have room for a second or possibly even a third if anyone is looking for transport from the Dallas area. I plan to tent camp. PM me if you are interested in teaming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wondering about safe place to leave my truck and trailer for the days I am out riding. Any suggestions from those who know the area?

I may take my pop camper or do tent camping. My son has been wanting to try the adventure camping. He just finished a 68 mile hike in northern NM two days ago. So he may have had his fill of tent sleeping for a bit.

Wondering about safe place to leave my truck and trailer for the days I am out riding. Any suggestions from those who know the area?

Wouldn't you just leave it at your camp site, like the other hundred trucks and trailers and campers that will be in the Forest on a typical weekend? It is not like your truck will be up on blocks with the wheels stolen when you get back from a day's ride. I have only been going up there for almost 30 years, but most of the folks i have encountered are up there for the same reason I am--to enjoy the mountains and get some R&R.

Take the basic precautions like locking your vehicles and basically securing your valuables and you will be fine parking anywhere. No worries.

That's why I asked. I don't have any idea what everyone else does nor do I know anything about the area. There are places in East TX where if you left your truck all day you would mostly likely find, if lucky all your wheels gone. Most all ride reports don't address those topics.

That's why I asked. I don't have any idea what everyone else does nor do I know anything about the area. There are places in East TX where if you left your truck all day you would mostly likely find, if lucky all your wheels gone. Most all ride reports don't address those topics.

Yikes. I guess I am glad to have never have to worry about things like that where we ride.

The cool thing about Cloudcroft is that it doesn't really require a bunch of prior knowledge. My standard advice is to stop by the Ranger Station, get a MVUM, and go explore. Big bikes up there and where they can go is a pretty subjective topic because of rider skill. However, there are 100s of miles of easy forest roads to explore on a big dual sport that I would not hesitate to recommend to any rider.

Re: 9th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride 7/31-8/4 Cloudcroft, New Mexico

NMDOT to reinforce U.S. 82 tunnel this summer

Depending on the start date this could effect those needing to travel down to Alamogordo. The first couple of years we would go to Alamogordo for supplies, now we stock up on the way through Artesia. Fenns Country Market is a classic grocery store.

636338423440793173-tunnel-1.jpg

If you go through Artesia check out -Abo Elementary School in Artesia, New Mexico, United States, was the first public school in the United States constructed entirely underground and equipped to function as an advanced fallout shelter. Designed at the height of the Cold War and completed in 1962, the school had a concrete slab roof which doubled as the school's playground. It contained a large storage facility with room for emergency rations and supplies for up to 2,160 people in the event of nuclear warfare or other catastrophe. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.

Last edited:
Having never been there, I've really been on the fence about getting a GPS. Those that have been there or close to it, do you think a GPS would be needed or would make a big difference in the enjoyment of going there? As of now I don't have a group to ride with, would kind of get one when there.

Having never been there, I've really been on the fence about getting a GPS. Those that have been there or close to it, do you think a GPS would be needed or would make a big difference in the enjoyment of going there? As of now I don't have a group to ride with, would kind of get one when there.

Download the area on Google maps of your cell phone . Also download the Rever app on your phone. That's all you need for cloudcroft .
Just saved you $200 - $600 . You are welcome .:rider:

On the web it says the Ranger station is open m-f. If I want to get a map it appears it will be closed on Saturday which sounds a bit odd since a lot of folks go on the weekends. It's the website wrong? I would like to get a paper map just in case.

On the web it says the Ranger station is open m-f. If I want to get a map it appears it will be closed on Saturday which sounds a bit odd since a lot of folks go on the weekends. It's the website wrong? I would like to get a paper map just in case.

They usually have MVUMs in a self serve kiosk right by the front door.

On the web it says the Ranger station is open m-f.

You could call the ranger station to see if they could stock it before you arrive or make other arrangements to obtain one.

You can view one here if you can print it - https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5413949.pdf

High Altitude (575) 682-1229 | 310 Burro Avenue, Cloudcroft, New Mexico 88317 is open on weekends and sells Forest Visitor Maps.

I carry both the MVUM and Forest Visitor Map with me on rides.

Last edited:
Just to clarify you can camp the whole time in Lincoln national forest? Do you need a permit for camping or for NM to ride?

Lastly I'd still like a ride from San Antonio. I would easily rather pay your gas than have a sore butt for 600 miles haha.

If you're riding as well and want to ride together let me know as well.

Last edited:
Just to clarify you can camp the whole time in Lincoln national forest? Do you need a permit for camping or for NM to ride?

Lastly I'd still like a ride from San Antonio. I would easily rather pay your gas than have a sore butt for 600 miles haha.

If you're riding as well and want to ride together let me know as well.

Yes, the Forest has free dispersed camping w/ no permit required along forest service roads. I would find a spot along 223. That road is very centrally located in the forest. There are many other options as well.

As far as a permit to ride, you have to have a licensed motorcycle, or a OHV permit (sticker). New Mexico does recognize the Texas sticker. Even if you have a plate, the right thing to do, if you are riding the real MC and OHV trails, is to have a sticker.

The MVUM is a great source of information on everything, including finding roads to camp.

Last edited:
I've found the FS is glad to mail you a MVUM for pretty much anywhere. Email or call the one near CC. They'll have it to you early enough to do a little planning.

I am planning to be there. I will be on a V-Strom 650 and will want to ride forest service roads and logging roads.
Will there be a meeting area in the mornings to find riding groups?

ltl

The best spot would probably be Allsup's Convenience Store. Allsup's in centrally located and the only fuel available on the mountain. Burro Street Bakery is close by for coffee and pastries.

I can be there on Monday, 7/31 at 845a if anyone needs help grouping up. If you plan on meeting there to find a riding group PM me a couple of days beforehand and I'll be there, if I don't get any PMs I won't.

I may post up a pre-ride dinner spot on Sunday, the 30th but I may go fly fishing on Sunday, if so I won't make it. More latter, Big Daddy's is an option though, I know they are open on Sunday night.

I am planning to be there. I will be on a V-Strom 650 and will want to ride forest service roads and logging roads.

ltl

I'll be looking for the same type roads so there's at least 2 of us.

Back