• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1998 Grizzly 600 Clutch

Reaction score
First Name
David
I have a question and hopefully someone might have suggestion. The belt started slipping to the point it would not move recently. Ordered a moose belt. Started to use oil and upon removing the cover I found out the issue. I took the primary and secondary off and had to remove the inner plate. Some of the bolts had backed off over time and the gasket was bad so the oil was going into the belt area. I cleaned everything and used high temp gasket material in a tube. Everything seemed to be fine following the gasket material instructions. The issue I have now is that the primary does not stop in neutral correctly to allow shifting in forward or reverse. The shaft does turn forward as it should and not backwards so I assume the one direction bearing is ok. The question. Is there something on the inside of the the case that I could have messed up on . When the key is turned off, the primary turns till the motor stops and makes a noise as it stops. My next step is to drain the oil, remove the plate and inspect things. The primary and second are working as expected when reving up and down. In one video I watched, the primary came to a stop at idle and this does not. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sounds like the one way clutch bearing (4SH-16664-00-00). I've replaced several of these. Also, the primary clutch weight housing where the 4WV-17632-00-00 weights/rollers are should be full of grease. Be careful, the one way clutch bearing must go in a certain way because it is directional. Also, if the drum 99999-03175-00 has groves worn in it, it'll need replaced along with 5GT-16620-00-00. Hang on to your bank account because those parts are like $1k. I've worked on many of these, most because the customers are not using the correct motorcycle specific oil that these clutch components require.

Last edited:
The drum was fine. I will take it apart one more time. I think the issue is self inflicted. The machine has worked all these yrs. I had to remove the housing to fix the bad gasket and I did have the bearing out. Thanks for the info and help

Back