TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > User Reviews of Bikes, Mods, Gear, etc,...

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 12-12-2016, 01:30 PM   #141
SilverBullet

Re: KTM 1190 ADVENTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellbandit View Post
Probably falls under the guy that can't afford a Rolex but has a drawer full of Seiko, Citizen and Invicta watches.
Some people like to collect but who really needs more than one watch? Nobody except the person who wants to. A $20 Timex keeps good enough time for 99.9% of us. And if you want the most accurate watch it is a Citizen at one third the price of the cheapest Rolex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellbandit View Post
In over 4 decades of riding, I spent more time waiting on a single fix for a shaft final drive than all the combined time spent spraying on a bit of lube or once every 12k miles throwing on a new chain.
Sounds like you broke your rule # 4 above. Buy mainstream and you get rock hard reliability in most cases. 12k chain replacement would come three times a year for me and could stop me in far away places when not convenient or fun to be working on my bike. For others that would be a chain replacement every 5 years or maybe lifetime. Everybody has different needs, your stereotypes don't reflect that so I added on to your list. Been hashed over thousands of times before.

So...buy what you need or buy what you want or buy what you can afford. Most important is ride what you buy and ride often.

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #142
kromy67

There are watches that serve for more than one purpose and cheaper than buying two for each. You're not going to carry two watches. I agree, buy what you can keep and use it wisely. The beauty is they are all different.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

2015 KTM 1190 :
2016 NINJA 1000 ABS
kromy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:11 PM   #143
schnellbandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
Some people like to collect but who really needs more than one watch? Nobody except the person who wants to. A $20 Timex keeps good enough time for 99.9% of us. And if you want the most accurate watch it is a Citizen at one third the price of the cheapest Rolex.

Sounds like you broke your rule # 4 above. Buy mainstream and you get rock hard reliability in most cases. 12k chain replacement would come three times a year for me and could stop me in far away places when not convenient or fun to be working on my bike. For others that would be a chain replacement every 5 years or maybe lifetime. Everybody has different needs, your stereotypes don't reflect that so I added on to your list. Been hashed over thousands of times before.

So...buy what you need or buy what you want or buy what you can afford. Most important is ride what you buy and ride often.

_
No rules, just observations.

I'm one of those with a drawer full of watches. Funny thing though, one of the moderately priced ones, being the oldest Has appreciated in value over all those years and is easily a trade across for a new Rolex but it's a keeper.

The 12 K chain replacement is just for one bike so the number of chains is actually higher but most of the bikes are good for 12k on a chain, same as tires. Might as well do them at the same time.chain

Chains, belts or shafts; any can break and everything that moves needs maintenance.
schnellbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:38 PM   #144
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

When I took the tank and air box off of my Africa Twin I saw the same exact design flaw, any water that enters one of the front facing air horns have nowhere to go but down towards the paper air filters, one on each side. I thought about installing some kind of drain hole at the bottom part of the unfiltered side of the air box but realized if a wall of water enters no weep hole is going to help. It appears that the front opening of the air horns are behind the front fairing so rain or splashing shouldn't be an issue, but a laydown or other submarine type of adventure would cause serious water ingestion...

Has anybody drilled weep holes in the dirty side of their air box, there must be some kind of rubber check valve that would allow water out without dirty air or water in?
2017 Yamaha XT250 (wife's bike)
1968 CT90
1979 Jeep CJ5 (it's her' but she lets me drive it sometimes)
2007 Kubota L3940, John Deer X300, Kubota Zero Turn, Polaris Crew, Kawasaki Mule Pro FX, 3 chain saws, 3 weed eaters, pole saw, Duramax truck, all need servicing of some sort all the time . . .
kubotamiketx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:25 PM   #145
kromy67

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubotamiketx View Post
When I took the tank and air box off of my Africa Twin I saw the same exact design flaw, any water that enters one of the front facing air horns have nowhere to go but down towards the paper air filters, one on each side. I thought about installing some kind of drain hole at the bottom part of the unfiltered side of the air box but realized if a wall of water enters no weep hole is going to help. It appears that the front opening of the air horns are behind the front fairing so rain or splashing shouldn't be an issue, but a laydown or other submarine type of adventure would cause serious water ingestion...

Has anybody drilled weep holes in the dirty side of their air box, there must be some kind of rubber check valve that would allow water out without dirty air or water in?
A 1/4" drain connection with a hose and a stud at the end will do the job. My KTM has it on the clean side which to me will be the same for that purpose since water will be before and after. If it's on the clean side you might be taking the risk on getting dirty air. If your bike dive or suspect it has been drinking water for any reason, drain it before starting. I didn't know that before I had a water-lock. Also and in case you can't drain it enough, check how you can take the lowest spark plug out (where the water will be) and let the engine rotate at a the highest gear to blow it out. Vacuum the water out with a hose will work too if you don't mind to taste some water with gasoline.

2015 KTM 1190 :
2016 NINJA 1000 ABS
Old 05-31-2017, 03:12 PM   #146
kromy67

Have you guys done the gas tank gauge mod to avoid the false gasoline tank level? I did it and now is working flawless.

2015 KTM 1190 :
2016 NINJA 1000 ABS
Old 05-31-2017, 08:37 PM   #147
bigjohnintexas

??? Haven't heard of it.
bigjohnintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:24 PM   #148
kromy67

https://youtu.be/iTQWYg7mPPI

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2015 KTM 1190 :
2016 NINJA 1000 ABS
Old 05-31-2017, 10:29 PM   #149
kromy67

https://youtu.be/E6y2YNpS9Co

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2015 KTM 1190 :
2016 NINJA 1000 ABS
Old 10-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #150
kromy67

I was hesitating about writing down this post. My pride did not want me to do it but my conscience won. I believe still is a good experience to share and perhaps some of you might have been there already but were too proud to share it . I started to have what I called a delay start on my 1190. It happened on and off but after I started researching to see if there was already an issue I became paranoiac and obsessed to get an explanation and solve the “problem”. *I could not find anything conclusive so I started to learn how to test all the actors involved. Once I finished such tests, expending money on devices and a lot of time and I was about to take it to the dealer, I did a final try, pushing the start button like I really wanted to help the bike to start with a little push to each sides and Eureka! The in-leftward push worked. The idea of having a serious failure was not letting me think. I did learn a lot and I believe everything happen for a reason. There are some tips after all this journey I want to resume:
-******* Believe in your bike first y take time to know it. They all have design issues but it might not be the case for you.
-******* Verify all tests by showing repetitive result.
-******* Make a firm contact while testing the relay since if not you are going to get a rapid fire click sound that could make you believe the relay is broken.
-******* PUSH THE START BUTTOM LIKE A MAN!
-******* THANKS A LOT YOU TUBERS!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

2015 KTM 1190 :
2016 NINJA 1000 ABS
Old 10-17-2017, 01:37 PM   #151
_RG_

Water ingestion? Nah...

2 - 2015 1190R's and a 2016. One runs the Rottweiler setup... others are just stock. I went first - figured, what the heck. Worst that could happen was to drown, be washed down stream and eventually get eaten by bears.

Guys in the 4X4 didn't want to try it.

http://youtu.be/gKDK3L8Gx9s
Old 10-17-2017, 01:44 PM   #152
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

RG, that is INSANE !!! You need a check up buddy
2017 Yamaha XT250 (wife's bike)
1968 CT90
1979 Jeep CJ5 (it's her' but she lets me drive it sometimes)
2007 Kubota L3940, John Deer X300, Kubota Zero Turn, Polaris Crew, Kawasaki Mule Pro FX, 3 chain saws, 3 weed eaters, pole saw, Duramax truck, all need servicing of some sort all the time . . .
kubotamiketx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:26 PM   #153
mitchntx
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromy67 View Post
Have you guys done the gas tank gauge mod to avoid the false gasoline tank level? I did it and now is working flawless.

2016 1290 SA
Certainly been considering it. Sticks about 50% of the time.
Seems simple enough.

On an unrelated note ... the "heat shield" shipped yesterday.
http://www.motosport.com/oem-parts/p...er/60707045000

Stole this image from another site

Its a molded, plastic barrier that sits between the seat and backbone of the frame and extends from the gas tank back.

I'm expecting great things

Last edited by mitchntx; 10-17-2017 at 07:29 PM.
mitchntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #154
kromy67

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchntx View Post
2016 1290 SA
Certainly been considering it. Sticks about 50% of the time.
Seems simple enough.

On an unrelated note ... the "heat shield" shipped yesterday.
http://www.motosport.com/oem-parts/p...er/60707045000

Stole this image from another site

Its a molded, plastic barrier that sits between the seat and backbone of the frame and extends from the gas tank back.

I'm expecting great things
Interested. Let me know how it worked for you. The tank gauge issue is an easy fix. Just use a sand paper like 200 around it on the upper section and try it on before install it.

2015 KTM 1190 :
2016 NINJA 1000 ABS
Old 10-17-2017, 08:31 PM   #155
_RG_

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromy67 View Post

It's on the To Do list. My gauge is pretty much useless right now. Took it in under warranty and asked if the one being put in was any different than the one being replaced - "No." I asked: Is KTM going to fix the problem? Dealer says: "What problem?"
Old 10-17-2017, 08:36 PM   #156
kromy67

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RG_ View Post
It's on the To Do list. My gauge is pretty much useless right now. Took it in under warranty and asked if the one being put in was any different than the one being replaced - "No." I asked: Is KTM going to fix the problem? Dealer says: "What problem?"
Yes, they are too proud ro recognise a design flag.

2015 KTM 1190 :
2016 NINJA 1000 ABS