• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Getting a dirt bike road legal

Interesting... awesome thread ... let us know how it goes. Then send us a photo of the new road - street legal bike.

Last edited:
Will do. I feel content in pointing out section 14.30 in the TX MV Title code will carry more weight than first answer from the Texas MV Title Code According to Eric.

Attached is the trip home, nothing really to brag about just yet photowise - just stopped to check tie downs. I'll start a dedicated thread for it but there's the new toy for curious eyes. The sellers were cool people, A+ if yall stumble across this thread.

Attachments

• trip home.jpg
    trip home.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 591
Guadalupe

That's going to make tax office shopping to find someone in the know a little more difficult than it would be in some of the more populated counties.

You may also want to refer to the Texas Motor Vehicle Title Manual Book 451 page 14-17 titled "Modified Off-Highway Motorcycles." This is the instruction manual that tax clerks are supposed to use. If you can source the agency rule making in the Texas Register it would be even better, but finding anything in there is a real needle in a haystack kind of deal.

Yeah, I had the same **** happen, x2.

The law is the law, so point out 14.30

Registered an XR400 a little over a year ago, in Houston. Had the title, but the guy I bought it from couldn't get the title transferred, because the tile owner didn't sign with the same name printed in the title.
I had to end up going with a bonded title for three years. So I went from lost title to Bonded title, inspected, and licensed in one move. Just had to pay back taxes from when I first bought it. Lady at the County Office said I should have transferred it as soon as I bought it, with non-running status, or off-road only, then change it when it was ready to license. She said they do that a lot.

Thrill-billy, got a lot inspiration for the rebuild of my 400 from watching your XR400 build, thanks.

Last edited:
Updating, went in last week. Spoke to the clerks, pointed out 14.30, they agreed, called the regional office, verified. Said they'd do it. Oh...except the title didn't match the seller's name :doh:

So off I go to get a bonded title. Doing that now, but soon as I get that packet I'll go back in and see if I can finally get the registration done. And there will probably be another glitch when I finally get there, some kinda late fee penalty or something...

Geez, this bike is getting expensive. It's going to have to be a family heirloom now.

Updating, went in last week. Spoke to the clerks, pointed out 14.30, they agreed, called the regional office, verified. Said they'd do it. Oh...except the title didn't match the seller's name :doh:

So off I go to get a bonded title. Doing that now, but soon as I get that packet I'll go back in and see if I can finally get the registration done. And there will probably be another glitch when I finally get there, some kinda late fee penalty or something...

Geez, this bike is getting expensive. It's going to have to be a family heirloom now.

Stop. Stop making this harder than it needs to be. Throw away your bill of sale. They're useless, and not required

Take the title you have, and full out a new 130u (vehicle transfer form.

"Find whoever the titles name states and get them to sign it" ;-)

Sheeez

Stop. Stop making this harder than it needs to be. Throw away your bill of sale. They're useless, and not required

Sheeez

The method I used for the DR200. I found the original owner and sent him a snail mail with a self addressed envelope, a completed 130U for his signature and a note telling him I would meet with him if necessary. About a week later the 130 returned in the mail. He wanted out from under it as badly as I wanted the title correct. Bad part was I had to pay additional fees for it not being transferred correctly in the first place.

I did try to contact the titled owner, but # was no good. I thought about mailing the statement of affidavit to the address and a note but eh, I just didn't want to mess with waiting and wondering if the person did get it. Decided to call the title co and get on with it. It's all good though. I'm already ready to street-legal the next dirt bike.

While the administrative stuff is processing....a new VM24 carb, Rekluse and Trail Tech Vapor are going in now.

Sheeez

That would work, except the person was too far away, and didn't have a current address on them, anyways. But, yes, that would have been the best way. No title bond, no late fees.....

...Take the title you have, and full out a new 130u (vehicle transfer form.

Sheeez

The method I used for the DR200...

Not exactly. Ya'll are missing thrill-billy's "quotes" and winking emoticon above. If the title signature and 130 form signature are even remotely similar you'll have zero issue at the tax office. ;-) ;-) ;-) that is a triple wink there, get it now???

_

What I'm saying is this.

Wink. Wink. Wink. Wink. ;-) ;-) ;-)

Are you sure the old registered owner doesn't live inside You? Does he not live in us all?

Ps.... Sherlock Holmes doesn't work at your tax office.

Well I've ridden farther with you two than anybody so you know I'm no goody two shoes. In fact some may have a good argument that I'm not even a nice guy. I've bought bikes that needed title work because I trusted the seller's word. I'll pay for a bonded title before I'll commit a felony. It may be the easy thing to do, not likely to get caught, but there is just no good reason. I'm not judging anybody else's choice, people do it all the time, it just isn't me.:zen:

While the administrative stuff is processing....a new VM24 carb, Rekluse and Trail Tech Vapor are going in now.

I wish we had met a few months ago, I could have saved you a lot of work.
I could have sold you my sons old 2004’ e-start TTR125L already street titled with rekluse, BBR 150 kit and 26mm carb and YZ80 fork conversion.
Probably would have saved you a ton of $ and aggravation - lol.

Yes your were correct that project is probably getting real expensive with original bike purchase/title bond/recluse/etc.

Been there - done that. I’ll never get half of what was spent , but he did enjoy it for the 3-4 years he rode it.

In the end you will have a nice ride. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man no kidding. Would a been great to have caught you. Well the upside is I'll go through the whole process for ppw and modding the bike and will know how to get it done.

I wish we had met a few months ago, I could have saved you a lot of work.
I could have sold you my sons old 2004’ e-start TTR125L already street titled with rekluse, BBR 150 kit and 26mm carb and YZ80 fork conversion.

Yes your were correct that project is probably getting real expensive with original bike purchase/title bond/recluse/etc.

Been there - done that. I’ll never get half of what was spent , but he did enjoy it for the 3-4 years he rode it.

In the end you will have a nice ride. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a BBR 125L!... brings back good memories.

We also had a BBR'd out 125L,
This was my son's play bike back when he was 12yrs old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Titled and Registered, finally! :sun:

What a pain.
I kinda wanna plate another dirt bike now just to do it all smoothly from the beginning, you know, conquer the challenge to show The Man. I'll leave that for another time.

I wonder if that one rider ever got the ktm 450sxf street legal? Now that would be a street rod!

If a title was dated at sell a year ago is there a late penalty. white out would be too obvious. Trying to plate once plated Super Sherpa.
Can I transfer it before I get it inspected and plates? Guess I have to? I'm sure my question is redundant

If a title was dated at sell a year ago is there a late penalty. white out would be too obvious. Trying to plate once plated Super Sherpa.
Can I transfer it before I get it inspected and plates? Guess I have to? I'm sure my question is redundant

In order
Yes. Big penalty. Used to be $25/month
You can transfer a title before it's inspected, and plated
You can do both at the same time

If you know the person you bough it from, and trust them. Just have them get a new title at the regional title office, or by mail. And re-sign it, with a later date

Last edited:
In order
Yes. Big penalty. Used to be $25/month
You can transfer a title before it's inspected, and plated
You can do both at the same time

If you know the person you bough it from, and trust them. Just have them get a new title at the regional title office, or by mail. And re-sign it, with a later date

I just heard my friend that sold it to me, I can get a lost title duplicate, thanks

Where you been, how's the Jeep project?

Last edited:
Back