• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GPS Advice?!?

As for being able to see the screen, the biggest issue is my vision, not the unit. I would LOVE it if I could make the fonts bigger. I have everything set as big as it can go, but it is still just a hair too small. I used to be able to stand up and see it better, but not any more... :-|

Its NOT you or me, its the fonts are actually getting smaller... :trust:

I ordered the powered cradle thing too. Its backordered until today. :brainsnap If it doesn't ship today or tomorrow, I'll drop the missing bracket and get everything else quicker. :rider:

I've never ordered anything from these people, but I'm hoping they're honest. I have ordered parts from another vendor and called in mid-December (on a Friday) to check on a backordered part. They assured me it would be in Monday or Tuesday and shipped out to me the following day. Called again last Friday (Jan 5) and was told the same story. :wary: At least they lie consistently...

I think you'll be very happy with the Montana. I'm no GPS guru but I like mine. BTW, I've ordered a few things from GPS City and they've been very good.

I just got an email that mine shipped today. I already had a cradle, came with my KTM. At least, I hope it's the right one.

I have had my Montana for about 3 years.

Got rained on and does not act right sometimes.
It keeps defaulting to the default screen at times.

Still like my Montana and would buy another.
600 is not made anymore(?), so i have to go with 650, if its still made.

I have had my Montana for about 3 years.

Got rained on and does not act right sometimes.
It keeps defaulting to the default screen at times.

Still like my Montana and would buy another.
600 is not made anymore(?), so i have to go with 650, if its still made.

You can buy refurbished Montana 600's from GPSCity.com, but I think you're right, they have been discontinued. If you want the replacement model, its the Montana 610. The only difference is the inclusion of GLONASS (the Russian GPS system) in addition to the US GPS system. Having access to both systems results in better location performance, especially in wooded areas or in canyons.

You can buy refurbished Montana 600's from GPSCity.com, but I think you're right, they have been discontinued. If you want the replacement model, its the Montana 610. The only difference is the inclusion of GLONASS (the Russian GPS system) in addition to the US GPS system. Having access to both systems results in better location performance, especially in wooded areas or in canyons.

Thank you very much for that info.
Think i had rather go with the 610 then.

Thank you very much for that info.
Think i had rather go with the 610 then.

Its $100 premium. I choose the 600 because I've never heard anyone complain that the 600 has signal reception issues. But a 610 would have been fine if the 600s were sold out.

Bajaexplorer, according to this page, Garmin will exchange your out of warranty Montana 600 for a refurbished one for $160. https://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html
Call them and explain what you need.

That's a good deal there. A "new" refrubed 600 is $300. So scoring one for $160 is a deal.

Garmin must have a warehouse full of these repaired 600's

Last edited:
:tab The touchscreen on my first 600 died, right in the corners so you could not exit the map, even if you rotated between portrait and landscape mode. I think it was maybe a year old. Garmin replaced it for free. I've had my second one for at least 4-5 years now I think...? No problems with it other than the battery vibration issue I mentioned before.

Bajaexplorer, according to this page, Garmin will exchange your out of warranty Montana 600 for a refurbished one for $160. https://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html
Call them and explain what you need.

Well then maybe just send this one back.

Its $100 premium. I choose the 600 because I've never heard anyone complain that the 600 has signal reception issues. But a 610 would have been fine if the 600s were sold out.

That's a good deal there. A "new" refrubed 600 is $300. So scoring one for $160 is a deal.

Garmin must have a warehouse full of these repaired 600's

Seems I vaguely remember losing sig at one time, unsure.
Think i was in some heavy tree cover at the time.

I had always thought my Montana 600 was suppose to totally waterproof.
Looks what it is made for.

Well then maybe just send this one back.

I had always thought my Montana 600 was suppose to totally waterproof.

Looks what it is made for.

It is waterproof up to a certain standard. But sometimes that will fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used my 600 in torrential rains and it has never had an issue, unless maybe that touchscreen issue was rain related :shrug: The replacement has seen a LOT of wet service and still works fine.

Got it!

59b314a7ae135529d3f3ba9dcedd7e1c.jpg

And you already ran into a tree looking at it? :rofl:

I know! What lame GPS doesn't mark the trees??? I bet rocks and ruts aren't marked either... :lol2::rofl:

Naw, a car in front of me threw a miscellaneous piece of road rubbish my way. Think they can fix this windshield???

Last edited:
Hey you Montana users. Do you have to screw that screw on the "rugged GPS mount" to keep the GPS in the cradle? Or is that only to keep people without the tool from walking off with it?

My rugged mount has that screw, but somehow I lost the tool for it. It is a different fitting than the one on the 550. I think it adds a fair amount of security. The next most vulnerable spot is the Ram connection. There's a security fastener for it too, but I haven't messed with it. Most places I wind up with the Montana, I think I'm fairly secure. There are exceptions of course.

I have never used the "security screw". The only security might be to keep the GPS from falling out of the cradle, but not preventing theft. Not an issue as long as the GPS is properly seated in the cradle. I have had the GPS pop out of the cradle a couple of times, due to not having it properly seated. I always have it tethered to the handlebars so it does not hit the ground.

I wasn’t planning to use it either due to the lack of security inherent in the ram mount system I’ll be using. But I wanted to make sure the rugged mount still held well without the use of the screw. Keeping track of that specialized screwdriver was going to be hard.

The Garmin cradle does hold well without the screw if the unit is properly seated. Always use a tether as backup.

Just curious. It seems that all of you harder core dualsports gravitate to the Garmin Montana type unit. What does it do better or differently than my Zumo 590LM?

I can say that the dusty touch screen is a real issue. I'm constantly trying to wipe mine and losing my spot on the map right when I need it the most (that's why I wiped it in the first place).

Regarding the Garmin cradle it has been very secure. I've not had the unit come out even after some very nasty falls on rocks. I do wish Garmin had built in a little loop on the unit to put a tether through for some added security.

Montanas have a tether loop. :-)

Early Zumos had no track support. Some units then got limited track support thru firmware updates. I am not familiar with the level of track support on the 590. Tracks are the only way to be absolutely sure your intended path will be displayed without changes. Main hardware difference is the handheld class devices all have reflective screens. The brighter the sunlight, the better the contrast. They do not wash out in sunlight.

Dust is an issue on both. I keep one zipper of my tank bag open 3-4 inches and stuff a small dust cloth in the bag. I can pull the cloth out, wipe the screen and stuff the cloth back in with just my left hand.

Montanas have a tether loop. :-)

Early Zumos had no track support. Some units then got limited track support thru firmware updates. I am not familiar with the level of track support on the 590. Tracks are the only way to be absolutely sure your intended path will be displayed without changes. Main hardware difference is the handheld class devices all have reflective screens. The brighter the sunlight, the better the contrast. They do not wash out in sunlight.

Dust is an issue on both. I keep one zipper of my tank bag open 3-4 inches and stuff a small dust cloth in the bag. I can pull the cloth out, wipe the screen and stuff the cloth back in with just my left hand.

I'm going to start keeping a cloth handy for now on. Using my finger isn't that effective.

Overall I suck at working with GPS and I'm not sure why. I try but something always bites me in the butt. Ask my 2 riding buddy's in Mexico who followed me into the middle of a cow pasture in the pitch dark trying to get back to Galeana which was just a few miles away. :eek2:

I also tether mine. To ensure I have the unit seated I always squeeze the cradle from the side. If you watch the cradle when you push the release button you will see one side move out. It is the side the security screw is in.

Back