• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

need a new summer jacket

Reaction score
Well after 10 yrs I need to replace the favorite jacket. What I am looking for is a summer mesh/leather jacket. (Leather on elbows, back, and chest) CE armor in arms and back. I am not sure what is out there but post up what you like or think I might like.

thanks

I bought a FieldSheer mesh jacket last fall, after I ruined the one I was wearing. It has good armor in all the right place, with firm, non-mesh fabric on the shoulders and outer arms. Less sun gets through to heat my arm while sitting at a light than with my previous all-mesh jacket. Lots of air gets through while I'm moving. I forget where I bought it, but paid less than $80.

I am replacing a fieldsheer. I just wish they still made it or something like it.. I got it on closeout and it was only $50..

I recently picked up a Cortech GX Air that seems to be a pretty nice combination of leather and mesh. A little CE armor as well. I like the fit and finish of the jacket. Good air flow. Actually been a bit cool with only a t-shirt on underneath. While not top of the line, it has a pretty fair price.

I don't like the GX Air. Looks are secondary, but the back protector in a different color on the outside of the jacket, just looks goofy to me. I thought about that jacket a bit, but just didn't like that aspect of it. Anything but black, so that the back protector blends into the jacket, is just a weird looking jacket to me. But, looks are subjective. Just thought I would mention it in case you hadn't noticed that feature.

I have the Fielsheer Congo Air now. Clearance for $50. I like it, no problems, good safety features, fits well, and flows a tone of air.

If you aren't opposed to something stronger than leather and that flows more air you could consider the Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar.

After selling my 20 year old Roadcrafter I am thrilled with how well the Motoport Mesh material works in the Texas heat.

They aren't sexy, if fashion is a priority, but they are comfortable and functional. Plus you can customize colors, reflective material and pockets to your heart's desire.

The Kevlar Mesh pants are pretty sweet too.

Because the Kevlar Mesh material doesn't melt the way Cordura does when sliding along the pavement (requiring a natural fiber layer between shell and skin), you can wear your skivvies underneath for the ultimate air-flow experience.

Merino wool T's and tech-T's are great for keeping things cool under the jacket.

The GX Air probably meets your spec. I have one but find myself wearing my Olympia Air Glide 2 year around. The Air Glide is cooler for the hot & humid Houston Wx and warm enough for our winters, particularly with the liner.

I just picked up an Olympia Air Glide something or another recently as well and am very happy with it so far.

I'm a lot like you, I'll wear my gear until I wear it out. My current gloves are long in the tooth and are starting to come apart and need to be replaced. However, like you it's hard to bite the bullet and pay full price when you got such a good deal on the last similar item. My Teknic Violator II's were about $130 at list, marked down to $99 and then half off on clearance and I used a %30 off coupon to pick them up. Ouch on buying new ones. :D

Good luck in your search. Motoliberty has a good selection and can be on your way home if you plan it right. Just remember that the HOV is closed going out that way.

Motorcyclegear has the Cortech GX air on closeout. Still have a fair selection of sizes in most colors.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/stree...master/gx_air_series_2_motorcycle_jacket.html

That's the one I purchased. I really like it so far. I'm not very flashy so I went with the black one, which probably makes it hotter. The only downside is the back armor sits on your back, probably the hottest part, figure anything with a back plate would do this though. I looked at a really nice Frank Thomas jacket while I was at cyclegear checking out the Cortech. It was really nice as well, but the cortech fit me better and came with 2 liners.

Back