• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What use is TWT anyway? Is it important?

Interesting question, what use TWT Forum, and the participants (yes there are people behind all the posts) ?

Ok, I am going to uncork a bit here. I came and went to two motorcycle forums in the past four to five years. One was a local Houston forum, composed mostly of young riders. I participated a lot when I was new back into riding. And, I learned a LOT about freeway riding, general strategies, safety and such. Yet, I found the forum culture to often be just plain nasty. Negative commentary and snark were common, and Admin could care less. After a series of pretty nasty and rude comments on my questions and experiences, I just left, good bye.

Next was the Moto Guzzi forum as I ride one of the gorgeous Italian transverse V-twins. I did my very best to be a positive contributor. I learned a lot about the quirky bikes. Even met up with some local members and for nearly five years participated, had fun and made some virtual friends. About a month ago an Admin and several members got into trying to force me into attending a rally upcoming early this October. I wanted to go, I really did, but I have prior commitments and priorities. And longer distance riding on my Guzzi is very hard on my body. Nobody cared, and pressure mounted that got beyond my tolerance. So, unfortunately, I got very angry and deleted my account and left. I have mixed feelings, but in the end: were they friends? Were they kind? Were they tolerant of who I really am? Did they respect that at age 62 I might just be able to manage my own life? Nope. Very frustrating experience. I am still angry and disappointed.

Same experience with a personality type forum. Very difficult and wounding experience. Many of the forum participants I considered close friends, and yes I had seen them multiple times face to face. Admin turned on me, deliberately misunderstanding the written posts without context of facial and body language-- and allowing some members to go on vicious attacks. So, I left.

So, what is different here? I see an Admin enforcing respect. Christian values are applied. I think that TWT is a better place? Time will tell. Simply hold each other up. Do unto others...

As an introvert, I struggle at times with face to face meetings with new people. Large groups can really intimidate me. And this from a very mature retired guy, who has trod the Sahara sands of Tunisia, Libya and Egypt and drilled $150 million wells and raised a family and stayed married almost 30 years. Many do not "get" introverts: groups and small talk can drain our energy dramatically. But, we can be great to have around as we actually listen, are usually deep thinkers, and great story tellers in the right setting.

Enough I guess. Thanks for listening. Remember that even a few kind words can make a huge difference in someone's life. And words, like an arrow, once loosed -- cannot be taken back. So be careful when you speak or type.

Old, timeless thread.
I think, respect is what makes this forum great. I hope you will continue to contribute and benefit from TWT.

...As an introvert, I struggle at times with face to face meetings with new people. Large groups can really intimidate me. And this from a very mature retired guy, who has trod the Sahara sands of Tunisia, Libya and Egypt and drilled $150 million wells and raised a family and stayed married almost 30 years. Many do not "get" introverts: groups and small talk can drain our energy dramatically. But, we can be great to have around as we actually listen, are usually deep thinkers, and great story tellers in the right setting....

I get it. I don't generally like the bigger gathering either, but I'll go to some of them and just break it down into smaller groups, or go off on my own if I need some air. I'm old enough and stubborn enough that I'm only going to do what I'm going to do. Nobody will accuse me of being a good story teller though.

I do agree that this is a good place to be, I participated in a well moderated woodworking bulletin board several years ago and the mod kept all of the responsibility to himself and wore himself out. It finally came to an end. I wish he had seen Scot's model. Maybe it would still be around.

Lucydad, I first ran across you on the Guzzi site and enjoyed your posts, but there were times I felt I was being put down for being old school and fixing or repairing my bikes my way. I'm an extrovert and may be known to over do somethings, but the folks here seem to like this old coot, as I've allowed them to become a part of my family.

I do agree that this is a good place to be, I participated in a well moderated woodworking bulletin board several years ago and the mod kept all of the responsibility to himself and wore himself out. It finally came to an end. I wish he had seen Scot's model. Maybe it would still be around.

:tab It helped a LOT to set a standard early on and to really work at sticking with it. Once the users figured out what I was trying to do and that I was serious about it, my work load dropped tremendously. The users began self moderating for the most part and generally were patient with training the newcomers to the site. It wasn't until the number of members really started growing that I had to bring in some help. It got to the point where I simply could not read every single post and stay on top of every little brush fire.

:tab Time away every now and then also helps a LOT ;-)

:tab I am glad you guys (and gals :-P) enjoy the forum as much as you do :thumb:

As an introvert, I struggle at times with face to face meetings with new people. Large groups can really intimidate me.

Whoa ... it's like I wrote that.

I feel your pain ... I have to make a substantial effort to meet and greet new folks, wiggle my way into a crowd ...

Like toastmasters, the more I do it, the less painful it becomes. Doesn't diminish the effort required, but the benefits of putting oneself out there are tremendous.

I've been on email lists, BBSs and forums for 25 years. Admin, moderated, participated, developed, have been chastised, attacked, stalked, stunned, banned and dumped.

One truism I have learned is that this is the internet and not real life.

I believe you'll discover the general attitude of cordial accommodation found here also extends to gatherings and events. As GravelGuy once said "I visit other motorcycle forums but TWT is like my hometown." That pretty well summed it up.

Do we have our little spats from time to time? Yep. Since the early days of computer bulletin boards the anonymous nature of keyboard communication has tempted folks to vent passions and unchecked emotions that wouldn't happen in person. Feelings still get hurt. Over the years I've met and ridden with most - or all - of the moderators here. Every one of them share the belief of building people up - not tearing them down. I've seen them step in and close a thread when the situation required. I've seen them remove inflammatory posts that poisoned an otherwise worthy discussion. Heavy handed? So are traffic lights but we all seem to be better off.

We ride motorcycles here. Some for only a short while and others for a lifetime. We have youth and exuberance and we have maturity and experience. You'll find people here that you enjoy being with. No one gets left behind.

To build a little bit on what _RG_ said, the fact that we ride together goes a long way toward civility. Eventually everyone of us will end up across the table from other forum users. I met _RG_ on a random group ride and if history holds, am just as likely to run into Gravel Guy through serendipity as an organized forum ride. Other regional forums are similar. The D37 forum in Southern California is an example where people are focused on riding, rather than combative social criticism and commentary so common on national boards like ADV Rider. I could point to other regional or club examples as well as one or two exceptions.

TWT is more diverse than it might first appear. There are enough opportunities to "self select" the people you want to ride with and what to discuss. I'm not interested in religion as a social institution, so I'm never reading or posting on the prayer threads. Likewise, I always read the XR650 thread because it has become a hangout for the thumper riders in my area, XR owners or not. I used to dabble in photography so every so often I go to see what others are doing (some of it is getting impressive, BTW.) Come join the party or don't look over the fence... your choice.

I know a couple of people who prefer to remain behind their avatar and that's okay. But overall this is a small town climate and we run into everybody at the HEB eventually.

m

For me, discovering the TWT forum was a true God send. I have had a life long profound love of 2 wheels. But the guys I grew up riding with all stopped many decades ago, then we dispersed to assume our adult life roles and slowly lost track of one another. I felt like I wondered in the darkness for nearly 4 decades, wishing I still had a brotherhood of friends who were all about seeking the two wheeled fun in life. I so missed having an outlet for my pent up riding desires, & a network of fellow off road enthusiasts to have fellowship with. Discovering TWT suddenly ended my 40 years of wondering alone in the desert. Additionally, there is a myriad of practical assistance with technical problems or projects. At anytime one chooses, you can tap right into this vast pooled knowledge about all things motorcycle which TWT offers. Lastly, and equally huge for me was the ability to learn of and then attend off road riding events. Riding by yourself just isn't as fun and exciting as sharing the combined riding experiences of an entire group. I desperately needed acess to a like minded bunch of dirt heads, and true blue riders. I wondered around for decades thinking I was the only guy who hadn't outgrown his boyhood desires to spend as much time as possible on a dirt bike & live the life style of a dual sport vagabond. Discovering this rider forum profoundly changed and enhanced my life! I now know many kindred souls who love the outdoors and bikes just as much as myself. I shall remain forever great full!

TWT is a great community. Lots great folks and good friends. Some that I've been able to meet in person and some that I haven't had the pleasure of their handshake yet.

I don't get over here that often, and I haven't got to meet anyone yet, but I'm glad TWT is here!

Once I can get a bike running reliably, I definitely want to meet up with some of the members here! :mrgreen:

Everyone's name should be green!
I mean really, if you can't afford to give $5 a month, you can't afford to ride a motorcycle.
This site has connected me to lifelong friends and is full of so much beneficial and fun information.
Thankyou Scott and all who help with keeping this site going!

Back